The Nubra Warriors

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

This reconstructed animated movie by the superbly talented Anurag Rana reconstructs the entire attack, pays homage to all air warriors, the men and their machines, of 152 HU - "The Mighty Armour" and 129 HU - "The Nubra Warriors",

Source : Livefist

Last edited by a moderator:

shom

This reconstructed animated movie by the superbly talented Anurag Rana reconstructs the entire attack, pays homage to all air warriors, the men and their machines, of 152 HU - "The Mighty Armour" and 129 HU - "The Nubra Warriors",

Source : Livefist
Brave Indeed,,,,

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Unit Members and families of the 152 Mighty Armours

A pair of armed Mi-17s from No.152 Mighty Armour Helicopter Unit. The unit was very active during the fighting in Kargil (Operation Safedsagar) over the summer of 1999, and lost one helicopter in combat. The two helicopters seen here are armed with 57mm UB-57 rocket pods.

mikhail

Country flag
Unit Members and families of the 152 Mighty Armours

well Kunal sir sorry to ask a stupid question but can these old variants of MI-17 be armed with any anti-armor/air-air missile?i mean i have read somewhere in the internet that both MI-8/MI-17 can deploy AT-2 Swatter 9M 17P Skorpion anti-tank missiles.well actually i am a little confused about the new MI-17V helicopters recently acquired by the IAF,i read it somewhere that it can be armed with Ataka anti-armor missiles.is it true?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
My laptop keyboard is not working so i am unable to do much , I am doing least with mouse hope this is understandable..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
i mean i have read somewhere in the internet that both MI-8/MI-17 can deploy AT-2 Swatter 9M 17P Skorpion anti-tank missiles.,i read it somewhere that it can be armed with Ataka anti-armor missiles.is it true?
:thumb:

mikhail

Country flag
My laptop keyboard is not working so i am unable to do much , I am doing least with mouse hope this is understandable..
sir jee the same happened to me only the difference was the keyboard of my PC was not working:p!
now sir i have recently stumbled upon some interesting facts about the Chetak helicopters of the Amry Aviation wing.
The IAF's helicopter fleet has steadily increased in numbers over the past twenty years, blossoming from a handfull of U.S. types in the '60s to over 500 French, Indian and Soviet built types. The pride of the force is, undoubtedly, the Mi-26 heavy lift helicopter which has been operated by No. 126 H.U. with outstanding results in the mountains of Northern India. The bulk of rotorcraft are Mi-17s and Mi-8s, well over one hundred of these types serving in Helicopter Units throughout the country, playing a vital logistic support role. Mi-8s are operated for commando assault tasks, for ferrying supplies and personnel to remote mountain helipads and jungle clearings, carrying out SAR (Search and Research Operations) and logistic support tasks in the island territories, employed with the Indian permanent station in the Antarctica and so on.

The smaller Alouette III, renamed Chetak, is as ubiquitous, being employed for casevac(Casualty Evacuation), communi- cations and liaison duties with the IAF having received over 150 examples of this versatile rotorcraft.

In 1986, however, the Government of India formally constituted the Army's Aviation Corps and most Chetak and Cheetahs operating in AOP Squadrons were transferred from the Air Force on 1st November 1986. The Air Force continues to fly armed Chetaks in the anti-tank role as well as for CASEVAC and general duties while the lighter Cheetah is operated by (FAC) flights.

In May 1984, No. 125 Helicopter Unit was formed with the formidable Mi-25 gunship helicopter, used to much effect in Sri Lanka. The upgraded Mi 35 has followed in April 1990, with No. 104 HU being reequipped with the type. Future requirements for armed helicopters are planned to be met by the indigenous Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) named DHRUV, developed by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd.
Chetak : Single engine turboshaft, light utility French helicopter with capacity of 6 passengers or 500 kg load. The anti-tank version carries 4 AS-11 wire guided missiles. It has a max speed of 220 km/hr.
Our Strength

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
A sequence of pictures (from top to bottom) shows an Mi-17 chopper approaching Tololing and letting loose a salvo or rockets. These pictures were some of the first pictures of the IAF from the battle front. One of the helicopters was shot down in the same area, the day after these pictures were taken.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
sir jee the same happened to me only the difference was the keyboard of my PC was not working:p!
now sir i have recently stumbled upon some interesting facts about the Chetak helicopters of the Amry Aviation wing.In 1986, however, the Government of India formally constituted the Army's Aviation Corps and most Chetak and Cheetahs operating in AOP Squadrons were transferred from the Air Force on 1st November 1986. The Air Force continues to fly armed Chetaks in the anti-tank role as well as for CASEVAC and general duties while the lighter Cheetah is operated by (FAC) flights.

Our Strength

mikhail

Country flag
so what i read was right,IAF indeed used Chetak in anti-armor role.that means they are still being used in this role by the IAF.sir can you state the no. of chetaks deployed by the IAF for this role(sorry to ask you but i couldn't find any source to confirm the nos. in the internet).

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Hindustan Aeronautics Limited built over 300 units of the helicopter under licence as the HAL Chetak. They were primarily in service with the Indian Armed Forces in training, transport, CASEVAC (Casualty Evacuation), communications and liaison roles.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles