The Greatest Kings in Indian History

Who is the Greatest King in Indian History?

• Chandragupta Maurya

Votes: 115 33.7%
  • Ashoka

Votes: 45 13.2%
  • Raja Chola

Votes: 34 10.0%
  • Akbar

Votes: 16 4.7%
  • Sri Krishna Devaraya

Votes: 18 5.3%
  • Chatrapati Shivaji

Votes: 58 17.0%
  • Tipu Sultan

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • Ranjith Singh

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • Samudra Gupta

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • Chandragupta Vikramaditya

Votes: 20 5.9%
  • Harsha

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Kanishka

Votes: 4 1.2%

• Total voters

LordOfTheUnderworlds

Country flag
In such a large country, over such a long period, there would be innumerable kings. We can chose any as favourite depending on our taste and out tribe.

But for modern Indian nation, the ones I find important ones, who give identity, sense of continuity and moral legitimacy to Indian republic as a single political unit are:

Ancient times : Chandragupta Maurya and Ashok expanded the Nanda empire to almost pan-India empire. Even modern Indian republic uses it's symbols. And of course Ashoka is one of the superstars for India's soft power in rest of the world.

Mythical era : King Bharat. Whoever it was. Whether real or not, but very important character that allows us to claim and fantasize about India as the most ancient nation since eternity.

The kings that ruled south east asia/ spread Indian culture there. I am not sure whom I should name. Rajraja Chola is it?

Modern era: Chhatrapati Shivaji. Who is founder of modern India that exists today. :india:

Last edited:

LordOfTheUnderworlds

Country flag
Err...... shall I add Rothschilds too in the list ? :confused: But they didn't formally get anointed as king, and enjoyed power without accountability, through proxy British throne. So that's complicated.

Last edited:

Ancient Indian

p = np :)
I grew up recently and learnt some more.

It is very difficult to understand our country through physical means.

Last edited:

SANITY

Someone define greatness. If one has to choose a great king, one must be sure what does great means because the word "great" has many meanings such as big, important, very good, large etc.

Set some criteria to vote for greatness of kings.

Humans on Earth aren't invaders.

Tamil Soldier

The bias in me says Raja Raja or Rajendra Chola. No Indian kingdom ever conducted raids and conquest of external lands the way we did. Chola Tamils were the true expansionists of Indian history.

Objectively speaking, Shivaji Bhosle would have to qualify. Brilliant tactician and warrior. He laid the foundations for the Maratha samurais to eventually liberate India of the Mughal empire and destroy Muslim rule decisively.

bearcrawl

It is difficult to make comparison among these great Indian kings, but personally I like the Great Maratha warrior Shivaji. He was not only one of the greatest warriors of his time but also known as a High Protector of the Maratha Empire

sara Bouanani

Maharana Pratap is great king of history.He was a Hindu Rajput ruler of Mewar, a region in north-western India in the present day state of Rajasthan. Maharana Pratap opposed the Mughals, particularly Emperor Akbar. Maharana Pratap won back most of his territory except his cherished Chittor.

humbleraja

Wow, took a long time to read through all of your opinions on greatest King of India. I think all of you would be interested in this project: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/574241520/kings-of-india-playing-cards

A new look at the greatest of India's dynasties through illustrated playing cards. Now, considering this deck of playing cards takes the dynasty into consideration, there had to be more than 1 great King. The successors of these Kings were given the role of the 'Jack' card, sometimes being even more successful than their predecessor. Their 'greatness' was based on their military, economic and cultural achievements.

The featured dynasties, which seem to agree with a lot of your comments on DFI are:
Maurya (King: Chandragupta Maurya, Jack: Ashoka the Great)
Gupta (King: Samudragupta, Jack: Chandragupta II Vikramaditya)
Chola (King: Rajaraja Chola I, Jack: Rajendra Chola I)
Mughal (King: Akbar the Great, Jack: Shah Jahan)

Please check out this project to help it get funded, and in return you will be the first to get a part of India's greatest all packaged into a beautifully illustrated deck of cards.

Attachments

cannonfodder

Country flag
Voted for "Janata raja Shivaji Maharaj" and concept of swaraj.... :india:
Swaraj - self rule.

Someone's post actually used word "ricksha wala" describing him...:bs:

srsums@gmail

ALL monarchs in the Indian context none had a vision for the future.In that context gandhiji,patel and ambedkar were great individuals
Probably you don't know history,,, u need to study about Chandragupta,shivaji and others for that matter...

asingh10

Where is the option for King Pappu ? Come 2019, he might become our own Constantine.

Dreamhunter

Country flag
Many kings were left out in this list.
I wonder why Emperor Amoghavarsha of the Rashtrakuta Empire was not mentioned.
He was more tolerant towards other religions than Akbar. He respected all religions and even allowed the construction of mosques in his cities despite of the fact that Muslims were a small minority in India at that time. The Empire of Amoghavarsha was described by foreign travelers like the Arabs as one of the 4 great Empires of the world.
And unlike Akbar Amoghavarsha dominated the major part of India in the 9th century as his Empire stretched from Kannauj in northern India to the borders of Tamil Nadu in southern India. On the other hand Akbar only ruled northern India. It is disgraceful that a great Emperor like Amoghavarsha was not mentioned in this list while Akbar is celebrated for no reason

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Rastra Kutas one of the powerful empires of India and as usual History ignored them along with Satavahanas and Cholas.

Many kings were left out in this list.
I wonder why Emperor Amoghavarsha of the Rashtrakuta Empire was not mentioned.
He was more tolerant towards other religions than Akbar. He respected all religions and even allowed the construction of mosques in his cities despite of the fact that Muslims were a small minority in India at that time. The Empire of Amoghavarsha was described by foreign travelers like the Arabs as one of the 4 great Empires of the world.
And unlike Akbar Amoghavarsha dominated the major part of India in the 9th century as his Empire stretched from Kannauj in northern India to the borders of Tamil Nadu in southern India. On the other hand Akbar only ruled northern India. It is disgraceful that a great Emperor like Amoghavarsha was not mentioned in this list while Akbar is celebrated for no reason

Kharavela

Country flag
Can anyone shut this fucking annoying thread.this is like discussing which pile of poo is gold.All monarchs in the Indian context are crap.The greatest individuals are those who give a golden future and more cards to play and they also must provide a golden platform and atmosphere for future leaders to grow.Only the "Mahatma" did that none else.Ambedkar and Patel also did that.Nehru also helped democracy to take root

India's golden age started from 1947 not some imaginary past
You have justified your handle name "IamanIdiot" through your post. Before jotting down such marvellous lines of equating Mohandas "British Agent" Gandhi with above mentioned Emperors, please do some genuine research. Reading boot-licking historians & believing them is not good for mental health.

The greatness of those Emperors can be judged by a simple fact:
We are remembering & discussing in reverence about their deeds after 2000 or so years. Who the f**k do you think will in awe of Gandhi even after 100 years since now ? Specially after #Netaji files de-classification people will come to know truth.

If your sole criteria is "Platform for Future", let me tell you, Chola Dynasty ruled for more than 1000 years. During their rule, almost entire East Asia was under their influence. In the timeline of history, 67 years is very minuscule.

Kharavela

Country flag
Mythical era : King Bharat. Whoever it was. Whether real or not, but very important character that allows us to claim and fantasize about India as the most ancient nation since eternity.
I concur with your opinion, with a request: Please change "Mythical Era" to any other suitable name. Because Suryavanshi Kings were not myths. Entire ancestry of Suryavansh is available.

The kings that ruled south east asia/ spread Indian culture there. I am not sure whom I should name. Rajraja Chola is it?
Yes, it was Raja Raja Chola.

Modern era: Chhatrapati Shivaji. Who is founder of modern India that exists today. :india:
Without hesitation or second thought, I agree with your proposition that Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj is the liberator & founder of modern Bharat.

In such a large country, over such a long period, there would be innumerable kings. We can chose any as favourite depending on our taste and out tribe.

But for modern Indian nation, the ones I find important ones, who give identity, sense of continuity and moral legitimacy to Indian republic as a single political unit are:
Perfectly said, mate.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles