'Tibetan radicals may jeopardize relations with India'

amitkriit

If India does support an armed conflict with China then what can China do in responce?

It will arm Pakistan even more, not that they are already not doing that, they will support every anti-india movement inside India like the Maoists. That again is already there anyway. The worst problem would be an VERY LONG border getting highly volatile and we will lose peace in our northern border.
Fear of unknown is our worst enemy, it has converted us into a timid, spineless nation. I feel really disgusted when western media claims that a failed state like Pakistan is our Arch Rival. To grow big, we will have to think big (off course we will have to be real). No pain, no gain.

Its not that China is surrounded by best buddies, remember if India starts playing tricks, it will have to divert it's attention from Taiwan, Japan and South China sea to it's long southern border. China will become weak in it's own backyard.

debasree

Country flag
actually if tibetans approch such hard line it will be benificial for us ,as we know the various north east insurjents receive direct or indirect help from china ,we can thus force them to stop this as if they stop to sapport them we will also reseprocate.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Ya rite'O! Then France or west can sell us more arms and benifit from our blood money! Good idea..:whistle:
The strong survive, the weak perish. Time to grow some ballz. Sarko grew his and now we reap the rewards.

Param

Actually it's a good time for these Tibetans to act. It will force India and the world at large to act and act in support of the Tibetans.
Great, why should we act? Why should we risk India lives and peace in the border for Foreigners?

You are advocating that we should support a Tibetan struggle but you would not apply the same yardstick to SL. Hypocrisy.

Btw there is not much we can do in this regard. Instead of dreaming about a Tibetan insurgency we should make sure that infrastructure on the Indo-Tibetan border is improved in time.
Otherwise when the next war happens we might ones again see supplies being transported on the back of Mules and Donkeys.

Param

No an insurgency by the Tibetans will help. We should give them all the support
Sir, we cannot sponsor terrorism against another country. Remember a terrorist is a terrorist. Even if he fights for freedom he is still a terrorist. What do we call the militant Kashmiri separatists?

johnee

China attacks without pretext... remember? China already does this with the Maoists, it is time for some reactive policy.
Well said. When China does decide to attack it needs no excuse, it will invent one. And if it does not want to attack, then no reason will be sufficient. In short, India should stop worrying about provoking China because India cannot control that. China will ignore all provocations as long as it suits them. At the same time, a most trivial issue may be enough provocation for it, when the time is right for them.

charlyondfi

The strong survive, the weak perish. Time to grow some ballz. Sarko grew his and now we reap the rewards.
Dear ARmond: I do feel disgusted this is the 2nd time, in addition to that "China kicked out of Libya" thread, you keep boasting how France "win" there, and "reap the rewards". I hope you are NOT indicating that's the objective for "balls...Sarko grew his"
If you really need a ball to boast of French, try this: under commanded by Napoleon III, France invaded Vietnam at 1858. After killing thousands, or maybe tens of thousands, France "reaped the reward" of a land of twice its size (incl Lao & Cambodia), 20% rice production then at world, and a strategic point at South Asia. How is that ball compared to Sarko's this time? Happy?
-- Frankly speaking, I even doubt you are the beneficiary of what France will "reap the reward" at Libya. History tells us, most of the trophy of war goes to the top 5%~10%, actually. If you do belong to them, I congratulate you...

johnee

Sir, we cannot sponsor terrorism against another country. Remember a terrorist is a terrorist. Even if he fights for freedom he is still a terrorist. What do we call the militant Kashmiri separatists?
There is a difference between a terrorist and a freedom fighter. As long as you fight only the armed forces(and policy makers), you can be considered a freedom fighter. On the other hand, a terrorist wantonly targets the civilians to create panic and terror.

A freedom fighter may transform into a terrorist.

Should Tibetans fight for freedom? Yes.
Should India support them? Maybe or maybe not.
Should Tibetans become Terrorists? No.

Just because someone is a freedom fighter, does not mean his cause is right. Similarly, just because someone is a terrorist does not mean his cause is wrong.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
So its allright in getting pin pricked at every turn ?
Pin prick should be reciprocated by pin pricks not a gun shot. The situation with China is some what easing so its better to stay the course than we Asians get into conflict and sell our pockets to europe to buy weapons.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Its not the survival of the fittest or the strongest, its the survival of the most adaptable. If only the strongest and fittest survived we would have only Lions or Tigers ruling us. Only when we can learn to adapt to the situation survival is guaranteed in a volcanic eruption its not the strongest or the fittest that survived its only the ones who knew to swim away.

Sarko is a cunning politician he took a gamble and it payed off, they did not even have enough bombs to drop and they borrowed from US.

Param

There is a difference between a terrorist and a freedom fighter. As long as you fight only the armed forces(and policy makers), you can be considered a freedom fighter. On the other hand, a terrorist wantonly targets the civilians to create panic and terror.

A freedom fighter may transform into a terrorist.

Should Tibetans fight for freedom? Yes.
Should India support them? Maybe or maybe not.
Should Tibetans become Terrorists? No.

Just because someone is a freedom fighter, does not mean his cause is right. Similarly, just because someone is a terrorist does not mean his cause is wrong.
I think you did not get what I was referring to. I have nothing against Tibetans. I have had a Tibetan friend too.

Anyway a terrorist is a terrorist regardless of whether he kills combatants or non combatants. There are many insurgencies in our country that started off with only security personnel being targeted. Later it became more brutal and directly affected civilians.

Whether a person is a terrorist or a Freedom fighter is a matter of perspective. For the affected country that stands to lose territorial integrity that person is a Terrorist.
Does not matter who he kills.

johnee

Whether a person is a terrorist or a Freedom fighter is a matter of perspective. For the affected country that stands to lose territorial integrity that person is a Terrorist.
Does not matter who he kills.
I agree largely. Perspective matters. And affected country is expected to defend itself vigorously and robustly. Similarly, and a freedom fighter is expected to fight courageously and cleverly. So, perception changes with perspective.

To have a surer ground, we need to look at Dharma.

Param

I agree largely. Perspective matters. And affected country is expected to defend itself vigorously and robustly. Similarly, and a freedom fighter is expected to fight courageously and cleverly. So, perception changes with perspective.

To have a surer ground, we need to look at Dharma.
But judging by perspective also means Hypocrisy. And that is what I am against. How can we support an insurgency by Tibetans when we condemn many others in the neighborhood?
If you feel sympathetic for Tibetans suffering under occupation then I can have the same sympathy for others too.

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
First off there is no one who is a war monger in South Block or PMO, so i dont see any aggressive stance taken, they are most likely to jail the Tibetain activists.

johnee

But judging by perspective also means Hypocrisy. And that is what I am against. How can we support an insurgency by Tibetans when we condemn many others in the neighborhood?
If you feel sympathetic Tibetans suffering under occupation then I can have the same sympathy for others too.
No hypocrisy at all. It is natural for perception to change with perspective. You cant expect different people to hold same views and live by same rules. Different people have differing needs and varied requirements. Sometimes, there are conflicts. And sometimes, both are justified in fighting for their cause.

For a neutral and standard perspective, we need to refer to Dharma. Even from dharmic point of view, two people may come to conflict and both would be justified in fighting for their cause.

However, coming to this particular issue: China is the aggressor. It has annexed an independent country. Subjected its people to slavery. Strived to eradicate its culture. Offended the religious beliefs of natives. Outlawed those who are looked up to by the natives. It continues to do it even to this day. Further, China claims parts of India with an aggressive intent. It supports and arms countries like Pakistan which directly hurt India.

In short, China is India's enemy and China has occupied Tibet. Therefore, Tibetans are justified in fighting for their freedom and India is justified in supporting those who are against China. This is no hypocrisy. It is very similar to how Indians were justified in fighting against British.

Param

No hypocrisy at all. It is natural for perception to change with perspective. You cant expect different people to hold same views and live by same rules. Different people have differing needs and varied requirements. Sometimes, there are conflicts. And sometimes, both are justified in fighting for their cause.

For a neutral and standard perspective, we need to refer to Dharma. Even from dharmic point of view, two people may come to conflict and both would be justified in fighting for their cause.

However, coming to this particular issue: China is the aggressor. It has annexed an independent country. Subjected its people to slavery. Strived to eradicate its culture. Offended the religious beliefs of natives. Outlawed those who are looked up to by the natives. It continues to do it even to this day. Further, China claims parts of India with an aggressive intent. It supports and arms countries like Pakistan which directly hurt India.

In short, China is India's enemy and China has occupied Tibet. Therefore, Tibetans are justified in fighting for their freedom and India is justified in supporting those who are against China. This is no hypocrisy. It is very similar to how Indians were justified in fighting against British.
Countries do not think from the dharmic point of view when they sponsor insurgencies. It is either pure strategic interests or an ethnic bond or both.

What you Mentioned in the last two paragraphs is exactly what our neighbors think about us. Once again I have no problem with India supporting any movement in X,Y,Z countries. The only problem is Hypocrisy in dealing with other issues all the time antogonising their own Population. I am Tamil and I hope you get me.

I do not want GOI to support any insurgency against our southern neighbor but just show some more compassion towards the minority there.Atleast because they share an ethnic bond with 72 million Indians. India can ensure they get political rights but instead we are supporting the oppressors.

Coming back to topic India is not going to support any insurgency in Tibet. India is not in a position to do anything like that.

johnee

Countries do not think from the dharmic point of view when they sponsor insurgencies. It is either pure strategic interests or an ethnic bond or both.
My point is: follow strategic interests as long as they are dharmic. However, Dharma is not to be confused with pusillanimity.

What you Mentioned in the last two paragraphs is exactly what our neighbors think about us. Once again I have no problem with India supporting any movement in X,Y,Z countries. The only problem is Hypocrisy in dealing with other issues all the time antogonising their own Population. I am Tamil and I hope you get me.
Which neighbours? They have no business thinking anything negative about us. If it were another country in our position, they would have long ceased to exist as independent.

I do not want GOI to support any insurgency against our southern neighbor but just show some more compassion towards the minority there.Atleast because they share an ethnic bond with 72 million Indians. India can ensure they get political rights but instead we are supporting the oppressors.
I support an annexation of Sri Lanka in the long term. In the short term, I think India needs to throw its weight around, buy the elites, install puppets, have massive propaganda, extend support to favourable population.

However, I support LTTE being exterminated. It was anti-India and was supported by western missionary entities. I also support the vigorous action of Sri Lankan Army. They did well. Yes, they were brutal, but they were fighting a brutal enemy who did not hesitate to use children as shields. So, the army and the president did well to defeat LTTE. India did well to support them.

Now, its time to build the nation. I would want India to extend support to SL tamilians interests and look out for them, so that they are not given a raw deal. However, I would not want TN politicos to use this issue to flame regional conflicts within India. For example: talk about north-south divisions within India.

BTW, I am from AP.

Coming back to topic India is not going to support any insurgency in Tibet. India is not in a position to do anything like that.
India is in a position to do a lot of mischief and China knows that.

Param

Yes I agree their extermination was good but now we have left those minority civilans to the dogs. The winners now have a winners take it all mentality. They have even gone back on their war time promises of Devolution and political rights. And GOI is not doing anything but justifying and supporting the majoritarian policies of the SL Govt.

The politicos of TN are not completely unreasonable they are only pressing for GOI to make sure that our war torn ethic brethren do get further discrimintaed.

yes I agree some of them are drawing political mileage.GOI should not give room for such guys and make sure the issues are addressed. But instead GOI is taking a pro Singhala stand.

Topic_ India does not give much publicity to Chinese troops threatening shepherds in Ladhak, marking rocks with Chinese letters or the usual intrusions.
This itself shows that we are not in a position for confrontation. Any insurgency now can result in a direct conflict with China.

We did not sponsor insurgency even in the 70s when the difference in military strength was not too different and China was not an economic powerhouse.There is no chance now.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles