The Sahayak

Discussion in 'Members Corner' started by t_co, Mar 4, 2014.

1. t_co

t_co Senior Member Senior Member

Thought this story (not mine) would resonate with the folks here:

-----

The Sahayak

This is not meant to scare anyone.

Calling it a creepy story would be a bit of an insult, because it isn't one. This is an expression of gratitude toward a friend, a friend who was always there for me. He watched over me as I was growing up and was the best friend any kid could ever have.

Even if I didn't recognize it at the time.

He was always there, even though I couldn’t see him, and he was always acting in my best interests, even if I couldn’t understand. I’d like to take some time to share with you our story, because if you’re lucky, you might have a friend like this too.

I think I should let you read his letter first. In May of 2010, I bought a new computer and took my old one to the shop to have everything backed up. I'd brought the new computer home and had begun restoring my files from my portable hard drive and reinstalling programs when I noticed that there was a file in the Misc. folder that the shop's technician had created for files with no other place. It was called HappyBirthday.txt.

Initially I thought it was a message my mom had written for me that I'd never read as intended, but I opened it, and this is what I found:

I was gobsmacked when I read this letter; everything finally made sense. All the things that happened when I was growing up. I'd always thought I was seeing things until that day when my ex-boyfriend almost raped me. I’ll be the first to admit that I was scared of him, because I didn’t understand what he was, why he was there or what he was after, but now I see that I had it all wrong.

A few days after reading the letter, I asked my mom a few questions about the spooky things that happened when I was growing up. She was very nonchalant about the whole thing- until I mentioned what happened in the market. There, she stopped cleaning, set down her cloth, turned to me and smiled. "You always had a guardian angel watching over you, honey. I don’t know if it was your father or not, but who or whatever it was, it made sure nothing bad ever really happened to you." As she turned around and began cleaning the dishes, she asked, "So I guess you met it then, right? Your spirit friend?"

"Not exactly, he left something for me." I went upstairs, brought my laptop down and showed her the letter on my computer. My mother was crying by the time she finished and she told me all about my dad’s friend...

“He was a kind boy... your father brought him home once to meet me and he had a certain thing about him. That man was as loyal as a dog to your father, he had a love and respect for him that even I was intimidated by at times... When he came to our home on leave, Maninder nearly had to order him to make himself at home, and he even had to be asked to take his uniform off. He looked up to Maninder almost like a boy looks up to his father. I don’t really know his background but I remember your father telling me that he was a good drinking partner, a fine soldier, and an invaluable friend."

She took a deep breath and choked back a few of her tears before continuing on.

"They found that poor boy and your father all alone in a building that had been overrun by their enemy. They'd been out on recce, and their team got separated when they came under fire. The rest of the boys on your father's team survived, but those two weren’t so lucky... The way they found them was peculiar," she swallowed heavily, looked me right in the eye and said "That boy was found on top of your father, riddled with bullets... he was shielding him right up until the moment he died. He could have gotten away but he refused to leave your injured fathers side."

With that we both burst into tears... Love. That’s exactly what he was, he was a guardian. I'd never had any reason to be afraid of him, and I’d have given anything just to tell him I was sorry and that I loved him back. I had no right to have done all those terrible things I did to him at the end, I realized, and I realized that he had loved my father so much not even death could keep him from that promise he'd mentioned in the letter. When I asked what the promise was, my mother looked at me and with tears in her eyes said “It was made in this very house while they were setting up your room, it was just-"

“No matter what happens, promise me you’ll watch over my daughter.”

@Ray @Kunal Biswas

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    nirranj likes this.
  3. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

@t-co

Thanks.

I have just returned from the Silver Jubilee Celebration of my unit's PVC Day.

My own Sahayak was my LO.

It was like meeting an old friend.

He looked after both me and my wife since he was a Sahayak for long with us. We exchanged gifts, we for his whole family and he for my children, who are now grown up. But when the talked over the phone, it was like old times rewind. We are a family, irrespective of difference of rank and we, all, can do no wrong and our love and affection for each other can never die!

He too would have died for me, as I would die for him!

nirranj likes this.