Thugs of Hindoostan...

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
The Novel follows the story of Ameer Ali, who has turned approver to the british. He is narrating his life exploits to the author of the book.

I will not dwell much on the story itself because it is similar to what a hardened rowdy sheeter/psycopath would say if you ask him about his life. The character has no remorse about the number of people he has killed during his career, he repeatedly says it’s the path chosen by allah for him. The author himself seems to be a british bureaucrat who has in-depth knowledge of towns and cities at that period of time.

My interest in the book was because i was hoping that my family’s zamindari would be mentioned in the book. only place from our zamindari mentioned is Musalipatnam which is called machlipatnam now, which is my birth place. ameer ali comes close of musalipatnam following krishna river, but turns west towards bidar on karnataka border in one of his expeditions. One of my great great grandfathers living during first half of 1800’s used to ride a horse with a pickaxe in hand and hunt these thugs, in our zamindari there by providing protection to travellers. our zamindari used to come under nizam’s rule.

So ameer ali and his family is waylaid by a thug at a young age. the thug leader ismail ensures that the rest of the group does not kill the boy and adopts the kid as he does not have children. ismail is a legit merchant in his village during non-thug season, thug-season starts during dussera as per the book. nobody in the village suspects the thug life of the characters. ismail overhears his father and his gang discussing their profession, and gets interested. ali’s claim to fame is that he kills a tiger with a sword, which ensures he is easily accepted into thug gang. from there on the novel is about his exploits as a thug which covers almost 80% of the novel.

Thugs:

Thugs as per the book are a secretive group of people whose profession is to kill and rob travellers. They worship godess bhavani irrespective of their religion. Muslim gangmembers follow islam as a primary religion but also pray bhavani as a thug. These thug gangs can have people belonging to any strata of society, even some thugs are depicted as brahmins in the book.

They have a pre-determined hierarchy such a leader, scouts, stringers, grave diggers etc. preferred choice of weapon is a handkerchief to strangle the victim. The gangs go out as expeditions at a pre-determined time of a year. The strength of the gang can be anywhere between 10-150 people per gang. These people are very systematic with their pre-determined activities to entrap a victim and dispose of the bodies.

Thugs are shown giving a lot of importance to omens like animals, moon etc. Thugs won’t start an expedition is omens are not favourable. i have no reason to doubt this as i know about hunter’s omens, they are quite similar.

Killing is not described as a brutal act, but rather as a task even with women. bodies are disposed off in ravines and graves with their stomach cut open to avoid bloating.

Social structures mentioned in the novel:

Other than the usual Nawabs and kings the novel gives an idea about the social life of villages. Villages in those days is a microcosm of economy in those day, probably even self-sufficient to an extent. No christians are mentioned in the novel, but muslims and hindus are shown as living together well within the village. no where in the novel, muslims are depicted as having a soft spot for middle east etc.. at one instance ismail the father says that allah is angry with indian muslims for having come and settled here in india, i feel this is mentioned in the book because of prevailing opinions at that time.

discord between muslims and hindus are not depicted in the book but hindus are referred as kafirs by the main character even though his friends and gang members are hindus. the word slave is used often in the book, usually when a character is representing himself to a authority figure. i think the word slave is misinterpreted with the urdu word “Mulazim” or “Nazim” .

women as respected and are usually behind a purdah. There are only two or three instances of excessive violence against women in the entire novel.

Economy at that time:

Sahukars, traders, Traveller Inns, markets, types of goods being traded are described well in the book. amaravati in maharashtra and hyderabad are shown as rich cities at the time. crores are mentioned as denominations but lakhs are mentioned multiple times in the book, safe to assume that the revenues of kings and nawabs would run into crores at that time. ameer ali himself loots a total of anywhere between 10-15 lakh rupees during the course of the novel, which is quite a sum even by today’s standards.

one new thing i learnt is the word “hundee”, which is a form of demand draft. pay the money in one town or village , a certificate is given with a seal/signature. the certificate can be converted back to money at the different town minus an interest within a fixed time period.

Tax on trading and agriculture seems to be the revenue source for zamindars and rajahs.

Ecology of india at that time:

The travels undertaken by the characters in the book are between scindia kingdom, maratha kingdoms and south till nizam’s deccan. ecology is depicted as heavily forested just outside of villages and towns, i have no doubt that was the case just as how we see leopards and lions coming to villages and towns in uttarakhand and gujarat. one thing i found interesting is that characters in the book depend on water streams flowing on jungles to drink water, nowhere in the book any leather pouches to carry water are mentioned. kids of 70’s and 80’s would remember people who carried water in big leather bags used to be there is delhi, now they are gone.they would collect small money from cups of water from the bags .this is not mentioned in the book.

Places mentioned in the book:

as i mentioned the travels are between western part of india and deccan in south. amaravati,hyderabad ,secunderabad are depicted as rich cities. umerkhed, poona, nagpur , musalipatnam , raipur, bombay, malwa and many more places.

@dhananjay1 @LordOfTheUnderworlds @sthf @OneGrimPilgrim @Ancient Indian

LordOfTheUnderworlds

Country flag
These may or may not have been related to the criminal tribes.
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/indian-media-watch.32479/page-87#post-1284996
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/indian-media-watch.32479/page-87#post-1285006
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/indian-media-watch.32479/page-87#post-1285109

The word Thug is used in Indian languages for professional conmen/thieves. Some British writer might have made it into a cult phenomenon. Or the word might have come from the real phenomenon of network of criminal gangs.

A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE WORD ‘THUG’
http://www.newsweek.com/brief-history-word-thug-326595

Kim Wagner, a senior lecturer at Queen Mary University of London, says that descriptions of the Thugs as a murderous religious cult are simply “how the British misinterpreted a local phenomenon,” and that the so-called sect was more of an informal network of highway bandits.

“There was never any clear definition of what a thug was, which is why it was so attractive to the British,” Wagner says. “It allowed them to criminalize any kind of indigenous activity as being something that was inherently irrational and politically illegitimate, not different from the way it’s used today. You’re effectively describing them as having no legitimate grievances and just being hoodlums.”
0429peshwar.jpg

This image is used in many articles about thugs. Interestingly the caption in the above article mentions the photograph was taken in what is today Pakistan. From clothes they don't look like people from what is now Pakistan.

Last edited:

dhananjay1

The main point of the book was to exaggerate the "organization" of Thugs, link them to "Hindoo" superstition and then justify the British rule by claiming to eradicate thugee. It had the intended effect. Here are excerpts of two contemporary reviews of the book by Brits. They are from a paper titled "Ambiguity and Historicism - Interpreting Confessions of a Thug"

“the influence which the energy of our government in India has had in extirpating crimes which appeared to be indigenous in the soil. . . . [W]herever the power of England extends, we trust that some sufficient marks are discernable of the progress of Christian civilization”

“To the vigilance of the British Government in India, has been due the first complete detection of Thuggee, in its real character of an organized and systematic fraternity; and, if under the same sway, this monstrous hybrid of superstition and cruelty is destined to be finally eradicated, a title will thus be earned to the gratitude of the natives of India, which will alone make the benefits of our later administration more than atone for the injustices and rapacity which marked our early acquisitions of Indian territory”

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Irrespective of what the author of the books says, are we saying that thugs did not exist?

In modern India history itself we have two examples , one being Chambal valley dacoits who coincidentally worship various forms of Kali maa.

And the other from my own experience of dacoity when I was in Dhanbad Jharkhand. Luckily missed the attack by an hour during Durga Pooja. We left office at 1 am they attacked 2 am. About 20 armed men stormed a Govt colony, and there was a full on gun fight between dacoits and the guards.

It isn't far fetched that thieves took advantage of fractured kingdoms at that time and their jurisdictional limitations.

LordOfTheUnderworlds

Country flag
Irrespective of what the author of the books says, are we saying that thugs did not exist?

In modern India history itself we have two examples , one being Chambal valley dacoits who coincidentally worship various forms of Kali maa.

And the other from my own experience of dacoity when I was in Dhanbad Jharkhand. Luckily missed the attack by an hour during Durga Pooja. We left office at 1 am they attacked 2 am. About 20 armed men stormed a Govt colony, and there was a full on gun fight between dacoits and the guards.

It isn't far fetched that thieves took advantage of fractured kingdoms at that time and their jurisdictional limitations.
Yes that was period of political transition and hence lot of lawlessness in general.

Dacoit gangs and whole families working as criminals are very much part of Indian society. Even now there are such news. Some people in the criminal tribes are indeed involved in such incidents and because of that police harass whole communities.

Many of us might have met a family including a woman and children claiming they are a honorable family who first time came to city and were robbed and need urgent money for food and tickets. Few of us might have heard of an incidence with a friend of a friend of a friend who met a big friendly group of people in train, shared food with them and woke up after two days, without clothes in a jungle, robbed of everything.

Few years back there was a news of an isolated village attacked by dacoits, men beaten up and women from young to old raped to terrorize the village.

Sometimes such gangs do robbery and piss/shit in the house. that is their way of leaving their mark.

Few years back a 'Chaddi Baniyan gang' was in news for robberies on outskirts of Mumbai. They might be still operating. First they would work as labourers and select site of robbery and come wearing only undergarments with oil applied all over body. Police would find nearly impossible to catch them. They are very good runners and even if caught you cant hold them because of slippery oil applied over body. One such gang of tribals police traced to be living on borders of Maharashtra, Gujarat and MP. Even if police could sort out under whose jurisdiction the area comes they would be impossible to catch as they lived in temporary settlements, run away quickly and has a peculier skill that while running they will catch a sharp stone between first two twos and throw it backwards hitting the chasing person very hard.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaddi_Baniyan_Gang
http://indianexpress.com/article/in...di-baniyan-gang-held-three-policemen-injured/

Last edited:

vinuzap

this will be known to people on vast scale with aamir khan and amitabh bachchan acting on a movie it with same title

still the biggest thug of modern time happens to be charles shobraj

Ancient Indian

p = np :)

I read the book first few paragraphs. This line made it hard to get into the setting.
The Hindoos claim for it a divine origin in their goddess Bhowanee;

I am actually planning to ask you some brief summery or imp. titbits. Thanks for creating thread. I find it strange that thugs chose Durga pooja every time they decide to loot some one.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I read the book first few paragraphs. This line made it hard to get into the setting.
The Hindoos claim for it a divine origin in their goddess Bhowanee;

I am actually planning to ask you some brief summery or imp. titbits. Thanks for creating thread. I find it strange that thugs chose Durga pooja every time they decide to loot some one.
Invoking maa kali shouldn't be strange, when "Jai Mahakali, ayo ghorkhali" is war cry of our own Gorkha regiments.

Ancient Indian

Invoking maa kali shouldn't be strange, when "Jai Mahakali, ayo ghorkhali" is war cry of our own Gorkha regiments.
I am not talking about war cries.

The thugs always chose Dussera time to loot. Strange. I read it in many books.

Ancient Indian

Maybe because they will be bombed during Diwali , safety first......

Ha ha ......
If that is the case, vijay dasami is worst day to do any thing like that. At my home, we clean all our weapons and tools that day.

On serious note,
Some communities keep all of their wealth at one place and do puja. May be that's the reason why thugs attack homes on that day. Easier to loot all the wealth.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
rock127 Medieval Cruelty in Modern Time: ISIS Thugs Behead American Journalist West Asia & Africa 29

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles