The Indian army is fast losing its morale

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@Ray Sir, I think pay-wise young officers are quite happier now than they were earlier & overall things are improving. From within the Army, there is a lot of +ve vibe to be seen/heard, as compared to what it was like 3-4 years ago. However, this is from the perspective of young officers only, whose concerns may not be all-encompassing.

@Singh Also, this depends on who is doing the talking. There are officers in AD Artillery (& those posted in missile regiments), who have never been posted far from civilization, have never handled or even witnessed any CI Ops, have had no casualty of their known acquaintances. They are the most gung-ho pinky-rosy.

While the ones who are knee-deep in CI, have comrades/informants getting killed routinely, & been stationed in hellholes like Manipur do not share a very rosy picture.

But the majority of young officers appear more satisfied than they were earlier. The grouse against IAS/IPS is subdued but sorely persists.
Pay wise things are good and of that there is no doubt.

The issue is pensions given is not equitable.

@Ray Sir, It is widely believed & I have also heard this from multiple Paramilitary & Intelligence Officers that most (not all) Army Officers (not IAF officers) are extremely rank/hierarchy conscious. Often, they keep looking at shoulders of the opposite person & their responses, or lack of it, are calibrated based on the their relative superiority/junior of the opposite person.

How true is that ?
I wouldn't disagree if I have understood you as far as the Army goes.

But when there is a distinct disparity or a sleight of hand as the IAS does, then it is not only the Army but the complete military which finds it disgustingly sneaky.

Last edited by a moderator:

pkroyal

I never appeared for NDA. My posts are based on feedback from other people who have. @sgarg

Second hand knowledge from third party losers,
Not a very interesting situation !!

Many appear but a few get through to join ( APR - Appearance to Pass Ratio for NDA is 1/500)
At 16 many young boys in the civvy street can barely wipe their fannies clean after the thunderbox drill, it is at this age one makes a decision to serve the Motherland.

You live hard , train hard & fight harder.
For sure no one talks or pontificates on rigours of life /training.
Sense of humour is a given .

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
@sgarg, Army schools are no shortcuts, Rather the concept is being misunderstood here ..

Army look for candidates with specific qualities built in them, These qualities are gained in very early stages mostly in school, Army schools even KVs are very military influenced ( Except Metropolitan ), Children learn about Military way of thinking and working from very beginning and these are implemented via School staff, And hence most of them are selected at latter stages for Military, I can tell you learning in Army school and in Private in Civil are very different experience ..

=================

AMC consist of 60% Bangla origin, Let it be any MH or MI-Room, You will find Bengali officers and Jawans ..

Other arms such as Signals and technical areas where Bangla origin are mostly seen in numbers ..

why Bengalis are under-represented in the Indian Army.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles