The Physical Fitness Thread

What do you prefer?

• Good body shape only, strength doesn't matter to me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I hate excercise.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag
Steroids and human growth hormones are always bad to health. It can been seen evidently. For example, see Ronnie Coleman and Helmut streble.

Sent from my XT1022 using Tapatalk

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
Wow. This is interesting.

So, juicers who do not exercise still gain muscle.

So, non-exercising juicers will still gain 50% more muscle than natural builders, but will only gain 10% more strength.

No wonder they say, no pain, no gain.

P.S.: The article mentioned researchers. A link to that research would have been better.
I too have some doubt over the claim that you can be entirely sedentary but still gain muscle mass if on dianabols & such (for, the body is very stubborn; it would try its best to resist repairs and strengthening until there's a CONSISTENT progression in load and resistance, and even if there's an external stimulator like anabolic steroid, why/how would it boost this process if there's no demand/requirement/'site' where the process is reqd.); but OTOH there seems to be some truth too to it. around 8 years back when I retook weight-training, this time taking my first baby steps towards powerbuilding, that time a jolly young chap used to come in our gym, with good athletic physique & all. one evening he came & just began showing off his calves. never had I seen such either on him or anyone else. I was left bewildered. later when he went off i learnt that that was the magic of over-the-counter injection. and the fellow's regimen involved some heavy movements when in a group, hence was an irregular, with lots of joking & gossiping, some dancing & fooling around, followed by a pouch or two of pan masala. no diet-discipline either it seemed. later soon he disappeared (moved to some other place).

that was also the time when i learnt first-hand that that the thing which probably came closest to anabolic steroids was/is (synthesized) creatine (CEE or creatine ethyl ester was introduced for the first time during those days, but soon discontinued, and creatine monohydrate remained the king).

P.S. - do you have flat feet?

Last edited:

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
Steroids and human growth hormones are always bad to health. It can been seen evidently. For example, see Ronnie Coleman and Helmut streble.

fitness and health end where/when pro bodybuilding starts/takes over

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag
fitness and health end where/when pro bodybuilding starts/takes over
Helmut streble is not only a natural bodybuilder but a cross trainer. He is a triathlete too.

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag
then how was he adversely affected?!
Helmut is still in his shape. Coleman lost all of his shape and depleted frame. He is affected by polomboism. You can check his Olympian photos and present ones.

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
Helmut is still in his shape. Coleman lost all of his shape and depleted frame. He is affected by polomboism. You can check his Olympian photos and present ones.

ok so you meant ronnie coleman V/S helmut streble.
I had one of ronnie's dvds once. it seemed pathetic to watch him go to doc/physio for simple exercises to improve flexibility. goes to tell that all these IFBB etc. & pro-BB + the obsession have rarely to do with good health or staying healthy.

pmaitra

I too have some doubt over the claim that you can be entirely sedentary but still gain muscle mass if on dianabols & such (for, the body is very stubborn; it would try its best to resist repairs and strengthening until there's a CONSISTENT progression in load and resistance, and even if there's an external stimulator like anabolic steroid, why/how would it boost this process if there's no demand/requirement/'site' where the process is reqd.); but OTOH there seems to be some truth too to it. around 8 years back when I retook weight-training, this time taking my first baby steps towards powerbuilding, that time a jolly young chap used to come in our gym, with good athletic physique & all. one evening he came & just began showing off his calves. never had I seen such either on him or anyone else. I was left bewildered. later when he went off i learnt that that was the magic of over-the-counter injection. and the fellow's regimen involved some heavy movements when in a group, hence was an irregular, with lots of joking & gossiping, some dancing & fooling around, followed by a pouch or two of pan masala. no diet-discipline either it seemed. later soon he disappeared (moved to some other place).

that was also the time when i learnt first-hand that that the thing which probably came closest to anabolic steroids was/is (synthesized) creatine (CEE or creatine ethyl ester was introduced for the first time during those days, but soon discontinued, and creatine monohydrate remained the king).

P.S. - do you have flat feet?
I have this pesky habit of asking for references. The link by @genius was an interesting read. I saw it referred to researchers. So, I pointed out that the article lacks any link or reference to any research.

Perhaps the truth is somewhere in the middle.

P.S.: No, I don't have flat feet.

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
I have this pesky habit of asking for references. The link by @genius was an interesting read. I saw it referred to researchers. So, I pointed out that the article lacks any link or reference to any research.

Perhaps the truth is somewhere in the middle.

P.S.: No, I don't have flat feet.
alright. since you wrote of having achilles tendon pain in your legs I thought may be its due to having flat feet.

pmaitra

alright. since you wrote of having achilles tendon pain in your legs I thought may be its due to having flat feet.
Check the highlighted parts:
What Can Cause Achilles Tendon Injuries?
An Achilles tendon injury might be caused by:

• Overuse
  • Stepping up your level of physical activity too quickly
  • Wearing high heels, which increases the stress on the tendon
  • Problems with the feet; an Achilles tendon injury can result from flat feet, also known as fallen arches or overpronation. In this condition, the impact of a step causes the arch of your foot to collapse, stretching the muscles and tendons.
  • Muscles or tendons in the leg that are too tight
Achilles tendon injuries are common in people who participate in these sports:

• Running
  • Gymnastics
  • Dance
  • Football
  • Baseball
  • Softball
  • Basketball
  • Tennis
  • Volleyball
You're more likely to tear an Achilles tendon when you start moving suddenly. For instance, a sprinter might get one at the start of a race. The abrupt tensing of the muscle can be too much for the tendon to handle. Men older than age 30 are particularly prone to Achilles tendon injuries.
Source: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/achilles-tendon-injury

"You start moving suddenly" when you play a lot of soccer.

pmaitra

so soccer is the source of your problem? I recall reading somewhere that you do play football/soccer.

my case falls under the 2nd and 3rd points.
I used to play soccer. The first time I had an injury was at a soccer field. I recovered after about a week.

Then I had the same thing in the other leg, after about a year. I recovered again.

Then, I stopped playing soccer, although I do play occasionally, but I do run, regularly.

I use Nike Hyperdunk shoes and also use ankle wraps. That helps a lot. Sometimes, I get a mild pain, which does not affect my performance at all. It stays for a day or two, and then goes away.

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
I used to play soccer. The first time I had an injury was at a soccer field. I recovered after about a week.

Then I had the same thing in the other leg, after about a year. I recovered again.

Then, I stopped playing soccer, although I do play occasionally, but I do run, regularly.

I use Nike Hyperdunk shoes and also use ankle wraps. That helps a lot. Sometimes, I get a mild pain, which does not affect my performance at all. It stays for a day or two, and then goes away.
I get pain in my feet/surrounding irregularly, at different points, achilles tendon being one of them. presently on the look-out for either some suitable shoes for work and play or atleast a good orthotic accessory. will check about these hyperdunk shoes if can be helpful for me.

P.S. - wrote wrong. points 2 and 4 are the triggers of injury/pain for me.

pmaitra

I get pain in my feet/surrounding irregularly, at different points, achilles tendon being one of them. presently on the look-out for either some suitable shoes for work and play or atleast a good orthotic accessory. will check about these hyperdunk shoes if can be helpful for me.

Nike Men's Hyperdunk 2015 Basketball Shoes

Self adhering foot wrap

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag

May be you are using wrong shoes or you are running in a perpendicular position. When you run in flat body pos, your feet are going to take much pressure. Take an aggressive dashing stance while you run. I may be wrong that I'm considering that you are facing Achilles pain because of running.

I suffered from shin splints for a month and only after I changed my running stance, I've recovered from it. Don't use flat shoes, either use barefoot shoes or shoes with sole bigger at heels. Correct me if I'm wrong.

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
May be you are using wrong shoes or you are running in a perpendicular position. When you run in flat body pos, your feet are going to take much pressure. Take an aggressive dashing stance while you run. I may be wrong that I'm considering that you are facing Achilles pain because of running.

I suffered from shin splints for a month and only after I changed my running stance, I've recovered from it. Don't use flat shoes, either use barefoot shoes or shoes with sole bigger at heels. Correct me if I'm wrong.

shoes, i still can't figure out which are the ultimate correct shoes for me. though have been using running shoes since some time. will get some suggestions from a couple of sports docs/orthotists whom i have to visit. probably will have to get them made, an expensive affair. but even then, these days the baffling thing is that the more i use/wear such supposedly 'arch-correcting' shoes and accessories, the more frequent the random pains. hence have stopped usage of such things for the time being.

you are correct about the running pos. have not tried the aggressive running pos except in short sprints. will look more about this. though i run very less these days.

i used to have those shin splits a decade back (~12 years ago), during the beginning of our course-trng days. used to occur upon running. i told about this to our PTI (Physical Trng Instructor). he made an 'example' of me (lol) and explained to all the squads assembled in the muster why the pain was occuring - pointed at my shoes. basically i had rejected the shoes that were distributed to us for running, and instead continued with the same shoes that i used to wear for my martial arts practice. those were ultra-light and comfortable for kicking, jumping, etc., as they had very thin heels (yes, almost flat) & body, but which made them less than ideal for running. after this episode i changed my shoes, and voila! the pain soon went off as if it were never there.

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag
shoes, i still can't figure out which are the ultimate correct shoes for me. though have been using running shoes since some time. will get some suggestions from a couple of sports docs/orthotists whom i have to visit. probably will have to get them made, an expensive affair. but even then, these days the baffling thing is that the more i use/wear such supposedly 'arch-correcting' shoes and accessories, the more frequent the random pains. hence have stopped usage of such things for the time being.

you are correct about the running pos. have not tried the aggressive running pos except in short sprints. will look more about this. though i run very less these days.

i used to have those shin splits a decade back (~12 years ago), during the beginning of our course-trng days. used to occur upon running. i told about this to our PTI (Physical Trng Instructor). he made an 'example' of me (lol) and explained to all the squads assembled in the muster why the pain was occuring - pointed at my shoes. basically i had rejected the shoes that were distributed to us for running, and instead continued with the same shoes that i used to wear for my martial arts practice. those were ultra-light and comfortable for kicking, jumping, etc., as they had very thin heels (yes, almost flat) & body, but which made them less than ideal for running. after this episode i changed my shoes, and voila! the pain soon went off as if it were never there.
An ideal running shoe must support our foot print and adjust to it such that our calves and shin muscles take less pressure. I used to have shoes with medium but hard sole which gave me immense pain. I went to a cobbler shop and have a pair of stuffed inner padding made specifically and replaced them with the factory ones. That worked for me.

That's the difference between shoes with foam made sole and Nike air Max. Air Maxs sole is made of multi layer adjustable sole. It supports our footprint. Normal shoes get crushed between our feet and the ground and by thus causing stress in our muscles and leading pains and muscle fractures.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles