The Persistence of Problems in China's Factories

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
How is that? Please enlighten me!
Stand by for the Chinese onslaught.

They will prove that all those chaps are merely peasants and workers who have worked so ever hard to be where they are! ;) :pound:

They will prove Deng and Li are but peasants!

no smoking

Country flag
All the factories are owned by high ranking CCP members and rest of society is
low wage labor.
Can you provide a source to support your claim that all the factories are owned by high ranking CCP members? Because lots of my friends owing factories are not CCP members at all.

And What is your standard "low wage"? Is $4000 per years a "low wage" in india?

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
A report in 2010 reported that the average monthly salary, including overtime, for a migrant worker was estimated to be just £150.
Across China there are an estimated 8,000 toy-making factories employing 3.5 million people.
According to New York-based China Labour Watch Chinese factory workers often work an extra 36.5 hours a week but are paid only 59 per cent of the minimum wage.

Abuses: With the pressure to produce toys in time for Christmas, factory workers in China are forced to work long hours and sleep in the factory. Working hard: Human rights campaigners have frequently raised concerns over the conditions of Chinese factory workers who make an estimated £150 a month.
These images give a stark insight into the monotonous life endured by thousands of Chinese factory workers in the country which makes 75 per cent of the world's toys, including well-known characters such as Mickey Mouse and SpongeBob SquarePants.

Read more: Real Toy Story: The Chinese factory workers forced to sleep on factory floors | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

MORE INFO for REFERENCE

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2010/09/27/china’s-continuing-labor-problems/

cinoti

Tihar Jail
Banned
That is real rare!

When there was the continuous deluge of the 'wonders of China' photos and real China, with photos, were posted by some Indian posters, the shrill China shining came down a few notches!
I don't see too much comparison in the shining of India though, what China did bad, India did worse.What China did good, India did less.
that is a fact.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Can you provide a source to support your claim that all the factories are owned by high ranking CCP members? Because lots of my friends owing factories are not CCP members at all.

And What is your standard "low wage"? Is $4000 per years a "low wage" in india?
You seem to have missed out on the threads that showed corruption and crony capitalism within the top honchos and their families of the Communist Party of China,

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I don't see too much comparison in the shining of India though, what China did bad, India did worse.What China did good, India did less.
that is a fact.
No, none on this forum has shown anything shining about India.

In fact, most of the threads speak of the ills that besot India.

However, Chinese posters have made it their national prestige to showcase China leaving out the horrors, which the Indians tiring of the lopside presentation of China and its wonders, were forced to show the Other Side of Sunlight.

s002wjh

Country flag
china can't compare to developed world such as US, but the fact remain it left hundreds millions out of poverty. and the wage is already high enough for low-tech manufacture jobs outsource to phillippine, indonesia, and other poorer place. I haven seen people post articles regarding job outsource from china to other place for low-tech manufacture due to wage raise, and yet the same people complain about so call china slave wage, seem contradicting to me ;)

no smoking

Country flag
You seem to have missed out on the threads that showed corruption and crony capitalism within the top honchos and their families of the Communist Party of China,
Corruption in China is one thing.

Accusing the every private company is owned by CCP high rank officer is another thing.

no smoking

Country flag
Maybe the manner in which China is operating, the Chinese feel that the Chinese govt is as good as an MNC! :rofl:
First, this map is all about state-owned companies, it has nothing to do with private companies.
Second, this map doesn't reflect any part of manner in which China is operating!

RedDragon

No, none on this forum has shown anything shining about India.

In fact, most of the threads speak of the ills that besot India.

However, Chinese posters have made it their national prestige to showcase China leaving out the horrors, which the Indians tiring of the lopside presentation of China and its wonders, were forced to show the Other Side of Sunlight.
China shining? I always think there are only India shining.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Corruption in China is one thing.

Accusing the every private company is owned by CCP high rank officer is another thing.
Not every.

I am going by a post of a Chinese poster, who had complained how this father was making no headway with his commercial activities because of the Party officials and crony capitalism.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
china can't compare to developed world such as US, but the fact remain it left hundreds millions out of poverty. and the wage is already high enough for low-tech manufacture jobs outsource to phillippine, indonesia, and other poorer place. I haven seen people post articles regarding job outsource from china to other place for low-tech manufacture due to wage raise, and yet the same people complain about so call china slave wage, seem contradicting to me ;)
Western sources indicate that the wages are slave like.

Not Indians.

It is we, who wish to know how come?

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
Perilous conditions and more importantly future health problems due to the poor environmental conditions will certainly remain a huge burden in China. There will be frequent uprisings but unless there's pressure on the Western company that sells the product the likelihood of improvement in working conditions low. Having said that I am totally in favor of putting every Western company under the magnifying lens and holding them accountable.

Having said all that there's no denying that manufacturing in China in spite of being exploitative has taken many people out of abject poverty. I'm by no means justifying the means by the ends, I'm just pointing out a phenomenon. Eventually by rules of simple economics the wages will go up, maybe not fairly, but they will increase which in turn will enable other nations to compete.

The fundamental set up of the Chinese establishment makes it easy to suppress labor and facilitates high scale corruption due to lack of accountability. However it's important to realize that the Chinese economic system as it stands today isn't based on complete suppression as it once was but rather on incentives which makes me believe that the manufacturing in China will not end up being a perpetual system of slave labor.

Is this the type of economic surge India would like to replicate slave driving workers?

Must India sell its Soul to be a Total Whole like China?
No this system will never work in India because the fundamental set up of the system disallows this which is why drawing comparisons with China is pointless. If India does in fact want to promote manufacturing (and it really should) then it has to work within its own system through adequate land and labor reform. It is not nearly as convenient as the Chinese model but that is the price a society has to pay when it wishes to be a free democratic republic. As things stand here's the problem with labor in India. Labor in the formal economy is abysmal because of corrupt labor unions which are an impediment to productivity. On the other hand there is a ridiculously high level of exploitation and abuse (including indentured servitude) in the informal economic sector where people are forced to go when they cannot find work in the paralyzed formal sector. Furthermore the set up in the informal sector is inherently resistive to modernization and mechanization because laborers can be exploited with impunity. As a result you end up with a large mass of impoverished laborers living in squalid conditions whose productivity level is capped due to the lack of technology.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles