The razor's edge between patriotism and nationalism

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Peter, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Peter

Peter Senior Member Senior Member

Imposing a 'national' culture on a diverse land takes the Indianness out of India, writes Devi Kar

:thumb:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
    Ray and The Messiah like this.
  3. Peter

Peter Senior Member Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  4. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Well im a nationalist rather than a patriot. India must conquer the entire world and impose its constitution throughout the world.

Yes i know this is a pipe dream with the current setting of things :namaste:

5. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

May be a bit off-topic. But since it is about nationalism and today the 10h Feb AAP blizzard came in Delhi, I was having a chat about Delhi election with a colleague - a die-hard AAP supporter, who suddenly dropped that 'There shouldn't be a Republic day each year and may be once in 10-year. the expenditure is baseless." Now that guy is a good Indian citizen, but can I call him lacking much needed nationilism?

6. Nicky G

Nicky G Senior Member Senior Member

Simple question to cut things short. Nationalism leads to sense of superiority of one set of people over another, that's somehow unacceptable. So what about other ideologies that generate the same set of feelings among a set of people. Religions for instance, particularly the Abrahamic ones.

Nationalism is a consequence of humans nature just as many other similar group-associations are. Its just a matter of convenience that people chose to accept one and disregard the other.

Also, as usual, lefties miss basic issues, there are so many, let me try to expand a couple of them.

We all would have heard, 'History is written by winners', in such a scenario considering the subjugation of India over the past centuries, I am not sure what a credible history and historians means. Do you believe students in India get a taste of 'credible' history?

Next, contrasting the Indian experience with the American exposes clear hypocrisy. Those lefties who'd wish to teach about blacks being enslaved and abused, do not wish to teach about atrocities by the 'peaceful' community and their rulers in India for instance.

7. anoop_mig25

anoop_mig25 Senior Member Senior Member

May be he was trolling you ....

8. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

Nope. He was very serious.

9. Nicky G

Nicky G Senior Member Senior Member

The core supporters of AAP I have had the misfortune of encountering are fanatics, sort of a cult mentality.

Let me too give a personal account. I have a second cousin who is just of voting age, she obviously voted AAP. So yesterday, she called me to gloat and I dismissed her points as usual but one thing stuck out. I asked her, if rape happens now in Delhi as they inevitably would, who is to blame? She responded, perverted mentality of some people. However, that was not her stance in the Uber case or other cases around the country.

I of course do not wish to extrapolate based on one AAPtard, but I will say that all I have encountered in person and on the net suffer for a sort of cognitive dissonance or to put it simply a cult mentality.

10. genius

genius Regular Member

Gandhi was a patriot. The rss brand of nationalism is toxic and a danger to India.