Time to conduct megaton weapon test

The Ultranationalist

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Test a nuke now and the world will know India is tactically inferior even to defend. That's the message that will go around...............Those things are done by inferior nations like Pakistan and North Koria.

As for rest well do it.
Foolish assumption, test a nuke now and send chill down the comrade's spine. By the way you may want to change your signature its both stupid and abusive.

prohumanity

Country flag
If Indira Gandhi or Vajpayee bought this doctrine that "we should not upset western nations by detonating Nuclear bombs" India would have been a very weak military power. Raw truth is Nukes are Nukes....why there is so much reaction about Nuke talk. Because they matter. A formidable Nuclear arsenal reduces need for other high tech expensive weapons as Nukes are the weapons of ultimate deterrence. Yes...weapons manufacturers and sellers will not like Nukes as they will plummet the ugly and fat profits of weapon makers and suppliers.
If Nukes were useless why USA has 7000+ nukes and Why Russia has 5000+ Nukes...Isn't that proof enough of power of Nukes. Its like saying I can have a Gun but I don't want you to have a Gun. Because if you too have a Gun...I can't control and enslave you...You become equal to me. Satya Mev Jayate.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
If Indira Gandhi or Vajpayee bought this doctrine that "we should not upset western nations by detonating Nuclear bombs" India would have been a very weak military power. Raw truth is Nukes are Nukes....why there is so much reaction about Nuke talk. Because they matter. A formidable Nuclear arsenal reduces need for other high tech expensive weapons as Nukes are the weapons of ultimate deterrence. Yes...weapons manufacturers and sellers will not like Nukes as they will plummet the ugly and fat profits of weapon makers and suppliers.
If Nukes were useless why USA has 7000+ nukes and Why Russia has 5000+ Nukes...Isn't that proof enough of power of Nukes. Its like saying I can have a Gun but I don't want you to have a Gun. Because if you too have a Gun...I can't control and enslave you...You become equal to me. Satya Mev Jayate.
:shock:

The US and Russia don't have that many nukes, more like in the 1500 nos. range; the number of launchers are less than 500, I think.

I think what you're talking about includes leftovers from the cold-war era which are in storage at &/or in the process of being dismantled and disposed

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace

Approximate number of nuclear weapons shared between various nations around the world.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

Approximate number of nuclear weapons shared between various nations around the world.
Pretty sure these numbers include inactive or de-activated cold war relics.

Why am I sure?

Because the START II*** limits the number of warheads to around 1800 or something. Both US and Russia have signed.

EDIT:
***My bad: It is called NEW START and limits deployed warheads to 1550 nos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_START

Signed and Ratified by both the USA and Russian Federation.

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
Pretty sure these numbers include inactive or de-activated cold war relics.

Why am I sure?

Because the START II*** limits the number of warheads to around 1800 or something. Both US and Russia have signed.

EDIT:
***My bad: It is called NEW START and limits deployed warheads to 1550 nos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_START

Signed and Ratified by both the USA and Russian Federation.
It's a 10 year program with option of 5 year extension.
Recently, Putin said that Russia will not going to reduce its Nuclear arsenal but also will Upgrade it ..

Khagesh

:shock:

The US and Russia don't have that many nukes, more like in the 1500 nos. range; the number of launchers are less than 500, I think.

I think what you're talking about includes leftovers from the cold-war era which are in storage at &/or in the process of being dismantled and disposed

Dismantled and disposed.

At what rate?

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0096340215571913?journalCode=bosb
"As of early 2015, the authors estimate that the US Defense Department maintains about 4,760 nuclear warheads. Of this number, they estimate that approximately 2,080 warheads are deployed while 2,680 warheads are in storage. In addition to the warheads in the Defense Department stockpile, approximately 2,340 retired but still intact warheads are in storage under the custody of the Energy Department and awaiting dismantlement, for a total US inventory of roughly 7,100 warheads. Since New START entered into force in February 2011, the United States has reported cutting a total of 158 strategic warheads and 88 launchers. It has plans to make some further reductions by 2018. Over the next decade, it also plans to spend as much as $350 billion on modernizing and maintaining its nuclear forces."

So what is the time they would require to reach Start levels?

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
MIRV tech has been demonstrated with the record satellite launches all IRBM's india has can be potential
ASAT weapons. K-15 has also been rumored to be possibly MIRV'd?
It can't be. It do not travel at a required height to release MIRV.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Dismantled and disposed.

At what rate?

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0096340215571913?journalCode=bosb
"As of early 2015, the authors estimate that the US Defense Department maintains about 4,760 nuclear warheads. Of this number, they estimate that approximately 2,080 warheads are deployed while 2,680 warheads are in storage. In addition to the warheads in the Defense Department stockpile, approximately 2,340 retired but still intact warheads are in storage under the custody of the Energy Department and awaiting dismantlement, for a total US inventory of roughly 7,100 warheads. Since New START entered into force in February 2011, the United States has reported cutting a total of 158 strategic warheads and 88 launchers. It has plans to make some further reductions by 2018. Over the next decade, it also plans to spend as much as $350 billion on modernizing and maintaining its nuclear forces."

So what is the time they would require to reach Start levels?
You see, since they are not in active service it would take a couple days to assemble them and mate them to a launch platform, by which time an enemy could bomb the storage location.
Hence these warheads in storage/awaiting dismantling etc are a liability and just sucks money.
This is my understanding of this matter,
-----------------
@TPFscopes
Russia upgrading means they are bettering their ICBM and SLBM technology, by removing soviet era icbm like "Satan" and replacing with the newer "Sarmat" under development.

no smoking

Country flag
You see, since they are not in active service it would take a couple days to assemble them and mate them to a launch platform, by which time an enemy could bomb the storage location.
Hence these warheads in storage/awaiting dismantling etc are a liability and just sucks money.
Just a simple question, except Russia and USA, who else has the necessary quality and quantity weapons to penetrate the 2 most intense air-defense networks in the world, attack those storing sites which deep inside both countries and are hundreds if not thousands meters underground?

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Just a simple question, except Russia and USA, who else has the necessary quality and quantity weapons to penetrate the 2 most intense air-defense networks in the world, attack those storing sites which deep inside both countries and are hundreds if not thousands meters underground?
The logic you seek from my post is in your question itself.

It is the mutual fear of each other which compelled Russia (USSR) and the US to increase their stockpiles to the tens of thousands. And it is by mutual understanding that they have agreed on New START, which binds to Russia and the US only.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
actually both US and Russia keep a percent of their nukes mated, like the one in submarines. no other country does that becoz of US wrath.
Of course they do. But that is included in the 1500-1800 warheads as per the New START treaty.

I was talking about the ones in cold storage, which is what people are referring to when mentioning the 7000 warheads number.

prohumanity

Country flag
Exact number of nukes by a country is redundant point. The important point is to have enough nukes by India that no power in the world can even think of attacking India. That's the whole point. Besides, very credible, very reliable and strong Nuclear force of India will save billions of dollars every year which go for buying high tech weaponry.
This huge sums of saved money can be used to provide good nutrition, good education and solid infrastructure for the nation's 1.2 billion people.

no smoking

Country flag
The logic you seek from my post is in your question itself.

It is the mutual fear of each other which compelled Russia (USSR) and the US to increase their stockpiles to the tens of thousands. And it is by mutual understanding that they have agreed on New START, which binds to Russia and the US only.
That is not a question, I just tell you: there is no one else can put any meaningful threat on these sites deep inside these 2 countries. As long as both of them are still respecting the treaty and keep their nuclear warhead under the limit, they fear no one.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles