The unscientific and anecdotal world of Justice Katju

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Daredevil, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

The unscientific and anecdotal world of Justice Katju

Justice Katju is at it again. In a follow-up to his April 4 article in Indian Express, he writes on ‘Ten ways of being foolish.’ Justice Katju’s op-ed is replete with statements that he fails to substantiate and often are irresponsible and unfounded.

Please read Justice Katju’s piece, so that the following can be seen in context.

Justice Katju: “I got a call from the Delhi correspondent of The Wall Street Journal asking me on what basis I had mentioned the figure 90 per cent when I said that 90 per cent Indians are fools. I replied that it was not a mathematical figure, what I meant was that an overwhelming number of Indians were fools. Therefore the figure might be 85 per cent, on the other hand it could be 95 per cent.”

Comment: Justice Katju’s statement is completely unscientific. There is no way anyone can confirm the 85 percent, 95 percent or any other percent without a nationwide study on foolishness. No such study has been conducted. Therefore, the very premise of Justice Katju’s article is false.

Today's editorial follows a previous one in which the Press Council of India Chairman had said 90 percent of Indians of being fools. Agencies

Justice Katju: “One,Tamilians are some of the finest and most intelligent among Indians.”
    Comment: Same as above. No one, including Justice Katju, can say this unless there is a nationwide study of intelligence, sorted by the states. No such study has been conducted.

Justice Katju: “Tamilians are some of the most superstitious people in India.”

Comment: Again, there is no way of knowing this. No study has been conducted on the level of superstitousness in India.

Justice Katju: “Now, Rahukalam is all nonsense (as is all astrology), but over 90 per cent of Tamilians believe in it.”

Comment: No basis for the figure.

Justice Katju: “Their (members of the Broadcast Editors Association) pay packages (sometimes going up to two or three crores per year) are often linked with the TRP rating. Their owners have given one simple instruction to them — keep the TRP rating high.”

Comment: Completely anecdotal. Has Justice Katju seen even one contract between these members and their employers which proves this statement? When speaking of print media, he has asked journalists to check before publishing. Has he attempted to speak to editors and employers and check on these statements? Has he attempted to fact-check?

Justice Katju: “Most Hindus are communal, and most Muslims are also communal.”

Comment: This is a statement that borders on the irresponsible and incendiary. When he says most, one presumes that he means more than 50 percent. What is the basis for this statement? No nationwide study on the communal-ness of Indians has been conducted.

Justice Katju: “All communal riots started after 1857. The English collector would secretly call the local panditji, give him money, and ask him to start speaking against Muslims, and he would also call the local Maulvi secretly and give him money to speak against Hindus.”

Comment: Completely anecdotal. Where is any evidence to support this statement?

Justice Katju: “The truth is that 99 per cent people of all communities are good.”

Comment: By using the word ‘truth’, Justice Katju suggests that his ’99 per cent’ figure is fact. What is the basis for this figure? In addition, this figure contradicts his earlier statement that ‘most Hindus’ and ‘most Muslims’ are communal. Are they communal and good? By inference, being communal is not bad.

There is so much for Justice Katju to do rather than take advantage of the media’s being besotted in him, causing and encouraging him to write drivel like this. What is his view on Mamata Banerjee’s plans for her government to start a newspaper and TV channel? What is he doing on her government’s objection to the TRAI deadline for digitisation of cable TV in Kolkata? Where is the follow-up on the attacks on journalists across the country?

Justice Katju needs to stop believing he is a celebrity and get down to the business of addressing issues that concern the Press Council of India and stop wasting time on issues that have no relevance to his responsibility.

And he needs to shed his bloated ego. In the first paragraph of his comment, the word ‘I’ appears FIVE times, the word ‘my’ once, the word ‘me’ once. The obsession with self comes out most offensively in the penultimate paragraph. “I have said all this not to demoralise Indians, but to point out to them the correct path to prosperity,” he says.

Now, isn’t he playing the godman, he professes to loath?

panduranghari and LurkerBaba like this.
  3. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

Justice should get rid of his bloated ego and I-know-everything attitude. His interviews or new reports are full of generalizations and anecdotes which cannot be proved by him. So, he needs to get rid of this I'm-above-all attitude and start speaking like a normal person.

4. Godless-Kafir

Godless-Kafir DFI Buddha Senior Member

Haha the title of the thread made me laugh. The press is sure as hell pissed with this guy.

5. Godless-Kafir

He is a religious moralist, people like him are necessary so we can have a counter opinion to that of the press but no enforcement as he suggests.

The Messiah likes this.
  6. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

My single point question is if 90% of Indians are stupid, then in which side does Justice Katju finds himself?

7. mayfair

mayfair Elite Member Elite Member

His Lordship is good fer a laff as always. Love him or loathe him, he cannot be ignored.

8. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

I think he confessed that he also belongs to that 90%, when directly asked about it.

9. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

The retired Justice is dying to remain in the limelight, seeking the halo that is misplacedly given to the Judges, many of them having been proved to be crooks and utter cretins.

However, in this instant case, the man is guilty of 'loose talk'. I do hope he had shown greater knowledge in his Judging days! I wonder how many are ruing the day he sat in judgement over their cases.

devgupt and W.G.Ewald like this.
  10. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

We should put him on SCOTUS to replace Justice Ginsburg, who doesn't support the US Constitution anyway.

Ray likes this.
  11. Godless-Kafir

To play a bit of Devils Advocate Katju is not totally an unreasonable fellow, he does has a few valid points on why to incite violence but he is anything but scientific like some religious people claim they are. However i dont agree that we need to live in a society filled with fear where Religion is above humor or criticism.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    The Messiah likes this.
  12. Ray

He will be a thumping success and a heartthrob in Palestine as Mr 'Cut-Jew'! :rofl:

13. Predator

Predator Regular Member

There is a competition between rakhi sawant and markandey katju to be in the news

I wonder how did this completely irrational and loud mouth person become a supreme court judge :shocked:

did he behave like this too when he was the judge? petitioners must have gone crazy after hearing his judgements

14. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

I saw him yesterday on Times Now, the way he reacted to criticism from Soli Sorabjee, as if he was back being a Judge and Soli was offering arguments in court.

15. Ray

I saw Katju also.

He seems to be a relic from the Stalin days of USSR!

16. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

on the contrary he is well respected and says what he feels rather than be dubious so one doesn't know where he stands with him.

17. Predator

Predator Regular Member

on one hand he supports freedom of press and on the other wants censorship of the internet, he holds contradictory opinion just like rakhi sawant who wants media attention to gain cheap publicity and then blames media for tarnishing her image as item girl