The one thing that has saved Modi from being a complete flop this year

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by vikas_g, May 14, 2015.

1. vikas_g

vikas_g Regular Member

ANYTHING THAT MOVES
    The one thing that has saved Modi from being a complete flop this year
    Girish Shahane · Yesterday · 09:00 am

[​IMG]
    A year since Narendra Modi assumed power, the Ganga is no cleaner, stashes of black money abroad no closer to being repatriated, and the Ram Temple in Ayodhya no nearer being built. The rupee is sliding against the dollar, belying Sri Sri Ravi Shankar’s conviction that it would strengthen by over 50% under Modi.

Core sector growth has flagged though rejigged methods of calculating GDP have boosted India’s reported economic expansion.

In some cases, the government seems to be not just ignoring last year’s campaign but actively working against it. Where the Bharatiya Janata Party manifesto promised to modernise and upgrade government hospitals, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley hasslashed outlays on health care. The manifesto targeted spending 6% of GDP on education, up from the 3.3% level when the new government took office. Instead, the allocation for education dipped substantially in Jaitley’s budget.

History of obstruction

The government faces resistance within and outside Parliament for its lone innovation: the amended Land Acquisition bill. While condemning disruptions to Parliament, BJP leaders ignore their own history of obstructiveness while in opposition, and their public defence of such tactics.

Was there no progress, then, in Narendra Modi’s first year as Prime Minister? Far from it. Parliament approved a few crucial laws, and ratified a landmark agreement with a neighbouring nation. What stands out in these cases, though, is that they’re all legacies of the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance that were stonewalled for years or rejected outright by the BJP.

Item 1 on the list of U-turns is the Goods and Services Tax, or GST. A tax reform unanimously endorsed by economists, GST was on the UPA legislative agenda for years. Unfortunately, chief ministers of BJP-ruled states obdurately opposed the idea, its most prominent critic being Gujarat’s Narendra Modi.

Item 2: UPA’s Insurance Bill. One of its provisions raised the foreign investment limit in private insurance firms to 49% from 26%. The BJP refused to sign on. Prakash Javadekar, now minister in charge of clearing industrial projects without environmental safeguards, led the campaign against the bill in his role as President of the National Organisation of Insurance Officers. Barely 16 months after Javadekar received support from Sushma Swaraj and Arun Jaitley, the Insurance Laws (Amendment) Bill was passed, in a form indistinguishable from the UPA version.

The Prime Minister has made 16 foreign trips in his first year in office, but the signature foreign policy advance of his term so far, which fructified a week ago, concerned a nation he has yet to visit. I’m referring to Bangladesh and the final settlement of the border between the two nations. As with GST and the Insurance Bill, the BJP was against it before it was for it.

Nuclear deal

Perhaps the mother of all flip-flops relates to the civil nuclear agreement between India and the United States. The BJP fought the agreement tooth and nail, damning it as “an assault on the nuclear sovereignty” of India, and swearing to renegotiate it once in power. The Indo-US nuclear deal was followed by the tabling of the Civil Nuclear Liability bill, which described the form compensation would take in case of a nuclear accident. BJP members condemned the bill as unconstitutional and a violation of the fundamental rights of Indian citizens.

Cut to US President Barack Obama’s visit during the 2015 Republic Day celebrations, and the “breakthrough” in negotiations over the nuclear deal. The breakthrough, it turned out, was that the US got exactly what it wanted, a restriction on the liability of suppliers and nuclear plant operators in case of an accident. I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing, but to argue the case for restricted liability would take me far from the focus of this column.

For those who believe a year is too short a period of time to judge a government’s performance, I have two acronyms for you: NREGA and RTI. Both the National Rural Employment Guarantee Act and the Right to Information Act were introduced in 2004, mere months after the first UPA administration came to power. Those pieces of legislation may divide opinion, certainly NREGA does, but there’s no denying they fundamentally changed how Indian society functions. Despite all his sloganeering, and his comfortable majority in the lower house, Modi hasn’t come close to promoting anything as important. The only thing that’s saved him from being a complete flop is his flip flops.

http://scroll.in/article/727015/the...ved-modi-from-being-a-complete-flop-this-year

SANITY and SREEKAR like this.
  3. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

There is no magic wand or a silver bullet.

It took year for Mao, a ruthless dictator, to shape up China from its lethargic, laid back, opium drenched state.

And in democracy, one is expecting a magic wand?

A Kumar Ketkar type of journalist.

4. anoop_mig25

anoop_mig25 Senior Member Senior Member

Scroll has been supported by outlook

what do u think it would type pro-bjp news

ersakthivel and OneGrimPilgrim like this.
  5. OneGrimPilgrim

OneGrimPilgrim Senior Member Senior Member

whr invaders hv been eulogised, heroes binned!!
    another troll.in article.

the following articles provide a balanced perspective:

http://blogs.economictimes.indiatim...uch-better-place-after-one-year-of-modi-rule/

similar article - http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2015/05/03/one-year-later-india-in-better-shape-under-modi/

another - http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...does-india-inc-think/articleshow/47155459.cms

6. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

The Modi govt has been successful in quite a few front, though they have not got the adequate coverage from the media, especially the English media.

Off hand, I can enumerate some:

1. The two insurance schemes. Not only was it announced but the Bank also sent an SMS.

2. Giving access to all citizen to a bank account. It will encourage people to save.

3. Depositing subsidies direct to the person through his account. A great boon that eliminates fraud and low level village functionaries taking a cut.

4. Attempt to rein in the rumbustious real estate moghuls.

5. Pragmatic environment management balancing the environment and growth.

6. If not as yet the Ganga has been cleaned, at least the ghats are not open air latrines and there is no garbage.

7. The Swach Bharat idea is sinking in, even if slowly. Railway lines in Stations are regularly being washed and the faeces is not there to offend the eye or the nostrils, overfowing garbage vats are not longer the rule. modern garbage compactors are being used as in Calcutta.

7. OneGrimPilgrim

the thread can run a few pages if all of them are enumerated and a little details of each are highlighted. i myself have been keeping a record of minor-major details haphazardly since last year, and have missed many.

perhaps a bit OT, but Ray ji, or anybody else, can you please touch upon these insurance schemes and the JDY, from the perspective of bank professionals? i ask this, because i've read some of these employees complaining about the same; for instance, a friend of mine, a PO in BoI, he's been lamenting the PM for introducing such schemes, not because they're inherently bad, but because his and the employees' gripe according to him is that, on one hand, these govt. banks are suffering losses recurringly, some being termed as NPAs, but on the other hand, the govt. is introducing a barrage of such schemes, putting additional load on them without any accompanying incentives, like, a modest 100/- from the govt. to the bank on each JDY account being opened or any individual taking the advantage of an insurance scheme. his suggestion is that the govt. should incentivise (for lack of a better term) such schemes so that the nationalised banks perform well and give better services.

what's your understanding on this? i have a poor knowledge on such matters, hence even if someone provides links to any pages that give a balanced account of such things, it would be good for me and other members as well.

8. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

The state of the economy which was handed over to the NDA government was absolutely a shocker. It could have been compared to a toxic spill who Mr.Chidambaram laid out for the BJP. Budget figures were fudged, planned expenditure was cut and payouts were deferred to the next year. Core sector projects in Lakhs of Crores were stuck in litigation and the administration was in a state of inertia.

PM Modi has been able to kick start the bureaucratic machinery, projects are being cleared at a steady pace, no hints of corruption are heard of, Foreign affairs is in the forefront, and the Parliament is actually passing bills. We have had one of the most productive Parliament session in years.

As an Industrialist said a year back there were expectations and now there is anticipation.
    For a nation in despair and where negative sentiments were ruling the roost, we have come a long way ahead.

Yes things are looking up and for the better, leaving the critics of PM Modi with a bitter taste in their mouth.

archie, Neil, topgear and 1 other person like this.
  9. Rowdy

Rowdy Co ja kurwa czytam! Senior Member

Dont listen to bankers. They are pisssed because their paperwork is increased due to all the accounts. They also have implementation targets. lol :rofl:

10. Rowdy

the oil price depression was godsend..................................................................

11. OneGrimPilgrim

similar was even my reaction. i said that your bank uncle-'n-aunties have enjoyed a lot sitting on their haunches and playing hadtaal-hadtaal all these years; time for some retribution now. although a bit crude, but perhaps enough to convey popular sentiment.

this is being circulated on social media these days. please do spread such messages. seeing AAPiyas and congressis and bleeding heart liberals and all their fellow-travellers spreading vile propaganda everywhere, i was lamenting some days back that why did BJP disband their social media team after the win. but looks like its not so. have been seeing such messages spread on whatsapp and such since past few days. they carry much-needed info which's obviously missing from the gossip-monger MSM, save for a couple of channels. spreading such info would really help people see what's actually going on, esp. those who had voted for this govt. but are seemingly getting disillusioned now, all thanks to the (mis)coverage by most media outlets and propaganda-poopery by andhabhakts!

12. OneGrimPilgrim

also, another new positive signal - the 'one rank one pension' scheme has been given the clearance; a nod is what it awaits now.

Rowdy likes this.
  13. Hari Sud

Hari Sud Senior Member Senior Member

Lead article is a congress propaganda. People do know, that turning around ten years of misrule of corruption (Commonwealth Games, 2G, Coal Scam etc) by Congress in one year is not possible. All these problems will be fixed but time is precious and it is on NDA side. Congress has to explain its misrule of ten years.

14. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

I'm just back in Hyderabad after 2 years. Just want to reflect what I have observed 2 years ago & now. 2 years ago there was 5hrs power cut every day in Hyderabad & now there is Zero hours power cut. The reason being simple - there is enough power to supply now than before. And this across Telangana even in towns & villages where power cuts were longer than 10 hours. In that sense one must appreciate Modi govt.& especially the power minister Piyush Goyal. He has done swift work to move India towards 24/7 electricity by reducing the power deficit.

laughingbuddha and Hari Sud like this.
  15. Pulkit

Pulkit Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs" Senior Member

Paper work ....
    wao You want to know why they are pissed???
    1)Staff is not sufficient to cope up with this much work. Even today there are a large number of posts open but no one to fill(Deserving candidates are not there).Deserving candidates who join leave for a better option.
    2)There has been no wage revision in UPA time and even what BJP is able to offer is too low.
    3)The risk has increased as the rules for opening a/c have been loosened for these schemes.
    4)There allowances have been cut down.
    5)My maa is a bank emp and I know that she has to work 24X7 because say they have a branch of 4 but resources are 2. So lack of proper manpower.

No banker is crying due to increase in work ,but these schemes are not worth on a contrary it may sound good to people but for banks they are a burden.

Govts have many a times cancelled loans given to farmers / students etc etc all that load comes upon banks which impact the employee as well.

Govt banking system has improved tremendously in last 1 decade and I have seen it happening to I can say the work culture has improved but the mentality of our leaders towards banking staff has remained same ...

OneGrimPilgrim likes this.
  16. Rowdy

All of your problems are banker problems. Let me tell you the big picture. These schemes set the framework for a social safety net .... this kind of safety net is very very important for a productive workforce.
    This is more than just banker wages/woes(which I believe should be solved)
    @OneGrimPilgrim

17. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

@Pulkit some of the points that you have raised are valid. In the past different governments of the day have used the Banks as their personal fiefdom. The last debt waiver by UPA I had put the banks in such dire straits that they have yet to recover.

Towards this the first steps taken by this Government promise Ache Din for the PSU Banks. At the bankers conclave at Pune earlier this year the PM promised lesser interference in the working of the banks and more importantly no interference in the promotions. Also one of the biggest steps that is being worked out is that the salary of the Chairman and other Directors will not be pegged to the Salary of the Jt.Secretary in the Govt. We have a case where the Chairperson of SBI is nearly 1/3rd of the salary of Ms.Chanda Kochar of ICICI Bank. and we all know the size of SBI.

18. Pulkit

These schemes are how good for the nation and people is yet to be proven but One thing is form sure for sure a huge plan you need to have a framework a structure .
    Yes these a bankers problems who are opening all the account giving loans etc etc.
    They are the one who can take these to success or failure.

So it is a big part of this huge plan which cannot be ignored.

Just assume u working on same salary for years... then getting 10% hike....

19. Pulkit

One need to take care of lower management aswell,.....

It is like the example given in three idiots ek zero hata ko ya do zero hata do no problem ek aur hata do problem wala....

salary and expenses and effort being put by a Clerk officer scale one two etc in comparison to the top elite is far more...

Public dealing is the toughest job and that too with less manpower is difficult and at top of it these schemes make life for the bankers hell/////

20. OneGrimPilgrim

my friend was also mentioning a similar thing as what Pulkit has described....an overdue revision/increase in pay but paltry, overburdening the banks but without any incentives, improper or insufficient formalities prior opening a JDY account or such, but too much & discouraging paperwork for say anyone vying to set-up a simple business set-up and seeking a loan, etc., etc.

21. Rowdy

Look guys I am sitting in europe and i can see the difference welfare makes in peoples lives. These schemes are probably the most important schemes implemented by NaMo after defence.