Thinking Aloud : Myth of Buddhist non-violence — Razi Azmi

Discussion in 'Subcontinent & Central Asia' started by gokussj9, May 8, 2013.

1. gokussj9

gokussj9 Senior Member Senior Member

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Any Buddhist member to verify this Paki's claims?

@Tshering22, @HeinzGud

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  3. HeinzGud

HeinzGud Senior Member Senior Member

Buddhism is non-violent indeed and the monks should follow Buddha's path of non violence. But that does not mean Buddhists have to tolerate the crouching of Islam on it's territory.

aragorn, JBH22, TrueSpirit and 5 others like this.
  4. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

Muslims blow shit up around the world- Individuals are violent Islam ij peaceful.

Buddhist involved in isolated incidents of violence- Buddhism ij evil.

Rock on Pakis!

5. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

I don't know much about Buddhism but how can Gautam Buddha kill people for insulting Buddhist Scirptures in his past life when he himself founded Buddhism?

TrueSpirit, parijataka and pmaitra like this.
  6. gokussj9

gokussj9 Senior Member Senior Member

What about the details he discusses in the article?
    Does Buddhism also has the concept of Infidels? AFAIK, the whole
    Dharmic fold does not have the concept of believers and non-believers thereby preventing
    them from halaaling others.

7. rock127

rock127 Maulana Rockullah Senior Member

Even a innocent looking non-violent cow can kill you with it's horns if you try to hurt her.

Anyway since the source of the article is Paki don't give much importance to it.

8. HeinzGud

Nirvana sutra AFAIK is from Mahayana canon. Mahayana canon elevate Buddha to a supernatural god status. So there are lot of misguiding stories of Buddha in Mahayana canon.

However if you want to learn true words and deeds of Buddha read the sutta pitakaya. Sutta Pitaka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

9. HeinzGud

Buddhism does not encourage war of killing of living beings at any cost. There fore the writers comments on Buddhism in heavily biased to picture Buddhism is similar or worse than Islam.

However I cannot comment on about the Mahayana texts because I'm a Pali canon follower.

No it does not.

10. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

The Pali Cannon is the TRUE Buddha teaching right.

11. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

What about the Heart Sutra ?

12. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

I think Mahayana

13. Virendra

Virendra Moderator Moderator

Hmm. Probably some people don't want Indian sub continent's muslims to move on from the Rohingya experience.
    They want to needle the wounds or create them if they're not there.

HeinzGud likes this.
  14. MAYURA

MAYURA New Member

This is historical sense from a sober man like you but genuine buddhists do not consider buddha to be founder but rather a chain in line of several buddhas.

parijataka and HeinzGud like this.
  15. MAYURA

MAYURA New Member

Because it is religion of monks.

the buddhist kings of burma have been as bad as islamic invaders for people of assam.

the atrocities commited by buddhists in Assam are very horrible.

the buddhists of burma, thailand always killed civilians in any conflict.

In Assam, 30 percent of people were killed by burman buddhists which translates to one million.

( please note that it had religious dimension too as buddhists specifically attacked Brahmins and made them eat beef.)

16. Das ka das

Das ka das Tihar Jail Banned

Sources please? 1 million dead by Buddhists in Asom?

17. MAYURA

MAYURA New Member

It is after long time that I am replying to your post.

There are countless histories of Asom by assamese historians and please refer to two burmese invasions of asom.

it is not available online but wiki tells us that it was very devastating for asom.

as someone who is interested in history ( thakur sahib) , i tried to guess population of asom in 1826 at time of burmese invasion.

I found that it must be 3 million at the least and since most of historians are agreed that asom lost one third of population in that raid by buddhists, one million figure is not very inaccurate.

ofcourse, my numbers are not precise but they are historical and very much nearer to the closest one can arrive at.

BTW, you must be knowing that asom defied the mighty mughals many times but could not resist the british even faintly which is only because of those two burmese invasions.

If my bhaiyya pushyamitra has not changed much, I hope you endorse that mongoloid race is more prone to genocides in comparison to Indians with same cultural milieu.

this is from wiki

..in attacking the house of a rich man, would tie him with ropes and then set fire to his body. Some they flayed alive, others they burnt in oil and others again they drove in crowds to village Naamghars or prayer-houses, which they then set on fire... It was dangerous for a beautiful woman to meet a Burmese even on the public road. Brahmans were made to carry loads of beef, pork and wine. The Gosains were robbed of all their possessions. Fathers of damsels whom the Burmese took as wives rose speedily to affluence and power.

Do you not find similarity with islamic marauders?

18. HeinzGud

Scholars consider it to be to the most authentic one and Theravada Buddhists consider it to be the true form of Buddhism.

19. HeinzGud

Muslims (in SL specially) think that Buddhist countries are easy prays because we are more tolerant.

Tshering22 likes this.
  20. HeinzGud

What do you mean by th

Well what you talks about human mindset here. We as human beings are violent when it comes to politics and our survival. It got nothing to do with Buddhism. It's all about politics.

parijataka and TrueSpirit like this.
  21. MAYURA

MAYURA New Member

I meant that buddhism is incomplete religion ( sorry if i hurt you but it is time to bell the cat as i really feel frustrated when people criticise hinduism with vituperative language but hide buddhism faults and exaggerate its importance in indian history and also allege that hinduism destroyed buddhism all of which are false things )

Buddhism was product of a frustrated prince who founded a doctrine all of which were based on leaving the homes and nothing more.

Buddhism is religion of peace and non violence ( i have seen tibetans enjoying meat more than the hindus ) not because it is superior in this context but simply because it was meant for a parasitic class that thrived in monastries built by labour of toiling masses, employing slaves for upkeep and hence could afford to do so.

when you are free of social responsibilities, you can beat any amount of bush on ethics and may look good.

buddhism has no dharmasastra or arthasastra much less kamasutra.

buddhism is world denying religion and hence its non violence approach is nothing special.

Hinduism has policy for war as well as it promotes non violence so it is much more complete than buddhism.

It might have been understandable if the ordinary people were killed or temples looted for wealth but why did the burmese buddhists do this

this proves that it was specific work of baudh bhikshus who directed their venom against brahmins.