The Sharp Mile - a Rollercoaster Saga riddled with bullets

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Dear Friends,

I am happy to share with you that I've written and published a story I built over a period of time.

'The Sharp Mile' is a thrilling voyage themed in an Indian city. At the baby steps, the story nose dives into a terrorist attack of unprecedented intensity.
From the burnt ruins of peace, struggle of its protagonists; this saga brings out a message with triumph. A message that is worth reading.

I take this opportunity in thanking my friends at DefenceForumIndia.com (especially @Singh , @sayareakd , @Ray Sir) for their valuable inputs in improving this manuscript.

Though it may be a little imperfect, being my first effort; I cherish the story and its publishing as a special memory.
I invite you to read the book and live this story with me, as I have lived and honed for quite some time now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently the work is available as an e-book via Amazon Kindle, Smashwords.
In just a few days it will be live at major online retailers such as Apple iBookstores, Barnes & Noble, Sony, Kobo, WH Smith and Pothi.com.

Click here to download free Kindle ebook reading Apps for your Android phone/tablet, iPad, iPhone, Mac, Windows 8 PC/tablet, Blackberry or Windows Phone - Amazon.com: Free Kindle Reading Apps

Following are the links to the book's page at various online distribution platforms:
Amazon - The Sharp Mile: Virendra Rathore: Amazon.com: Kindle Store
Smashwords - https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/319823
Pothi - <link would be updated by May 28th>

I wish you a happy reading. Thank you so much !!

Regards,
Virendra

Last edited by a moderator:

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
How it begins :

The Home Ministry's Chopper landed at the field, throwing splashes of chilled water off the ground. It had been raining all night and the Sun had just begun cheering up.
An elderly figure appeared out thanking the pilot for a smooth landing after the rough ride – owing to the uninvited winter rains.

The Car waiting for the officer was now in ignition and took off with him to the nearby building.
The NIA{1} office was bustling in SOS{2} mode.
"Tiwari did you activate the local asset?" asked the senior officer barging into the control room. The old shepherd's calm yet stern demeanour, clad in an average safari suit gave away the aura of a no non-sense man.

"Yes Sir" Tiwari continues after a pause "Don't worry Sir, he knows the area very well. He'll hit the ground zero running" guessing the next question. His colleagues in the background were still whispering in low voice "You remember how they got Laden 6 years back?" before the old man's next question forced them to chuck it.
For a larger snippet, please visit The Sharp Mile: Virendra Rathore: Amazon.com: Kindle Store or https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/319823
If you like it, do share with friends and peers.

Regards,
Virendra

Reactions: sob

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Is this book available on Flipkart?
Thanks for pointing that out Sir. I thought Flipkart only had print editions.
Mine is just a small ebook of 23,000 words.
But turns out they have ebook download options as well (named Flyte).
I will look into it and if possible, certainly upload there as well.

Smashwords has published following e-formats for the book :
Online Reading
Kindle (.mobi)
Epub
PDF
RTF
LRF
Palm Doc (PDB)
Plain Text (download)
Plain Text (viewable as web page)

Regards,
Virendra

TrueSpirit

Sir, plz try getting a soft/hard copy on flipkart...

Dear Friends,

I am happy to share with you that I've written and published a story I built over a period of time.

'The Sharp Mile' is a thrilling voyage themed in an Indian city. At the baby steps, the story nose dives into a terrorist attack of unprecedented intensity.
From the burnt ruins of peace, struggle of its protagonists; this saga brings out a message with triumph. A message that is worth reading.

I take this opportunity in thanking my friends at DefenceForumIndia.com (especially @Singh , @sayareakd , @Ray Sir) for their valuable inputs in improving this manuscript.

Though it may be a little imperfect, being my first effort; I cherish the story and its publishing as a special memory.
I invite you to read the book and live this story with me, as I have lived and honed for quite some time now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently the work is available as an e-book via Amazon Kindle, Smashwords.
In just a few days it will be live at major online retailers such as Apple iBookstores, Barnes & Noble, Sony, Kobo, WH Smith and Pothi.com.

Click here to download free Kindle ebook reading Apps for your Android phone/tablet, iPad, iPhone, Mac, Windows 8 PC/tablet, Blackberry or Windows Phone - Amazon.com: Free Kindle Reading Apps

Following are the links to the book's page at various online distribution platforms:
Amazon - The Sharp Mile: Virendra Rathore: Amazon.com: Kindle Store
Smashwords - https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/319823
Pothi - <link would be updated by May 28th>

I wish you a happy reading. Thank you so much !!

Regards,
Virendra

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Flipkart says they don't take ebooks. Meaning they provide ebooks only for print editions.
I don't think anyone would be interested in a 23,000 words matter, to print it as a book :confused:

Sir, plz try getting a soft/hard copy on flipkart...
As far as soft copies are concerned, ebook is already available for downloads in all formats at Smashwords.
For the hard print, sorry I don't have a solution as of now :(

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Alright folks, the story goes free !!

A one day Free Giveaway is organized at Amazon, from May 30th 1 PM IST to May 31st 1 PM IST. Do grab your copy without fail :)
Book page - The Sharp Mile: Virendra Rathore: Amazon.com: Kindle Store
Blog - The Sharp Mile – free giveaway | agrippedsoul
The eBook can be accessed without Kindle device via the apps like 'Kindle for PC'.

It would help me a lot if you could let me know of your valuable review at the story's Amazon page, here or via a post/article at your blogs.
Looking forward to it. Thank you

Regards,
Virendra

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Just to remind, the eBook will be free for the next 24 hours at Amazon. Do grab your copy :)
Edit - You can also read the book online at Safari, Chrome or firefox browser by visitnig Cloud reader - https://read.amazon.com/
this is not available for IE though. But still a good option to byepass Kindle Apps etc. if you don't want to get into all that.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
The Free Giveaway period has been extended till June 1st 01:30 PM IST :)

The Last Stand

Country flag
@Virendra,

Downloaded the book yesterday.

Finished it in 45 minutes.

Storyline, basic idea was good.

But you were inconsistent in writing - i.e. Punctuation and censoring.

The story must have been better refined.

Research - very good.

Rating - 3/5

Not bad for a first book but on quality side, it's not on a high level. Refining more before publishing could have helped.

I spotted spelling mistakes and some bad grammar. Also, try to italicize Hindi (Other language in general) words and then translate, it tends to stand out.

P.S A good Tom Clancy book can give better pointers than I can. I'm an author too and one of my short stories has been published by Scholastic.

Sorry if this sounded harsh.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
@Virendra,

Downloaded the book yesterday.

Finished it in 45 minutes.

Storyline, basic idea was good.

But you were inconsistent in writing - i.e. Punctuation and censoring.

The story must have been better refined.

Research - very good.

Rating - 3/5

Not bad for a first book but on quality side, it's not on a high level. Refining more before publishing could have helped.

I spotted spelling mistakes and some bad grammar. Also, try to italicize Hindi (Other language in general) words and then translate, it tends to stand out.

P.S A good Tom Clancy book can give better pointers than I can. I'm an author too and one of my short stories has been published by Scholastic.

Sorry if this sounded harsh.
No no, it's ok. I know that being a first timer, my write-up couldn't be a sky rocket success :)
I wrote this on and off over a period of time; probably it showed up.
It would help me if you could post a review at Amazon or Goodreads.
Meanwhile, I will try to revise and upload the manuscript again.
Thanks again for your valuable feedback.

Regards,
Virendra

The Last Stand

Country flag
No no, it's ok. I know that being a first timer, my write-up couldn't be a sky rocket success :)
I'd be happy if you could post a review at Amazon or Goodreads.
Meanwhile, I will try to revise the manuscript again or perhaps a fresh eye is needed to fix things up.
Thanks again for your valuable feedback.

Regards,
Virendra
I'm quite lazy but I'll get the review on Goodreads by tomorrow at the very least. Amazon is tough, it's not my kindle :(

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles