The USA is a Universal Nation

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
Gujuratis are divided in 2 groups most have been in UK for generations
and the smaller group of newly arrived immigrants. Is this study lumping both
together?
Even if it is , It still proves that that they tend do well , where ever they find a suitable environment

Country flag
This thread remind me of a math Genius who had no formal education. Intelligence is an individual
trait not an inherited trait from society.

Ramanujan, Srinivasa (1887-1920) -- from Eric Weisstein's World of Scientific Biography

Indian mathematician who was self-taught and had an uncanny mathematical manipulative ability. Ramanujan was unable to pass his school examinations in India, and could only obtain a clerk's position in the city of Madras. However, he continued to pursue his own mathematics, and sent letters to three mathematicians in England (which arrived in January of 1913) containing some of his results. While two of the three returned the letters unopened, G. H. Hardy recognized Ramanujan's intrinsic mathematical ability and arranged for him to come to Cambridge. Because of his lack of formal training, Ramanujan sometimes did not differentiate between formal proof and apparent truth based on intuitive or numerical evidence. Although his intuition and computational ability allowed him to determine and state highly original and unconventional results which continued to defy formal proof until recently (Berndt 1985-1997), Ramanujan did occasionally state incorrect results.

Ramanujan had an intimate familiarity with numbers, and excelled especially in number theory and modular function theory. His familiarity with numbers were demonstrated by the following incident. During an illness in England, Hardy visited Ramanujan in the hospital. When Hardy remarked that he had taken taxi number 1729, a singularly unexceptional number, Ramanujan immediately responded that this number was actually quite remarkable: it is the smallest integer that can be represented in two ways by the sum of two cubes: 1729=13+123=93+103.

Unfortunately, Ramanujan's health deteriorated rapidly in England, due perhaps to the unfamiliar climate, food, and to the isolation which Ramanujan felt as the sole Indian in a culture which was largely foreign to him. Ramanujan was sent home to recuperate in 1919, but tragically died the next year at the very young age of 32.

Ramanujan published some of his results in journals, and many are beautiful indeed. However, his working notebooks contained much additional unorganized material which remained uninvestigated until the sustained efforts of Berndt and his coworkers who systematically examined and proved Ramanujan's sometimes vague or ambiguous statements. For anyone with a little knowledge of number theory, Ramanujan's notebooks make absolutely fascinating reading. It is therefore a great pity that their publisher, Springer-Verlag, has chosen to price these slim volumes at the ridiculous price of about $100 apiece.

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
All this talk about IQ is nonsense. I think most people interested in this subject is in agreement that EQ is more important than IQ.

average american

Indians as a community are hard working and sacrificing . I have seen many Indians
working 80 hours a week in USA. I have driven thousands of miles across the Northeast
and Southwest and I always had Indians filling the tank(punjabi mostly-hate stereotypes)
i was thinking what would happen if these guys didn't pump the gas. In my Upstate NY town
I have seen many guys start out pumping gas and now own their own gas stations.
How many countries does this happen in??
This reply is a little weird I have not had any one put gas in my car in years, I am sure it been ten years since I have seen a gas station where they fill your tank in the USA,, they are all self serve. Also an american would not know a punjabi from a pakistani or any one else from that area of the world, or care.

Last edited:

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
I underlined it for you Sir. You should back read your earlier posts on who has showed more conceit... Maybe you've drunk too much of your Indian cool aid.
well tsk tsk

Now that your claims have soundly been defeated by facts ,

you bow down to such baseless personal remarks

b t w , 1st , 2nd or 3rd world country you're from

Country flag
This reply is a little weird I have not had any one put gas in my car in years, I am sure it been ten years since I have seen a gas station where they fill your tank in the USA,, they are all self serve.
There are still a few states where self serve station are illegal- New Jersey being
the closest to me and Oregon out west. I am too lazy look for full service stations
where available.

Last edited:

average american

There are still many states where self serve station are illegal- New Jersey being
the closest to me.
It could be true for New Jersey, but I have traveled most USA states in the past couple years, all the way from the east coat to the west coast a number of times and I have not even seen a filling station that had an attendent that filled your gas tank,,, something wrong here. I did a search they are two states New Jersey and Oregon.

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
well tsk tsk

Now that your claims have soundly been defeated by facts ,

you bow down to such baseless personal remarks

b t w , 1st , 2nd or 3rd world country you're from

This is not even funny anymore. When I mentioned 3rd World I did not mean the technical definition of it. I was merely using it to refer to "poor" countries, the poor conditions of Ireland ans Italy and the turn of the twentieth century. You're trying to nail me for nothing.

BTW, are you still in India?

Anyway, the major thesis is US is a magnet for immigrants. And one of the sub-thesis is that on the average immigrants to the US have higher IQ than their countrymen left in their country of origin... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
About IQ and the Wealth of Nations by Dr. Richard Lynn,

here is what , Astrid Oline Ervik of Royal Economic Society says about the book on behalf of Economic Journal,

"The arguments put forward in the book to justify such (international IQ) comparisons seem at best vague and unconvincing. At worst, passages in the book appear to be biased and unscientific," and concludes that, "the authors fail to present convincing evidence and appear to jump to conclusions." [9] The book was positively reviewed in the journals Journal of Social, Political, and Economic Studies and The Oriental Quarterly by Edward M. Miller, an economics professor who has published many controversial papers on Race and intelligence
Nevertheless , the book does present an interesting exposition into the matter.

Last edited:

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
This is not even funny anymore. When I mentioned 3rd World I did not mean the technical definition of it. I was merely using it to refer to "poor" countries, the poor conditions of Ireland ans Italy and the turn of the twentieth century. You're trying to nail me for nothing.

BTW, are you still in India? :rolleyes:
Let it be if it pleases u

, Yes Very Much in India .

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
This again brings us back to the question why do people excel in other countries and not
in their own?? The system must have a lot to do with it??
I am sure it does ,
The Social system , Economic System as well as the Political .

average american

About IQ and the Wealth of Nations by Dr. Richard Lynn,

here is what , Astrid Oline Ervik of Royal Economic Society says about the book on behalf of Economic Journal,

Nevertheless , the book does present an interest exposition into the matter.
Seems to be poltically incorrect and also which came first the chicken or egg debate.

Country flag
It could be true for New Jersey, but I have traveled most USA states in the past couple years, all the way from the east coat to the west coast a number of times and I have not even seen a filling station that had an attendent that filled your gas tank,,, something wrong here. I did a search they are two states New Jersey and Oregon.
when you pull of the highway most stations are self service in smaller towns there are still many
full service stations they cost a few cents more but they are there some places have both. I usually take the longer
scenic routes thru small towns. In states like Massachusets and Rhode island there are many full service station
and now it is a custom in some towns to tip the attendants.

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Let it be if it pleases u

, Yes Very Much in India .

I think it's well documented that immigrants to the US on the average have higher IQ than their countrymen left in their country of origin...:rolleyes:

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
Anyway, the major thesis is US is a magnet for immigrants. And one of the sub-thesis is that on the average immigrants to the US have higher IQ than their countrymen left in their country of origin... :rolleyes:
For the simple reason that those who do not immigrate are clubbed with the ones who have no Higher education ,
No electricity, some times No food

The US is only interested in those who have already been domestically groomed by India,
not necessarily those with Higher IQ .

Truth be told a lot of them are just plain below the poverty line.

The IQ of these deprived souls would naturally be reflected as lower ,

There are plenty of Indians whom US would most happily admit with no less IQ , but they chose to stay with their motherland.

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
There are plenty of Indians whom US would most happily admit with no less IQ , but they chose to stay with their motherland.

And this more privileged group would grab every opportunity to bash at the country that grants their less privileged countrymen an opportunity at improving their lives...?

Country flag
I am sure it does ,
The Social system , Economic System as well as the Political .
There is also a work ethic and economic combination. In many countries people are happy
doing the bare minimum . In countries like USA you will not be able to buy food or pay rent
without working if you don't have a work ethic you will have to develop one fast. In other
countries you can survive of family it does not work like that here.

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
And this more privileged group would grab every opportunity to bash at the country that grants their less privileged countrymen an opportunity at improving their lives...?
Hello . . .!!

This Country does not grant any opportunity to the less Privileged ones , have you gone through the H-1b visa guidelines ,

They admit only the creamy layer , for their and their benefit alone.

They are not doing any one a favour

Anyway , i have no grudge against anyone ,

Nor am i bashing any country here ,

Only their chest thumpers , who attempt to put my country down.

average american

Not sure if this a joke or not.

High IQ Test score may be required for Immigration to Canada! Only smart people need apply.

It was just announced new criteria for qualifying under Skilled Worker category may be significantly modified to include IQ scoring. According to the proposal, applicants must take an IQ Test and score at least 120 in order to be considered candidates for Canadian Permanent Residence. "Canada has made it a priority to attract the best and the brightest" according to a high ranking governnment official. "We are now taking this literally".

A 120 IQ well exceeds the average score in just about every country including Canada. The IQ Tests will be administered by a select group of Immigration Officers, some of whom have IQs under 80. After the news was announced, Mensa, the High IQ Society admitting members with high scores, has reported an influx of inquires from people world wide about how to join. Membership in Mensa, many believe, would mean a guaranteed ticket to Canada.

Some community groups are outraged by the proposals calling Canada the "snobbyist nation" in history. "Requiring IQ Scores that are off the charts sends a really elitist message to the rest of the world that Canada cares only about brains but not other human values such as compassion, hard work and even humor" says Conrad White, the leader of "The Average Joe Society", representing people with "other qualities".

However, the proposal is gaining support by certain sectors of society. Some are calling the measure a first step in creating a Brave New World for Canada where human computers will soon become a reality. One day, the supporters claim, Canada will have so many smart people, we will be able to think our way out of any problem rather than having to outsource solutions to much "smarter nations".

If passed, the IQ Screening will be implemented, next year April 1, which happens to fall on April Fools Day

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles