The World's Most Influential Cities 2014

HMS Astute

In the past century, the greatest global cities were generally the largest and centers of the world's great empires: London, Paris, New York and Tokyo. Today size is not so important: Of the world's 10 most populous cities, only Tokyo, New York and Beijing are in the top 10 of our ranking of the world's most important cities. Instead, what matters today is influence. Inertia and smart use of it is a key theme that emerged in our evaluation of the top global cities. No city better exemplifies this than London, which after more than a century of imperial decline still ranks No. 1 in our survey.

Introduction - In Photos: The World's Most Influential Cities 2014 - Forbes

The World's Most Influential Cities 2014

• 1.London
  • 2.New York
  • 3.Paris
  • 4.Singapore
  • 5.Tokyo
  • 6.Hong Kong
  • 7.Dubai
  • 8.Beijing
  • 8.Sydney
  • 10.Los Angeles
  • 10.San Francisco
  • 10.Toronto

Last edited:

Meriv90

I prefer the Italian and German decentralized model, a lot easier to defend and manage. It won't be influential and effervescent in life but it is a lot more resilient to various types of crisis.

HMS Astute

I prefer the Italian and German decentralized model, a lot easier to defend and manage. It won't be influential and effervescent in life but it is a lot more resilient to various types of crisis.
Germany is not doing very bad although it's GDP has shrank a little bit in August. France sees no growth too, but significantly better than Italy which is in deep crisis.

So, i am not convinced by Italian decentralized model.

The Italian train wreck

http://wwThe Italian Runaway Train | Credit Writedowns

An interesting (and yes, grim) outlook on the Italian economy. The author is skeptical on Italy turning a corner because:

- Italian growth has been weak for 20 years now, indicating long-term economic malaise.

This includes a trend of falling growth:

- Italy is ageing very fast, the workforce is shrinking, and skilled Italians are leaving (to be replaced with unskilled immigrants, I might add). The UK and others are recording loads of new Italian immigrants.

- Italian debt is still rising in an environment of no growth and no inflation.

- Domestic consumption is savaged by ageing and other factors.

The author has a broad discussion on policy options available to Dragi, Renzi and, of course, Germany in mitigating some of these weaknesses.

Last edited:

HMS Astute

• Three of the top 10 – and 31 of the top 200 – universities in the world are in the UK

• The UK's research base is second only to the USA for number of citations, and is the most productive in the G8

• In 2013, 71 out of 500 fastest growing technology companies in Europe, the Middle East and Africa were situated in the UK

• Out of 30 companies founded and headquartered in Europe with valuations greater than $1billion (as of April 2014), 11 are situated in the UK

• Over a third of revenues from app development generated by all 28 European member states come from the UK.

- See more at: New Policy Exchange Report on a National Tech Cluster Policy

:cheers:
Good! Don't forget the entertainment and space industries too. I can understand why a lot of people in the UK are demanding to hold the EU referendum.

HMS Astute

More Chinese, French, American, and other international giant companies relocated their global Headquarters in London this year.

More Italian companies are warmly welcome too, and congrats to Fiat Chrysler for making a wise decision. :)

Top twenty countries with number of Forbes Global 2000 companies in 2014

Last edited:

Meriv90

it wasn't a post italy vs uk,
it was about the centralized vs decentralized economies. In poor words Mittlestand vs Ile de France.
So I won't answer with quality of life, health, life expectancy, crime rate, agree with your economic grow, point out uk total debt, point out as the economist said that if you get out in 2017 from EU most of your financial sector will move to Ireland, the fact that you have already used QE meanwhile EU hasn't with its consequences if we start when you have already depleted the financial tool.

Because I have already tried, but it went without success. Both of us are happy with each one country no?

And please at the IN/OUT referendum vote OUT so you will bear with the fruits of your Albion arrogance and stop messing with the rest of EU.

HMS Astute

it wasn't a post italy vs uk,
it was about the centralized vs decentralized economies. In poor words Mittlestand vs Ile de France.
Decentralization in Italy and the troubles of federalization.

http://www.sv.uio.no/isv/forskning/...-seminarer/tirsdagsseminaret/2012/baldini.pdf

So I won't answer with quality of life, health, life expectancy, crime rate, agree with your economic grow, .
I wouldn't brag about quality of life, healthcare care expenditure, crime rate and corruption index etc if i was you.

point out uk total debt,
Italian government is just lost like crying in a sinking a boat. As it has been pointed out in the other thread, Italy's debt has been rising so rapidly due to reckless spending without taking a necessary reform and having an effective plan with credibility. Italian government's debt is skyrocketing and becoming uncontrollable, let alone the credit rating which will soon be downgraded to no more than junk status. Even Colombia is above Italy in terms of economic stability and credibility.

point out as the economist said that if you get out in 2017 from EU most of your financial sector will move to Ireland,
You mad fam? Do you even know what you are on about? Remember when we were told by the clueless bureaucrats and eurozonephiles that the UK would be left behind the fast moving and successful eurozone countries if we didn't join the common currency union and work within their rules? God, just want to see the faces of those lunatics again. We are smart enough for not joining this hopeless evilzone controlled by the mighty Germoney with it's central bank based in Frankfcuk. Look nowadays, nearly half of Europe's most important and biggest financial institutions, universities, banks, companies, global headquarters are now based in the UK and London alone trades more euros than the entire eurozone countries combined together which imo is quite ironic lol. Anyway, average person in the street does not give a shit about the financial sector or it's dominance, but most people are concerned about the illegal immigration, mass amount of low skilled emigrants from the continent flocking to the crowded island everyday, their community and job prospects etc. We can't deport the illegal aliens just simply because we are in the EU, and this is one of the biggest problems most people are worried about.

the fact that you have already used QE meanwhile EU hasn't with its consequences if we start when you have already depleted the financial tool.

Because I have already tried, but it went without success. Both of us are happy with each one country no?

And please at the IN/OUT referendum vote OUT so you will bear with the fruits of your Albion arrogance and stop messing with the rest of EU.
That's what we are hoping for. We are not against the wet dream of the europhiles and bureaucrats in brussels, but just smart enough to realise where the EU is heading and how it works. We only expect to renegotiate with the EU to point out and repair it's the broken rules, the unfair systems, and catastrophic failures in order to have a better understanding and relationship. Nobody knows who the president of $17 trillion economy and half a billion population is unless of course you're someone really into the european politics or live in belgium.

Italy PM Matteo Renzi says EU needs to keep UK

Italy's Prime Minister Matteo Renzi has urged the EU to keep the UK in, warning that a British withdrawal would mean a poorer Europe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28124328

Last edited:

HMS Astute

Most liveable city: Helsinki - Monocle Film / Affairs

When you need a break from influencessness, welcome to enjoy living here ;)
Yes the top 10 ranking of most liveable cities are normally dominated by the cities in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Norway, and Sweden etc. But, these cities are boring lol. I'd rather live in LA with high crime rate than Ottawa or Stockholm with high liveable and peaceful rates.

HMS Astute

This thread is about world's most influential cities, and i personally put Hong Kong, Shanghai and Beijing in tier 1.

But, in terms of most liveable cities index in 2014;

TOP 10

Melbourne

Vienna (Austria)

Vancouver (Canada)

Toronto (Canada)

Adelaide

Calgary (Canada)

Sydney

Helsinki (Finland)

Perth

Auckland (New Zealand)

BOTTOM 10

Abidjan (Cote d'Ivorie)

Tripoli (Libya)

Douala (Cameroon)

Harare (Zimbabwe)

Algiers (Algeria)

Karachi (Pakistan)

Lagos (Nigeria)

Port Moresby (Papua New Guinea)

Dhaka (Bangladesh)

Damascus (Syria)

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel...city-again-20140819-105nyc.html#ixzz3Ansp3imw

Global cities like London, New York, Tokyo, Paris, Hong Kong etc always fail to take the crown when it comes to liveable cities ranking due to their very high living cost, crime rate, pollution and other reasons.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles