The Hindu investigative reporting on Housing bias in major cities

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by ejazr, Jul 9, 2012.

1. ejazr

ejazr Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

The Hindu published a series of reports on housing bias in metro cities in this Sundays' special

Chennai

Bangalore

Mumbai
    and Delhi

and a story about London as well
    The Hindu : News / National : Ghetto? What ghetto? We’re British 

Oracle and Singh like this.
  3. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Some minority appeasement this ?
    Terribly shocking. The situation is pretty grim, basically we are forcing muslims into ghettoisation and then blame them for ghettoisation.

Oracle likes this.
  4. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

There is no easy solution for this. Slowly brick by brick the old prejudices will have to be taken down.

The vegetarian/non veg angle I can understand. My parents were pure vegetarians and in the flat above we had a bengali family. Sometimes , when the kitchen drain would have some blockage our entire kitchen would stink with smell of the fish, making it very uncomfortable for my mother.

Galaxy, maomao and KS like this.
  5. TheLord

TheLord Regular Member

How is this anti-muslim? The issue is food habit, the vegetarians don't want the smell of meat in their house or in their neighbourhood. And this is about the rented house only and no one if forcing a non-vegetarian from his own house.

This is not restricted to food habits, the bachelors are unwanted because, they bring their friends and party in the night. Some people won't rent their house to single women, divorced or widow, as they may bring some problem in future.

6. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Nothing surprising.

It is historical or else how did the adage come about eons ago - Birds of a Feather, Flock Together!

When I was in Malaysia and was in a first floor apartment, a British lady living on the 10th Floor barged in complaining of 'horrid Indian food smell offending her nostrils' and that we should shift to English and Continental food or she would complain to the management.

I told her to hop!

In Kolkata, I know of a Gujarati Housing which do not accept non vegetarians and who have pets and you can do nothing about it!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
    parijataka and maomao like this.
  7. ani82v

ani82v Senior Member Senior Member

So what should be done? Should the vegetarians learn to get used to non-veg smell? I also don't understand, how these veggie Hindus react to non-veggie Hindus?

8. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

Anti-muslim ? I think you did not read the articles. It's anti-non veg prejudice and in other cases anti-caste prejudice. Yeah there are Hindus too who eat non-veg and who face this 'refusal of flats'.

When I first went to Mumbai, I was refused flat by four land-lords for the only reason I consumed non-veg and that too I'm not a hard-core NV lover and hardly eat it twice or thrice a week. And I'm one who does not eat beef. Consider the plight of those who consume beef.

Please tone down the 'shrillness' of the rhetoric.

Same reaction - Idhar flat nai milega. I faced it.

9. Ray

I don't think religion per se has anything to do with it.

It is just the affinity that prompts selection!

Social affinity is generally a cohesion or appeal to ideas, ideals and causes shared by a community of people.

For instance, why is Durga Puja celebrated in outlandish places?

Not because the people are overpowered by religion but by a community congregation spirit and to know who is where.

In the US, they celebrate Durga Puja by Bengalis not as per the auspicious dates, but when it is a weekend!

Hardly in line with religion!

Next to my house we have a huge four storied building, owned by a Bengali, that only has people of the NE and Bhutanese.

Why so?

Afflinity in an alien crowd!

To be it bluntly, similarity in features and alieness in a different majority community and not driven by religion since they are Christians and Buddhists as also Hindus!

Religion is over used in this unfortunate country.

Because religion and caste, in this pathetically confused country. has become a convenient political and social tool to squeeze in sympathy and undue privileges, perks and sops!

Singh likes this.
  10. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

I will never ever rent my house to anyone who eats beef, Hindu or Muslim.

Although, I am a Non-Vegetarian and in past i was denied few flats by Hindu family just because of that reason.

Many Hindus are vegetarian. No, It's not Brahmin but a large section of OBC Gujarati, Baniyas, Marwadis, Punjabi Hindus, Lingayat in Karnataka. Many SC are also vegetarian. Even most of the Jains and even some Sikhs are also vegetarian. List is too long.

Many people don't prefer renting their house to NON-Vegetarian. It may be more true for Muslims that is because of different way of life and beef-eating. Most of the UC Marathi Hindus are not able to find houses in OBC dominating Gujarati, Marwadi and Jain dominated Mumbai colonies.

Many don't prefer anyone who are bachelor (male or female), some profession (like night-shift or Police, Lawyer, etc.). In Bihar, most of the OBC don't rent their house to Bhumihar, UC because they are too aggressive and don't vacant the house when owner says so. In Rajasthan, Jat or Rajput prefer Meena, SC/ST who are quite par with society rather Gujjars or Yadav. I can go on and on.

Many Muslims also don't give their houses to Hindu families.

2 bed flat..only tamil Muslims.
    2 bhk house for rent (practising muslim only) - Bangalore - Houses - Apartments for Rent - muslim rented house
    2 bedroom flat in big street triplicane area near small mosque (only for tamil muslim) - Chennai - Houses - Apartments for Rent - Triplicane - flats at triplicane

When reason changes from person to person, What religion has to do with it ?

parijataka and KS like this.
  11. Ray

I will never rent my house since it will be damned difficult to get rid of the tenant thereafter. :rofl:

12. Ray

Banks don't give loans to politicians, retired persons or people from shady localities.

Discrimination without any religion involved!

Will being a Muslim in those categories mean discrimination because of religion?

No sir, we overwork this religion handle a wee bit too much.

13. Galaxy

One more point i would like to add.

Most of the posh colonies in Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore are quite expensive. Average Middle-class family can't even dream for that.

How many Muslim families can afford 2 BHK worth 20,000/Month in semi posh colonies in Delhi ? This is conservative price. It can go to even 50k in many colonies across Delhi.

Also, Muslims prefer living in those areas where there is Mosque (As Yusuf told me once). How is it possible to build mosque in South Delhi where 90%-95% are Hindus and land would not cost less than 30 crores minimum. ? Is it possible for them to cover at least 10 KM every time they want to go Mosque?

In prime sectors of Noida and Gurgaon, you will hardly find any mosque. Not because of price and availability but Muslims are hardly 5%. This is one of the reason why they prefer traditional Muslim colonies like Ballimaran, Zakira Bagh, Seelampur, Dilshad garden, Okhla, Darya Gung (near Jama Maszid), etc. Many Hindus are also living in these areas. Muslims are like 40%-60%. No, SC Hindus are not majority among Hindus in these areas. NONE are SC reserved seat. In Chandni Chowk near Dariya gunj, Ballimaran, Old rly station, Most of the Hindu families are UC Baniyas.

All false accusation with no connection to ground reality ?

14. afako

afako Regular Member

In Mumbai, First People have to understand the Mentality of People of Mumbai. Mumbai has the Most Deaths from Islamic Terrorism after New York in the World. Not only that prior to 1993, all the Underworld Gangsters from the 70s and the 80s were Majority Muslims who ran their activities from the Muslim Majority Areas like Nagpada, Mahim where Bombay Police had a Tough time cracking on such people because of the Support of the Muslims. The 1992 Riots were started by Muslims and they Victims were Hindus, Christians and Sikhs who lived in Muslim Majority Areas like Deonar, Pathanwadi, Dharavi, Sewri,(Lower Class) were attacked by Muslims surrounding them and Bombay Police was Blocked by Muslims blocking their Way.

The 1993 Bombings, Small Bombs like Mulund, Ghatkopar, Vile Parle(Read again with the article). 2006 Train Blasts(Middle Class), 26/11(Upper Class)

If you Notice Every Part of Bombay has been a Victim of Islamism from the Town, the Western suburbs and the Eastern Suburbs and all Classes of People from Lower to Upper for Decades!

Why are you not Suprised with the article?

Even one such Munnah happened to be from Mahim:

World's 3rd Most Wanted Fugitive:

3) Dawood Ibrahim, Indian leader of D-Company

The World's 10 Most Wanted - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why blame Hindus? What is the Probability of a Non-Muslim getting a House in Jogheswari, Nagpada, Mahim, Mohammad Ali Road, Cotton Green, Sewri or a Mazagon?

Pydhonie is the Last frontier for the Non-Muslims upto MDL.

Muslims are by nature Ghettosized Community. Every City throughout the Length and Breadth of the Country has something called 'Muslim Areas'.

15. Ray

Not a problem.

Muslims are not all that poor as the Govt wishes all to believe.

The largest mosque was being built in London for the London Olympics but then someone put a spanner in the works!

Galaxy likes this.
  16. ashdoc

ashdoc Senior Member Senior Member

will the hindu also write about hindus being not allowed in some parts of kashmir ??

oh , i forgot its not ' secular ' to talk about that......:p

panduranghari likes this.
  17. rock127

rock127 Maulana Rockullah Senior Member

Ok so now a person/family who wants a specific code to be followed in his own property would be forced not to do it?

This is now termed as "bias" by "Secular forces" ?

parijataka and maomao like this.
  18. Ray

Every Englishman's home is his castle!

And so is mine!

19. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Living in Delhi, I have observed that no one wants to rent their house to muslims. Non veg/veg might be a big issue in rest of Indian, but they being muslims is an issue as well. I am yet to be convinced of otherwise.

Galaxy the areas you described in Delhi are muslim ghettos, and the rent in some of them is very high, and not at all commiserate with the status of those colonies. It is because muslims can't find any other place and are forced to settle there and landlords exploit it.

Muslims form 10% of Delhi's population, I hardly see 0.1% muslim residents in most middle class and up colonies all over Delhi.

20. afako

afako Regular Member

World Observation calls that this issue can be Generalized. I have observed the same all over the country.

21. Galaxy

Sir, few years back when i was in lucknow, One of my friend was looking for a 2BHK flat in some decent colony. Few of the Hindu families denied by saying "NO Flat to Rajput, Kurmi, Jat, Gujjar and Yadav". He was Kurmi. Reason you know :)