Ties fail to take off, China out of Indian Show

kickok1975

NEW DELHI: The winter is on exit mode, but Sino-Indian defence ties looks set to remain frozen. Suspended last year after Beijing refused to grant visa to northern army commander lieutenant general B S Jaswal, the concord between the two neighbours shows no sign of a thaw as New Delhi has chosen not to invite China for the five-day Aero India beginning in Bangalore next week.

The Ministry of Defence not only stopped at blocking the invitation for the February 9-13 military show; it has also barred Chinese journalists from covering the biennial event tipped to be the biggest-ever air fair conducted in the country where all the world's aviation gia¬nts would jostle to tap a fast-growing market.

Not that China has been an enthusiastic participant in the previous editions — it has, in fact, been staying away from the event even after getting an invitation. The only exception was last time when its 10-member team visited Bangalore in 2009 when both countries sensed a thaw in ties.

The government has blocked accreditation of Chinese journalists eager to cover the much-hyped Aero India 2011. Leo Zhe¬ngjun Liao, a representative of People's Daily here, says he and some of his colleagues failed to get media passes. MoD officials say they went by the advice of the Ministry of External Affairs

India denies visa to Chinese Journalist

New Delhi, Feb3 (TruthDive): In what appears to be yet another low in the Indo-Chinese relations, the Ministry of Defense(MOD) has refused visas to Chinese journalists who wanted to cover the upcoming aero show in Bangalore. The Ministry of External Affairs has asked the MOD not to invite Chinese Air Force to take part in the show.

The Chinese had earlier refused visa to a northern army commander lieutenant general B S Jaswal to take part in a military exchange programme. The reason being that the officer is in charge of Jammu and Kashmir which China treats as a disputed territory like Arunachal Pradesh. In December 2010 Jaswal had retired from service. With Military exchange on hold a group of Chinese cadets applied for training in the National Defense Academy but they too were denied visa.

Aero India 2011, the biennial air show organized by the Ministry of Defense in association with the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) will commence from February 9 to 13, 2011 at Bangalore. The eighth edition of Asia's leading air show organized by the Department of Defense Production will be held at Yelahanka Air Force Station and will attract aerospace and defense majors from across the world.

Other countries that are not invited are Pakistan and Iran. China had not shown any interest in the Aero India show till last year. The Tibetan monk Karamapa being branded a Chinese spy has irked the neighbor. It has dubbed it as yet an instance of India's anti- China propaganda

SHASH2K2

Given the amount of mistrust we have and Anti ant Indian activity by chinese government its not surprising at all. Perhaps china in this show would have been surprising. Moreover they didn't come to last Airshow so why waste resource by inviting them.
Is this recent interest in attending the show due to Raptor coming ?

kickok1975

Well, it is certainly not good news to hear. I find a major Chinese website briefly reported the news in a low profile place but still attracted plenty people to leave their comments. Of course most of them are angry.

I guess this might be a retaliation of GOI for staping visa incident and denying Indian general visa to Marine time meeting. But most Chinese don't know such things and they may wondering why India is so hostile to China.

Last edited:

SHASH2K2

Well, it is certainly not good news to hear. I find a major Chinese website briefly reported the news in a low profile place but still attracted plenty people to leave their comments. Of course most of them are angry.

I guess this might be a retaliation of GOI for stapling visa incident and denying Indian general visa to Marine time meeting.
Even if its retaliation its very small gesture compared to what we all are expecting GOI to do . You cannot have best of both world . China decided to go on offensive without caring for Indian reaction and when we give even a mild reaction there will be a hue and cry from other side. China chose Pakistan as its ally and India as an enemy and when we are acting like one why all reaction. China is not acting like a friendly country and should be expecting a friendly response .

kickok1975

So it looks like our relationship is getting worse before it's getting better. It's an unfortunate situation we have to face. I just hope normal people have less resent and move on.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Well, things could have been so much better. :sad:

Let us see what the future holds.

SHASH2K2

So it looks like our relationship is getting worse before it's getting better. It's an unfortunate situation we have to face. I just hope normal people have less resent and move on.
Kikock when I was growing up I knew about only one enemy of India ie Pakistan but in recent few years Chinese action are proving that they are bigger threat to India. Maybe they are not ready to have a large country in their neighborhood. But they forget that they can change nature of relationship but not the neighbor. We should and could still have better relationship . But it all depend on china as we are still in reactive mode .

kickok1975

When I still was a Child in early 80's I already watched Indian movie in China and had impression of nice Indian people dancing and singing. I never know India is a threat to China until a couple years ago that some reports said Indian is becoming a chess piece of US strategy to contain China's rising which makes some Chinese nervous.

I guess we all have illusion one is going to contain another. Western Medias like to compare India and China all the time and when lies were told a thousand times, they become truth. Gradually some people even our own governments in both countries become suspicious of one another. They are doing exactly what western countries wants them to do, a fierce competition between India and China and zero sum game between them. Of course we know who will be the big winner at the end of it, for sure neither India nor China.

So I guess we have to figure out of a way to deal with this complicated relationship.

Last edited:

SHASH2K2

When I still was a Child in early 80's I already watched Indian movie in China and had impression of nice Indian people dancing and singing. I never know India is a threat to China until a couple years ago that some reports said Indian is becoming a chess piece of US strategy to contain China's rising which makes some Chinese nervous.

I guess we all have illusion one is going to contain another. Western Medias like to compare India and China all the time and when lies were told a thousand times, they become truth. Gradually some people even our own governments in both countries become suspicious of others intention. They are doing exactly what western countries wants them to do, a fierce competition between India and China and zero sum game between them. Of course we know who will be the big winner at the end of it, for sure neither India nor China.

So I guess we have to figure out of a way to deal with this complicated relationship.
Kikock if you follow India closely we are still not ready to become USA ally . We still pursue independent diplomacy . sometimes India and USA may work closely but we are not allies for sure. India has very few option left but to side with USA because with increase in its economic and military might China is acting more aggressively and is least bothered about its neighbors.If India goes with USA its china thats pushing us towards them .

Last edited:

Rage

DFI TEAM

I guess we all have illusion one is going to contain another. Western Medias like to compare India and China all the time and when lies were told a thousand times, they become truth. Gradually some people even our own governments in both countries become suspicious of others intention. They are doing exactly what western countries wants them to do, a fierce competition between India and China and zero sum game between them. Of course we know who will be the big winner at the end of it, for sure neither India nor China.

We are no chess-piece.

We contain China, because it is our strategic interest to do so.

We have a border dispute, and there is this perception that China is an irredentist state seeking to claim more land than it is worth.

We are suspicious of China ever since the '62 war, and the national humiliation, but blame our leaders more for it than any act of overt or covert aggression by China.

We will have a problem of lebensraum, pretty soon. And any threat on our territory is a threat against the people and social fabric of India. Which is why we will never give up a part of our territory, from Kashmir to Arunachal Pradesh.

We have always had great power aspirations. And we are two powers vying for the same resources, the same oil and the same soil. Some friction, if not conflict, is inevitable.

We are no fools, however. We will continue to keep good people-people contacts on both sides of the border. The Chinese as a civilization, share many cultural affinities and traits with the Indian civilization. But when it comes to our strategic interests, our defense and our paradigms and prerogatives, expect no compromise.

I suspect this, though was a product of the U.S. bringing its F-22 and its F-35 cockpit simulator to India.

Last edited:

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
[JOKE]

I think life will be much easier once Pakistan collapses and disintegrates. Once that happens, China and India will have only each other, and the border issues will be resolved in double quick time. Then we'll have trade and peace :love:

[JOKE OFF]

:balle:

kickok1975

I personally never thought India is a chess piece of US. I just refer to some reports. India is a proud country with plenty proud people living there; I know you will never compromise your national dignity for some foreign aid. After all, god will only help those who help themselves.

I'm just not happy with our current relationship.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag

I guess this might be a retaliation of GOI for stapling visa incident and denying Indian general visa to Marine time meeting. But most Chinese don't know such things and they may wondering why India is so hostile to China.
kickoff - thanks again for starting an interesting topic - we sure could do with more members like yourself

about the topic - i wonder why many chinese seem angry as you have written after all in the past when invited they didint really feel enthusiastic about attending ?

regarding being a so called containment equipment for the USA , even if it were true ( strongly denied by many members here), didnt prc themselves benefit by cooperating with the usa in "attempting to contain" the then ussr ?

i applaud the goi for taking this moderately strong stand against a bully neighbour three times the size of friendly india and yet wanting to nit pick about some rellatively small territories which really should not matter too much to a country of 9 million sq kilometre

i only hope this will be the start of a more determined attitude by GOI to avoid being pushed around any further .

kickok1975

There are 1743 comments there so far. Chinese are getting angry because it's surprising and shocking news. The air show invited 65 countries around world but China is not one of them. Even Chinese journalists based in India are not allowed to attend. It's like you invite all residents in village to your party except your neighbor, and close door and all windows in case he is watching it.

It's a slap on the face and many Chinese never thought India could be so unfriendly. Such action may have impact on future government interaction and makes Indian people feel good, but hurt ordinary Chinese feelings since most of them have limited knowledge about India, China's recent struggles.

Last edited:

Vladimir79

Professional
China wasn't the only one not invited to Aero-India. Pakistan of course, but Iran is off the list. Strange turn of events.

Anil Sankar

Good job. Why do we borther it invite second class manufacturer so hostile to Indian anyway?

JayATL

^^^ if anything they are more advanced than India in manufacturing.

why do you think countries continue to trade more with them. They would prefer to do it w/ India. But India came about a decade late into it, so it will catch up and reap the benefits in the coming years BUT as of now China sits pretty good .

JayATL

There are 1743 comments there so far. Chinese are getting angry because it's surprising and shocking news. The air show invited 65 countries around world but China is not one of them. Even Chinese journalists based in India are not allowed to attend. It's like you invite all residents in village to your party except your neighbor, and close door and all windows in case he is watching it.

It's a slap on the face and many Chinese never thought India could be so unfriendly. Such action may have impact on future government interaction and makes Indian people feel good, but hurt ordinary Chinese feelings since most of them have limited knowledge about India, China's recent struggles.

A wise man ( me) once said "You can't piss on someone and then ask him for some water"

Here is thing, I read on this thread that Pakistan and Iran are banned too. Seems like it NATO countries may have objected too. Can you please pass this message to that board with its thousands of commentators . Indians are asking - What did they think of a Indian General being banned entry into China or Stapling of Visas? This makes Indians shocked and very very very very very very angry .

Last edited:

Minghegy

I personally think the idea was from US, they did the same in Olympic opening ceremony, Bush did not want to attend with Nejad, so China arranged Nejad attend Paralympic opening ceremony.

At Aero India, China, Iran blacked out, US No. 1 guest
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/At-Aero-India--China--Iran-blacked-out--US-No--1-guest/744988

US wants to break into India military aero market (F35 and other advanced weapons), China wants to export J16 (a stealth version of Su27), these two will make the Russian military industry nervous.

pmaitra

If PRC and Pakistan were banned, I would probably think it was India. However, since Iran is also banned, it tempts me to think that it was probably not a purely Indian decision.

In any event, how would the participation of PRC have helped India anyway?

I hear that some commentators in PRC are not particularly happy about PRC, or journalists therefrom, not being invited or allowed at Aero India. One piece of advise for them: Instead of wasting time commenting and venting their anger, they might as well go find a job at a staple manufacturing plant, because they will need a mighty lot of staples to issue VISAs to Indians from Arunachal Pradesh and J&K.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles