Three Agni Missiles To Be Tested Soon Thursday, April 12, 2012

john70

Country flag
Three Agni Missiles To Be Tested Soon Thursday, April 12, 2012 By : Defence News Admin

Preparations are on in full swing at the Wheelers Island off the Odisha coast for a series of tests of the three variants of the Agni Missiles. Preparations are on in full swing at the Wheelers Island off the Odisha coast for a series of tests of the three variants of the Agni Missiles. This will include testing India's longest range ballistic missile Agni-5 which is termed as an ICBM Missile.

Prior to the first development trial of the Agni-5 missile, the DRDO has planned to conduct tests of the 700-km range Agni-1 and the 2000-km range Agni-2 missile.

India is attempting to test it's first Inter Continental ballistic Missile and scientists are leaving no stone unturned for a 100% successful mission. The series of tests will all be conducted between April 18 and April 25.

The DRDO is excited for the threestage A-5 missile as its successful launch would propel India to join the elite league of nations like the US, the UK, China, France and Russia, which have inter-continental ballistic missiles (ICBM).

The 17-metre tall missile with a diametre of two metres, weighs around 50 tonnes.

It can carry a nuclear warhead weighing nearly 1,000 kg and also carries multiple independently targetable re-entry vehicles (MITRV) capable of delivering multiple warheads at different targets at long distances.

Agni-5 is a cannister launched solid-fuelled ballistic missile and would help bolster India's nuclear deterrence capabilities against China which has an arsenal armed with missiles like the 11,200-km range Dong Feng-31A which is capable of hitting any Indian city.

Programme Director of Agni missiles and Chief Controller (Missiles and Strategic Systems) Avinash Chander said the exact dates of the tests have not been finalised yet. "The tests would be conducted one after another once the integration process is complete and range is ready," he added.

john70

Country flag

It can carry a nuclear warhead weighing nearly 1,000 kg and also carries multiple independently targetable re-entry vehicles (MITRV) capable of delivering multiple warheads at different targets at long distances.

Agni-5 is a cannister launched solid-fuelled ballistic missile and would help bolster India's nuclear deterrence capabilities against China which has an arsenal armed with missiles like the 11,200-km range Dong Feng-31A which is capable of hitting any Indian city.
MIRV confirmed on agni V ? 3 tests together ? Confidence showing!!!

Last edited:

john70

Country flag
Some confirmation of dates.......?

The series of tests will all be conducted between April 18 and April 25.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I wouldn't say that MIRV on first test is confirmed. Right now everything is speculation. Hope they release performance data after actual test.

Vishwarupa

Country flag

Is it DRDO ploy to test 3 missiles back to back & confuse our enemies.

Country flag
I wouldn't say that MIRV on first test is confirmed. Right now everything is speculation. Hope they release performance data after actual test.
The conformation was made unofficially when India lauched a record breaking 10
satellites in one shot. But a MIRV agni is a game changer and after this i will look
forward to a AGNI SLBM MIRV in the future.

ajay_ijn

Country flag
how about merging Agni-V test thread with this one. we can name it as the Agni Event. Since all three are happening at same week, we can discuss at same place, it will be easier.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
The conformation was made unofficially when India lauched a record breaking 10
satellites in one shot. But a MIRV agni is a game changer and after this i will look
forward to a AGNI SLBM MIRV in the future.
I actually suspect a long range SLBM might be tested simultaneously in a different location while the world's eyes are trained on chandipur!

john70

Country flag
Pressure of showing equal or not inferior is fate of every growing country, but now confidence is showing. Lets yet see the results, v dont want to feel what north korea has felt today.

LalTopi

I thought MIRV was way way down the line. Does the article say it will carry MIRV or it can carry MIRV ?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
NK missile which just failed was liquid-fuelled.

pmaitra

Yes. I was comparing NK liquid-fuelled with Indian solid-fuelled. Sorry I did not make that clear.
We have had our liquid fueled Prithvis for quite a while, and they have rarely fallen apart. I guess it was being tested, but if it was built with Chinese assistance, then either the Chinese are not giving them good enough technology (like Chinese locomotives sold to Pakistan that break down often), or they simply do not have that technology.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles