The Partition of India

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Rage, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Rage

Rage DFI TEAM Stars and Ambassadors

Partition: The Day British-India burned

This following is a modified excerpt of a summary penned by a Pakisthanie friend who is also responsible for uploading the video. Some parts of the video are uploaded by an Indian, and others by a Pakistanie without however any loss of continuity.

"This excellent 9 part BBC documentary on the Partition of Independent India and provides a good summary of the fateful events leading to the cataclysmic decision by the British and the catastrophic suffering of ordinary people caught in the crossfire of communal hatred and political division. It describes in detail:

(a) British motivation for leaving India after World War 2 in a quick and face-saving manner; (b) the underlying distrust of Hindus and Muslims of each other despite centuries of living together; (c) Muslim educational and economic backwardness relative to Hindus and their fear of Hindu domination in a united India; (d) the failure of the March 1946 Cabinet Mission in Simla on account of Nehru's refusal to a agree to a decentralized Subcontinent; (e) the beginning of the Hindu-Muslim communal riots with Jinnah's call for Direct Action in Calcutta in August 1946; (f) the desperate attempts made by Gandhi to effect Hindu-Muslim unity via appeal to their humanity; and (g) the pressure exerted on most Princely States to agree to accession to India.

It also describes: (h) the manipulation of people by political leaders in the name of religion; (i) the slaughter, looting, raping, and mayhem among different communities at the village level; (j) the deep reluctance of people to abandon their generational homes; (k) the brave attempts of certain individuals to save their neighbors of "other" communities from forcible ethnic and religious cleansing; (l) the horrific price paid by women for "defending" their "honor"; (m) the utter lack of governmental preparation for a mass migration of people; (n) the "needless" human carnage caused by Mountbatten's decision to expedite the planned Partition; and (o) the decline of hitherto culturally rich and cosmopolitan cities like Lahore by loss of "other" communities. This documentary was made in 2007 by the British Broadcasting Network.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  3. Rage

Excerpt: Sixty years ago in August 1947, the British decided to quit India, nearly 200

years after they took power. They triggered one of the biggest migrations in

history when 15 million people were displaced and more than a million lost their

lives. As a British barrister draws a line on a map, one of the largest most

ethnically diverse nations in the world is divided.

This is the moving story of one of the worst communal massacres of the 20th

century told through powerful and often emotional personal testimony of people

who had lived together for centuries, but were now forced out of cities, villages

and their homes. Set in India against the backdrop of the triumphant Independence

celebrations in August 1947, this drama documentary tells the story of families,

a British soldier and key witnesses from each side of the divide. The 'big story'

of Mountbatten, Nehru and Jinnah is brought to life through fresh new colour

archive. Set-piece drama reconstruction recreates some of the mistrust, violence

and upheaval that ensues as Britain, the once great colonial power, looks on as

India burns. Some strong language.

<In continuum>

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  4. Rage

I'm shocked! I thought this video would attract waaaay more responses. I'm interested in getting the pakistani members' view on this video in particular.

Any takers?

This video is a must watch, covering in 90 mins. what might otherwise take a mini-course on the subcontinent: aspirations, zeals, foibles and follies, social interactions, behaviors, heinous designs , emotions and ersatz possibilities.

5. F-14

F-14 Global Defence Moderator Senior Member

Rage for me and many Indians like me who where not even born at the time of the partition or the Day that the "Two" state salution was put in to practice remains an event that could be only seen in documentries like this but then for me atleas it provides the fuel to try to do some thing for our motherland and if possible un do the worngs that the British did to our subcontinent

thanks for the Vdo's mate a grate set of post

6. truthfull

truthfull Regular Member

Great

i hAVE SEEN A VIDEO ON PARTITION IN WHICH A SIKH OLDERMAN SAYS HOW HIS FATHER BEHEADED GIRLS AND WOMEN OF HIS OWN FAMILY.I PRAY TO GOD SUCH THING SHOULD NOT HAPPEN IN FUTURE WITH WOMEN OF ANY RELIGION. BUT THIS HAPPENS ACCORDING TO WISHES OF GOD.sO WE SHOULD BOW OUR HEAD TO GOD.

[mod] Don't type in full caps.It is against forum rules and read them before posting .Please Edit this post [/mod]

7. musalman

musalman پاکستان زنده باد

What kind of Pakistani response you want. It was nothing but madness and it was all british fault.
    Sikh gentleman telling about his father beheading his sister due to honor. We hear the same stories of muslim families in Amritsar and Jallhandar.
    Frankly before joining this forum, i was not very fond of partition but now I think it was necessary but could have been done in very orderly way. Like partition should have been done before independence etc.

8. F-14

Musalman shabb tell me How in the hell was partion a good thing to happen and what order are you talking about it wouldnt have happened if your Qaid-e-Azam and His bunch of cronnies had'nt made all this BS called the Hinduphobia in the hearts of millions of innocent people and added the Fuel to the Fire by His so called "Direct Action " plain and simple your quaid-e-azam is a Criminal and he shall never Get janat for doing what he did the British are already suffering for what they did to us so shall Jhinna for ripping a land that both our forfathers shared and lived on in peace and prosperity and now that we dont like to unify back again Jhinna shall suffer for what he has done

PS if this Post is deedmed a flame mods are at liberty to delete

9. hit&run

hit&run Elite Member Elite Member

My/Your land was divided by cold, stubborn, newly fundamentalist Jinnah who delivered wrong message of noncooperation and divide (by such gestures) with majority of Hindu India for the cause of Purest Islam and thus created distrust between communities which in turn raised that madness.

When people were getting impatient to kick out poms, he was planning partition. When it was time to build a new nation he was developing idiopathic allergy with baharat nationalism for sake of his orthodox Islamic mentality?
    Now when the time came to do things the way we want to promote secular India(which we did and his school of secular Pakistan died many-many many years back) by eradicating religious divide, cast and poverty he absconded away with his piece of land.
    That's the whole story of partition.

10. bengalraider

bengalraider DFI Technocrat Stars and Ambassadors

in a fast food joint next to the imperial shipyard
    Dear F-14 & Musalman,
    Jinnah was only as much a criminal as nehru was, they both wanted one thing and one thing only; Political power.While Jinnah was willing to partition the nation to further his goal of becoming the unquestionable leader of muslims in the sub-continent; nehru was unwilling to give up the seat of power to prevent the above from happening. an old adage in hindi goes"ek haath se taali nahin bajti".Power corrupts and Absolute power corrupts absolutely; both these men wrer equally responsible for the carnage that followed, as leaders they should have been aware , should have planned for any eventuality ' but they did not as they were too busy consolidating their hold on power.Even Pre-partition not all muslim leaders wanted partition as they understood the dangers it would pose quote below, sadly the voices of these david's were silenced as hindu goliath fought muslim goliath and partitioned the nation.
    Even Post -Partition many prominent leaders of pakistan and the former east pakistan have siad that partition was a crime.

11. AkhandBharat

AkhandBharat Regular Member

Ever since the Gupta dynasty's rule ended, India has been in chaos, because of the feudal lords who became kings later on, kept fighting amongst themselves, bringing a complete halt to the scientific and technological advancements in the country. The country then became a feudal organization, where people were divided into strata. This was a big blunder, for which the Indian subcontinent is still paying its price and still is practicing it even though its illegal.

That could have been one of the reasons why people converted to Islam, because they were promised equality in Abrahamic religions and are still converting to Christianity. While, I don't have a problem with people following their faith of choice, I do have a problem with the instigative and radical psychopaths of the minority religion that leads to a complete disarray of law and order in the country. In order for India to be a successful secular country, the country needs to breed a special riot control force/swat teams which can take swift action when its desired. Otherwise, Godhra will be repeated over and again multiple times. Also, you can expect a major backlash from the majority, every time the radical members of the minority commits instigative action and escapes unscathed. Its only logical. To prevent it, swift action needs to be taken to apprehend such instigators and punish them swiftly and strongly.

Back to the topic at hand, the documentary did provide an insight into the partition, but its all known to most of us and has provided nothing exemplary. Clearly, the partition was a mistake, as Pakistan presents a very strong case of a failed state, which laid too much emphasis on its religion, this keeping its people devoid of education and filling them with too much propaganda (which is why most declared islamic nations are in a state of disarray). It will collapse in a decade if not soon, if it continues doing it. India on the other hand has emerged as a promising nation of rich vibrant culture and art, science, free market economy etc (even though it still has a long way to call itself a developed state).

The partition was done hastily by the british (either knowingly because they wanted a civil war in the subcontinent or unknowlingly because they just wanted to get the hell out), leading to deaths of millions from either side. The first hand accounts do assert the history textbooks, but beyond that, I don't think the documentary provides any value addition or insight into the partition.

12. musalman

See that was the reason I think Jinnah was right

13. johnee

johnee Elite Member Elite Member

Partition was good, it took all the scum traitors of India and quarantined them there. So, that India could develop in a modern sense. But someday in future, India has to reclaim its lands and resources...

14. truthfull

truthfull Regular Member

hello
    musalaman sab if we consider everything happens according to wishes of god ,then we all know very well that hindus and muslim represent two differnt nations .People say zinnah divided india,some say nehru but i held muslims solely responsible for indias partition ,here in india you can see muslim having separate thinking about great indian leaders and vice cersa for hindus.i am not a sikh.This pakistan was divided to kill the political islam fully then we leave peacefully.as far as partition of punjab is concerned where guru gobind singh placed his feet that land cames to india and rest gone to pak.in next hundered years you will see sikhism all over india and pakistan.i remeber the words of guru gobind singh in kot kapura that islamic fundamentalism will go away.if we consider hindus and muslim as different nation to show it india and pakistan are different nations ,to create enemity between those two kashmir is the issue created by god,one day pakistan after suffering heavy deaths due to internal fighting and wars they will realize that indians are their real brothers.

15. F-14

musalman shabb can you pls elobrate

16. truthfull

truthfull Regular Member

johnee i strongly support your arguements.

17. musalman

Read and see the amount of hatred in Indians post against us. I am glad we are separate.
    Regarding developed India post of Johnee. We are in bad shape since 2005 but before that we enjoyed alot better standard of living then the Indians. Once the war is gone, i am pretty sure we will be in the better position again.

18. musalman

First of all its Jinnah. I know u hate Muslims thats why u call him Zinnah.
    2nd yes we share the same enthincity but no we are not ur brother. You guys hate. You showed ur hatered in history and you guys are showing it now.
    Regarding Guru Gobind Singh. I am not in the position to reply to his prediction coz in my belive only God knows future no one else.

19. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

They (most of us) weren't even embryos when we were partitioned. It's easy to say that you're glad we were partitioned in 2009, when the mutual hatred that's making you feel glad things are they way they are, was incited, and developed over a period of time. It was the shoddy way in which we were partitioned, and the resulting wars that synthesized this hatred. On the other hand, the partition of Bengal into East and West during the colonial rule wasn't as shoddy. As a result, people of West Bengal and Bangladesh don't necessarily hate each other.

20. ejazr

ejazr Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

The documentary obviously presents a British point of view and can't be expected to objectively discuss the partition.

Even with mayhem that happened, large scale violence and ethnic clensing was limited to the Punjab province and that is why we see a sharp reduction of Hindus from around 40% in Pakistani punjab and similarly a sharp reduction of muslims who formed around 40% of Indian Punjab close to zero. Even during the partition there were hundreds of cases were the people tried to protect their neighbours from ravaging mobs of their co-religionists.

The main reason still remains that the partition was done to preserve British startegic interests in Asia where it had two main concerns
    (1) Threat of Communism in the north
    (2) Protection of Oil fields in the middle east
    Why else would NWFP govt. which had a Congress government be dismissedand made part of "the settlement"?

Communalisation of politics by right wing groups both muslim and hindu as well as some naive policies of Congress leaders (because they were more idealistic than realistic) led to the problem as well. Muslim league by itself had no popular standing among people and even in 1937 had about less than 5% of muslim only vote. In the 1940s muslim and hindu leaders of Congress and other nationalist parties were imprisoned for years while Muslim league and Hindu Mahasbha activists were given a free reign as per the British colonialists policy.

The best book in this regard is Narendra S. Sarila's "In the Shadow of the Great game" which draws a lot of information from declassfied documents of the British Raj including IB reports as well as secret letters between Jinnah and Chruchill prove this point. He himself was ADC to Mountbatten. This book is more accurate on the causes and dynamics of partition as well as British/US policies towards South Asia afterwards.

21. ejazr

ejazr Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Although I don't agree with everythi8ng in this article, this is a good summary of why partition happened and why it wasn't the muslims, least of Indian muslims responsible for the partition and exposes this myth.
    Again reading the decalssified documents is key to understanding the dynamics and going through the cabinet mission plan and transfer of power documents prove this point again and again.

Why India’s Partition?