Times Now judgement: Media bodies express 'deep dismay' at SC ruling

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Yusuf, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

The Times of India on Mobile

Makes me scared. Guys please post without pushing baseless allegation or dragging any personalities with the purpose to insult or abuse. Never know what try can do esp it they are powerful people. Staff of DFI is piss poor to handle any legal claim.

3. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

Personally, I think Barack Obama, Leon Panetta, and Hillary Clinton are the best kind of people. You can quote me.

4. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Relax there is difference between one person ranting and a newspaper doing a character assassination on a judge.

I newspaper should be fined but amount seems steep! a couple of crores should have been the limit but then again in usa courts award millions for much simpler offenses.

5. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

And media personnel should be brought down a notch or two imo. They think they are some kind of saints with supernatural power that they can drag someones name through the mud without any repercussions ? Ive seen media people acting like cunts on the streets and shouting at officials and showing there media sticker on car.

There needs to be accountability in everything and not only in govt.

KS likes this.
  6. SLASH

SLASH Senior Member Senior Member

I absolutely agree with you. They need to be brought to their place. With power comes responsibility. Our media forgets it all the time.

I know people who love throwing their weight on traffic hawaldaars when caught by showing their Press Card.

7. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Hmm.. what does the law say about individual posts on a blog/discussion forum? It should be interesting to find that out. The staff should have done its homework on that front by now - the forum is popular enough now.

Personally speaking, I will pitch in with all the weight I can possibly put behind DFI (financial and otherwise ) if some such thing were to happen.

I am sure the blogger community will put their weight behind DFI too. Do you remember that case where a Norwegian-Indian blogger said some pretty uncomplimentary things about Barkha Dutt? NDTV hounded him and threatened to slap a case on him. The entire Indian blogger community worldwide was infuriated and outraged. They made so much noise that NDTV didn't know where to hide. NDTV had to beat a hasty and quick retreat.

8. Bangalorean

9. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

There are 100's of Blogs which exposing Barkha Dutt and so called Paid Media on regular basis. Even she is tired enough to block twitter account. Few days back there was article that Diggy going to take legal action against few blogs who uses unparliamentary language but in same news (TOI) comment section, There were 100's of repetitive personal attack on Diggy. He didn't took any action, If he took then 100 times more reply would have come from 1,000 of sources. It's not possible to take action against 1,000 of Blogs, Facebook Page and Twitter account. Majority of active Internet users are Anti- Paid media.

10. Bangalorean

Yes, the internet is the last bastion of free speech. Never ever allow anyone to take this freedom away. Fight tooth and nail against anyone who threatens to take that freedom away from us, or to put the internet under any restrictive laws.

11. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

I believe Tihar has been so well refurbished, it maybe five star and free 'fooding' and lodging and good exercises and learning a new trade!!

National Rural and Urban Employment Guarantee?

And the best part is that you can collect a lot of high profile VIP autographs and have yourself photographed with them and then call yourself a Freedom Fighter - fighting for everything that is free (from scrutiny, that is)!

It will also help after release because one can walk into any of their high profile offices when they are released and have a cup of tea and make great 'businees' deals!

And one could even get into movies since there is a film producer there too!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  12. Yusuf

We dont know how the law is interpreted and who files what. DFI has a disclaimer right at the bottom.

But then we dont know who can catch us under what section of any law. It is alright to "NOT LIKE" a person. But what i am bothered about is the allegation and loose talk esp about Sonia Gandhis and Rahul Gandhis without any unsubstantiated evidence. Imagine even LK Advani had to back out and say sorry. So i am concerned about how members post here esp when it comes to certain people.

13. Ray

Give Me Liberty Or Give Me Death

Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775.

No man thinks more highly than I do of the patriotism, as well as abilities, of the very worthy gentlemen who have just addressed the House. But different men often see the same subject in different lights; and, therefore, I hope it will not be thought disrespectful to those gentlemen if, entertaining as I do opinions of a character very opposite to theirs, I shall speak forth my sentiments freely and without reserve. This is no time for ceremony. The questing before the House is one of awful moment to this country. For my own part, I consider it as nothing less than a question of freedom or slavery; and in proportion to the magnitude of the subject ought to be the freedom of the debate. It is only in this way that we can hope to arrive at truth, and fulfill the great responsibility which we hold to God and our country. Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings.

Mr. President, it is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts. Is this the part of wise men, engaged in a great and arduous struggle for liberty? Are we disposed to be of the number of those who, having eyes, see not, and, having ears, hear not, the things which so nearly concern their temporal salvation? For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know of no way of judging of the future but by the past. And judging by the past, I wish to know what there has been in the conduct of the British ministry for the last ten years to justify those hopes with which gentlemen have been pleased to solace themselves and the House. Is it that insidious smile with which our petition has been lately received? Trust it not, sir; it will prove a snare to your feet. Suffer not yourselves to be betrayed with a kiss. Ask yourselves how this gracious reception of our petition comports with those warlike preparations which cover our waters and darken our land. Are fleets and armies necessary to a work of love and reconciliation? Have we shown ourselves so unwilling to be reconciled that force must be called in to win back our love? Let us not deceive ourselves, sir. These are the implements of war and subjugation; the last arguments to which kings resort. I ask gentlemen, sir, what means this martial array, if its purpose be not to force us to submission? Can gentlemen assign any other possible motive for it? Has Great Britain any enemy, in this quarter of the world, to call for all this accumulation of navies and armies? No, sir, she has none. They are meant for us: they can be meant for no other. They are sent over to bind and rivet upon us those chains which the British ministry have been so long forging. And what have we to oppose to them? Shall we try argument? Sir, we have been trying that for the last ten years. Have we anything new to offer upon the subject? Nothing. We have held the subject up in every light of which it is capable; but it has been all in vain. Shall we resort to entreaty and humble supplication? What terms shall we find which have not been already exhausted? Let us not, I beseech you, sir, deceive ourselves. Sir, we have done everything that could be done to avert the storm which is now coming on. We have petitioned; we have remonstrated; we have supplicated; we have prostrated ourselves before the throne, and have implored its interposition to arrest the tyrannical hands of the ministry and Parliament. Our petitions have been slighted; our remonstrances have produced additional violence and insult; our supplications have been disregarded; and we have been spurned, with contempt, from the foot of the throne! In vain, after these things, may we indulge the fond hope of peace and reconciliation. There is no longer any room for hope. If we wish to be free-- if we mean to preserve inviolate those inestimable privileges for which we have been so long contending--if we mean not basely to abandon the noble struggle in which we have been so long engaged, and which we have pledged ourselves never to abandon until the glorious object of our contest shall be obtained--we must fight! I repeat it, sir, we must fight! An appeal to arms and to the God of hosts is all that is left us!

They tell us, sir, that we are weak; unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be the next week, or the next year? Will it be when we are totally disarmed, and when a British guard shall be stationed in every house? Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot? Sir, we are not weak if we make a proper use of those means which the God of nature hath placed in our power. The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us. Besides, sir, we shall not fight our battles alone. There is a just God who presides over the destinies of nations, and who will raise up friends to fight our battles for us. The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave. Besides, sir, we have no election. If we were base enough to desire it, it is now too late to retire from the contest. There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! Our chains are forged! Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston! The war is inevitable--and let it come! I repeat it, sir, let it come.

It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace-- but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!

Patrick Henry: Give Me Liberty Or Give Me Death

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    W.G.Ewald likes this.
  14. SPIEZ

SPIEZ Senior Member Senior Member

Censoring the internet is the last straw of the govt, since all the TV channels seemed to have been bought up buy the INC.

I remember when Annaji's fast started all the media were completely behind it. A few weeks back, the TIMES NOW( I think) aired a piece that said that Annaji was a pawn of Ryesyes A la DIG"G". How pathetic!

15. Yusuf

Exactly the kind of things i am talking about. Both govt and media will demand proof and sue.

16. Ray

Loose talk (personal opinion) about others would then be equally culpable.

I would be surprised if the Honourable Courts feel that it is only Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi who are the Holy Cows!

While one should not be irresponsible, but I daresay India has become China!

Let us not feel that the Congress Party is the CCP and the Gandhis Hu and Wen.

That is insulting to the Congress and to their supreme leaders!

They also believe in democracy and the freedom of man and their right to speech and thought!

Let us not encourage a feeling that some sort of totalitarianism has hit India!

I have faith in India and I have faith in our democracy and our Judiciary!

Let us not get paranoiac!

17. SPIEZ

SPIEZ Senior Member Senior Member

^^^
    This should be enough food for thought. Why take him to the heights, and dump him all of a sudden ?

18. Ray

At the way it is being presented, the thread on South vs North could also come under spreading hatred!

If that is so, we might as well pack up this forum and go and hunker down and wait for the midnight knock on the door!

19. Ray

A business house can always be twisted by its tails.

As Yusuf has himself said, businesses are not ethical in their entire dealing and surely there will be something to squeeze their gonads with.

But then Yusuf is right.

Why take a chance.

Let us close this forum.

That is the safest way out!

20. Bangalorean

I think Yusuf's fear is more about taking on powerful personalities.

The comments section on ToI has enough North vs. South, Mumbai vs. Bihar/UP, etc. etc. every week to fill DFI's annual hate quota.

His worry is more about pissing off powerful people who can make it an ego issue and sue DFI. Personally, I wouldn't be too worried.

21. Ray

Not quite.

If someone had the money and the time, one could file a case against all and then have them roasted!

I personally feel that the powerful personalities have greater windmills to flay their lances than such forums as DFI which can neither influence or affect negative the public opinion.

I think one overestimates one's own utility and importance on the national scene!

Notwithstanding, one has to maintain a civil tongue in the head and which I have insisted, but have myself been flayed for the same.

I never use impolite sentences or words or even words like BS, but I have no hesitation in speaking my mind.

For instance when someone used the word 'bastard', I said that it would be better to congratulate the person the epithet was addressed to as being fortunate to see his/ her parents' wedding - a very rare opportunity indeed!