The state of rural schools in China and the broken educational system

JAISWAL

The state of rural schools in China and the broken educational system | Seeing Red in China
Yesterday we saw fist hand the
condition of a single school in
rural Guangxi, today we'll be
getting the bigger picture of the
state of education in rural China,
and some of the systemic
problems. Even Global Times (a
State run paper) says that
Knowledge no longer power for rural poor
Facts and Figures
Currently the majority of primary and secondary teachers in rural
schools do not have 4-year
degrees.
Level of education of rural teachers 2003.
These statistics though do not
capture the full problem, as it
does not account for the divide between rural areas in the east
and west of China (the Eastern parts are much richer). For many
of my students in Guangxi, none
of their teachers prior to college
would have attended a 4-year school. Primary school teachers would be less educated as well.

This means that children in the
countryside start further behind
their urban counterparts.
Rural schools also lack modern equipment and facilities.
Equipment in classrooms Urban vs. Rural 2008. This means that most rural teachers still lecture for the majority of the class. Students also remain cut off from materials that may spark an interest in learning. In Ningxia province 17% of primary schools and 15% of middle schools do not even have libraries, so it should not be surprising that the average scores on the English portion of college entrance exam in the province are half of what
is required for China's major universities.
Another study showed that
virtually every rural school
teacher had used physical abuse
in their classroom. These teachers are rarely punished for their actions as I showed in my post " Abuse in Rural China | Seeing Red in China . Systemic Problems
The major cause of this gap is due to a significant lack of funding for education.
While China's goal is to invest 4% of the GDP in education (world average is 7%), many provinces fall short of even that low bar.
Through the 80"²s and 90"²s national funds were targeted at developing education on China's east coast, and local governments (the lowest level), were responsible for funding local schools. These local gov'ts diverted funds (and still do) to projects that they thought would give them better returns on their investments. Rural schools were so short on funding that teachers were often paid in locally produced goods, like baijiu and cigarettes, and left to resell them. Good teachers fled as fast as they could. This resulted in major rural/urban gap in education.
By the late 90"²s it was clear that major reforms were necessary, and the responsibility of funding these schools moved up one level to the county gov't, and national funds were to be more evenly disbursed. Provinces were also supposed to facilitate the transfer of funds to their poorer
regions. Yet, major problems remain.
Poor counties still are expected to educate students with incredibly limited resources. In rural areas salaries usually make up 80-90% of their budgets, and the remainder is spent on classroom supplies. This results in crumbling buildings, where teachers are left to scrounge for
chalk and erasers so that they can use their blackboards which are actual boards painted black (I know this from personal experience).
Without proper funding, it is hard to imagine the countryside ever catching up with the urban
areas. China must once again re-evaluate its policies, or doom millions to substandar education, and a bleak future.
Next we will be looking at teachers in China's rural schools.,

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I was under the impression that education was of prime importance in China with a great deal of attention being given to it!

So, that is what is the actual picture?

Blackwater

The state of rural schools in China and the broken educational system | Seeing Red in China
Yesterday we saw fist hand the
condition of a single school in
rural Guangxi, today we'll be
getting the bigger picture of the
state of education in rural China,
and some of the systemic
problems. Even Global Times (a
State run paper) says that
Knowledge no longer power for rural poor
Facts and Figures
Currently the majority of primary and secondary teachers in rural
schools do not have 4-year
degrees.
Level of education of rural teachers 2003.
These statistics though do not
capture the full problem, as it
does not account for the divide between rural areas in the east
and west of China (the Eastern parts are much richer). For many
of my students in Guangxi, none
of their teachers prior to college
would have attended a 4-year school. Primary school teachers would be less educated as well.

This means that children in the
countryside start further behind
their urban counterparts.
Rural schools also lack modern equipment and facilities.
Equipment in classrooms Urban vs. Rural 2008. This means that most rural teachers still lecture for the majority of the class. Students also remain cut off from materials that may spark an interest in learning. In Ningxia province 17% of primary schools and 15% of middle schools do not even have libraries, so it should not be surprising that the average scores on the English portion of college entrance exam in the province are half of what
is required for China's major universities.
Another study showed that
virtually every rural school
teacher had used physical abuse
in their classroom. These teachers are rarely punished for their actions as I showed in my post " Abuse in Rural China | Seeing Red in China . Systemic Problems
The major cause of this gap is due to a significant lack of funding for education.
While China's goal is to invest 4% of the GDP in education (world average is 7%), many provinces fall short of even that low bar.
Through the 80"²s and 90"²s national funds were targeted at developing education on China's east coast, and local governments (the lowest level), were responsible for funding local schools. These local gov'ts diverted funds (and still do) to projects that they thought would give them better returns on their investments. Rural schools were so short on funding that teachers were often paid in locally produced goods, like baijiu and cigarettes, and left to resell them. Good teachers fled as fast as they could. This resulted in major rural/urban gap in education.
By the late 90"²s it was clear that major reforms were necessary, and the responsibility of funding these schools moved up one level to the county gov't, and national funds were to be more evenly disbursed. Provinces were also supposed to facilitate the transfer of funds to their poorer
regions. Yet, major problems remain.
Poor counties still are expected to educate students with incredibly limited resources. In rural areas salaries usually make up 80-90% of their budgets, and the remainder is spent on classroom supplies. This results in crumbling buildings, where teachers are left to scrounge for
chalk and erasers so that they can use their blackboards which are actual boards painted black (I know this from personal experience).
Without proper funding, it is hard to imagine the countryside ever catching up with the urban
areas. China must once again re-evaluate its policies, or doom millions to substandar education, and a bleak future.
Next we will be looking at teachers in China's rural schools.,

No wonder they are only good at copying and cozy with paki-ing :thumb::thumb::taunt1::taunt1::scared2::scared2:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I was under the impression that education was of prime importance in China with a great deal of attention being given to it!

You forget chini policy of "total deceit" ?

balai_c

So what is the difference with India? At least we are upfront and honest.

JAISWAL

this artical shows why chinis are expert in copy pasting, other than innovation.

no smoking

Country flag
You must be kidding me!

I just wonder the purpose of this report? Critising CCP or Appraising them?

Base on USA's standard or even taiwan's standard, China's education in rural area is a quite shit hole.

For anyone who knows china's education history, it is quite impressive development.

Come on, english skill or library? Don't you think it is a little early to use these standards to judge china's education system in rural area?

Nagraj

I dunno but when i was going through this report i thought their rural schools are far superior to our rural schools .

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I dunno but when i was going through this report i thought their rural schools are far superior to our rural schools .
India's rural education is not up to the mark.

But if one recalls, there was a thread on Chinese education earlier, where the Chinese posters did append links that showed how glorious was the education system in China.

After that, this new Exposé does come as a shock!

Apparently, one does not know what really is the status of anything in China since it is laced with misinformation and it depends on the flavour of the month!

nimo_cn

Country flag

The actual picture is we are better than India.

The country with the most illiterates is India, not China.

No one ever claimed China is perfect, what is wrong with being imperfect?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The actual picture is we are better than India.

The country with the most illiterates is India, not China.

No one ever claimed China is perfect, what is wrong with being imperfect?
Right as rain it has come.

The usual somersault!

Forgotten the earlier thread?

ice berg

India's rural education is not up to the mark.

But if one recalls, there was a thread on Chinese education earlier, where the Chinese posters did append links that showed how glorious was the education system in China.

After that, this new Exposé does come as a shock!

Apparently, one does not know what really is the status of anything in China since it is laced with misinformation and it depends on the flavour of the month!
By the new Exposé, you mean the article writen by someone using almost 10 years old data? The only shock is how low some people can sunk.

Everyone who paying attention know there is alot room for improvement there. China is still a poor country. It is all about what country you compare her with. With developed countries or developing ones.

huaxia rox

1 why would threads like this end up going down to comparing indian to chinese that easily is really beyound my undesstanding coz its very obvious who is doing better without the need to say... even to those who would like to keep denying what r facts and what aint.....actually who cares?

2 for those who really dont understand anything.....u must 1stly define where r the rural schools? its a school in rural area in guangdong or in gansu? of coz the pictures would often look completely different. in a rapidly developing big nation u can see the 1st class and also very bad situations....can that be more understandable?

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Please give a general view of rural education and how it can be improved.

Even in the so called developed nation, education is a nightmare and imperfect.

On why it is brought down to a competitive status?

It reminds me of Shylock and his speech - to bait fish withal.......

no smoking

Country flag
Please give a general view of rural education and how it can be improved.

Even in the so called developed nation, education is a nightmare and imperfect.
The problem is this report uses wrong standard not whose education system is better. I think the followings may be more appropriate:

the ratio of children attending school;
the ratio of children droping from school;
the average ability of their math & writting after 9 or 12 years eduction.

English would be the last one we need to look at.

RedDragon

After see this post, how I wish our Chinese children can learn in the good and clean India rural school.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The problem is this report uses wrong standard not whose education system is better. I think the followings may be more appropriate:

the ratio of children attending school;
the ratio of children droping from school;
the average ability of their math & writting after 9 or 12 years eduction.

English would be the last one we need to look at.
I am not looking at which country's education is best.

Each country has its own issues that are not applicable across the board in the world.

However, in China, as I understand, the education is controlled centrally. Therefore, standardisation would be there to include monitoring.

It is important to understand the problems there since our Federal Education Minister is trying to bring in new laws that would cause upheaval in the system and so it is essential to understand the problems and smooth sailing experienced by others to include China.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles