The great Maggi con job: How their ads have been fooling you for years

Would you still continue to eat Maggi Noodles/ any instant noodles after this health scare?

• Total voters

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag

Ancient Indian

p = np :)
so ragi it was! ragi balls and other dishes i think form a part of the staple diet of the people from rural K'taka, esp. among the less privileged.
All south Indians eat ragi related foods.
Where are you from btw ?
I think what we are talking about is the same. But again, it is not any more good for health than Rice
Come on. . . . .If you brand every food item, we will have no food left to us in the end.

Nothing is perfect.

Best solution for it will be flushing the bad things in our body out for once in two months.

People who do real yoga do that. They take special diet and BAM. The magic.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Where are you from btw ?

Come on. . . . .If you brand every food item, we will have no food left to us in the end.

Nothing is perfect.

Best solution for it will be flushing the bad things in our body out for once in two months.

What are you talking about? I dint brand anything. The food you have shown is tasty and so I like eating it for its taste. On the other hand, both Rice and that are the same wrt Health. And how is that branding it bad? Rice IS good for you. Who said rice is bad for health? We need carbohydrates for our daily activities

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
Where are you from btw ?

Nothing is perfect.

yes; but i esp. remember it having reading about it in Kenneth Anderson's books and watching a couple of shows, hence the post. we also eat ragi mixed in our wheat flour. i am from Maharashtra. ragi is called 'naachani' here.

Ancient Indian

What are you talking about? I dint brand anything. The food you have shown is tasty and so I like eating it for its taste. On the other hand, both Rice and that are the same wrt Health. And how is that branding it bad? Rice IS good for you. Who said rice is bad for health? We need carbohydrates for our daily activities
Sorry then,
I didn't read your previous post. I thought you are discussing the bad foods.

Ancient Indian

yes; but i esp. remember it having reading about it in Kenneth Anderson's books and watching a couple of shows. we also eat ragi mixed in our wheat flour. i am from Maharashtra. ragi is called 'naachani' here.
You mean roti ?

You can eat ragi related food directly. . . .

I used to mix sugar with flour and consume it. It was one of those food adventures.

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
You mean roti ?

You can eat ragi related food directly. . . .

I used to mix sugar with flour and consume it. It was one of those food adventures.
yes, in roti. the flour is a mix of multiple grains (non-readymade).

try ragi balls if you haven't. Ken Anderson 'complained' in his book about the bland taste of ragi balls that he had to subsist on during some of his hunts; the rural Kannada folk sometimes accompanying him had no qualms in eating them as it is, but Ken had to keep a tea/coffee flask with him in order to aid gulping down the ragi balls. :D

Ancient Indian

try ragi balls if you haven't. Ken Anderson 'complained' in his book about the bland taste of ragi balls that he had to subsist on during some of his hunts; the rural Kannada folk sometimes accompanying him had no qualms in eating them as it is, but Ken had to keep a tea/coffee flask with him in order to aid gulping down the ragi balls. :D
Everything is bland until you add some thing to it.

You know the custom. In rural areas, they worship nature. They offer ragi balls to the nature in crop season.

They usually taste sweet.

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
Everything is bland until you add some thing to it.

You know the custom. In rural areas, they worship nature. They offer ragi balls to the nature in crop season.

They usually taste sweet.
okay; didn't know that. have never tasted it as it is.

Rashna

Country flag
Maggi row: Food regulator widens probe, orders testing of more noodle brands

NEW DELHI: Bringing more food products under its scanner, the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) on Monday ordered testing of various noodles, pasta and macaroni brands, including Top Ramen, Foodles and Wai Wai, manufactured by seven companies to check compliance of norms in the wake of Maggi controversy.

The food regulator had recently banned all variants of Nestle India's Maggi noodles, terming them as "unsafe and hazardous" for human consumption.

"Various test results on Maggi and some other similar products have raised serious health concerns. In view of the same, it would be advisable to draw regulatory samples for similar products for which product approvals have been granted by the FSSAI...These samples should be sent to the authorised labs for testing," FSSAI CEO YS Malik said in letter to commissioners of food safety in all states and UTs.

As per FSSAI order, the companies whose products have been listed for testing are Nestle India, ITC, Indo Nissin Food Ltd, GSK Consumer Healthcare, CG Foods India, Ruchi International and AA Nutrition Ltd.

The regulator has ordered the testing of products registered with it.

The products include Wai Wai noodles and bhujiya chicken snacks by CG Foods; Koka instant noodles from Ruchi International, Foodles by GSK Consumer Healthcare and Nestle's Maggi instant noodles with nine variants.

Others in the list are Indo Nissin's Top Ramen Atta Masala, ITC's three variants of instant noodles and Yummy chicken and vegetarian noodles of AA Nutrition.

When contacted CG Foods CEO GP Sah said: "Our brands meets all regulatory standards as listed by Food Safety and Standard Authority of India. We are not closed to any tests and will cooperate with authorities if required."

Comments from other companies could not be obtained immediately.

The development comes after the Indian unit of the Swiss multinational recalled Maggi from the markets after several states banned the famous '2-minute' instant food brand as tests showed them containing taste enhancer MSG (Mono Sodium Glutamate) and lead in excess of the permissible limits.

(With inputs from agencies)

Illusive

Country flag
Again you are missing the context of what I said. We cant go around banning firms just to scare big firms.

And did you read the report? The maggi noodles after preparation into food actually had the lead levels well within the permissible level as set by the government. No one is going to eat the taste maker(which in essense is a very concentrated masala and hence will bound to have high concentration of elements) alone and so pointing it to say that it does not fall within the permissible level is retarded.

For an analogy - lets say govt tomorrow decides to set a similar analogy for "how much chilli" Food item should have. So if the tastemaker , which is the concentrated masala essense, WILL have a high chilli quotient and will be eligible for the ban. But if the tastemaker does comply with such a rule, then when noodles are prepared, the chilli content will be very low and it will taste awefull

Another line of reasoning on why this is retarded - lets say the same amount of lead is present in the noodles proper and not in the tastemaker - Now given the data, the noodles' lead content will be well within the permissible levels as stipulated by the Govt and so the govt will have no legal ground whatsoever for the ban! Si tell me, what difference does it make in this scenerio, considering that the total amount of lead we take in the end will be the same be it concentrated in tastemaker (as is the case now) or be it diluted in the noodles(which wont be eligible for ban by present standard anyway) ?

@jackprince
Well first of all only the maggie noodle would be banned not nestle. And its not about scaring, its about maintaining standards and the firms adhering to these standards. The scare for firms is not the law but the bad publicity and consumer confidence.
All samples give different results, some pass the test while others don't.Karnataka hasn't banned it yet.
The scenario you are telling has not happened. I agree with your assessment though which should be amended, but the thing here is why the lead in the first place, why are the manufacturers not careful. This is the question which consumers ask.

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
lead may've entered the masala (or whatever that is) via the raw materials used, which in turn may've gotten it through soil/water; hence the varied levels across states (in the test-reports).

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Well first of all only the maggie noodle would be banned not nestle. And its not about scaring, its about maintaining standards and the firms adhering to these standards. The scare for firms is not the law but the bad publicity and consumer confidence.
All samples give different results, some pass the test while others don't.Karnataka hasn't banned it yet.
The scenario you are telling has not happened. I agree with your assessment though which should be amended, but the thing here is why the lead in the first place, why are the manufacturers not careful. This is the question which consumers ask.
That's why I asked did you read the report .. the report says that tests indicated high lead content in the taste maker and that's why it was banned. Nestle's defence was that tastemaker is concentrated and that's why we have it tested high but when if it used for actual noodles , the lead content will come down below the set standards.
that's why I gave my alternate scenerio where the same amount of lead is present in noodles in stead of tastemaker. Noodles being larger would have meant lead content being under the permissible level. So in one case the same lead content is eligible for ban while on the other it is not.

That's why I said this decision is retarded.

Regarding why lead is high- lead just like many other trace elements are present in all the food we consume- from water to veggies. Only constant consumption beyond a certain level is injurious to health.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Also note that the ban is very arbitrary and many states have banned it to avoid having to explain why it is safe to the common people. I am guessing hefty bribe will be taken too to reallow it. This is how corruption works people. Seriously don't give into paranoia and support these useless decisions

TejasMK3

Country flag

Strange complaint, it's like eating plain bread/rice and saying "this is bland".

My fav way of eating Koozh->Ghee,Jaggery/Sugar :). Or sometimes during summer, just mix it in with buttermilk. It's a base with flavour that you can eat with something else.

Rashna

Country flag
No decision is retarded..... Nestle CEO admitted that though MSG is not added, it is naturally present in their product.... So printing the words "Contains no MSG", is totally misleading. Some people are allergic to MSG and making a counter claim makes NESTLE guilty of cover up.
We Will Remove 'No MSG' from the Maggi Noodles Label: Nestle's Global CEO
NDTV Food, Modified: June 06, 2015 14:51 IST

At a press conference held in the capital, Nestle CEO Paul Bulcke addressed the media and declared that Maggi noodles are ‘safe for consumption and we have the same quality standards everywhere in the world.’

He further clarified that they do no use MSG (monosodium glutamate) for which the product label says "No added MSG" and the product has naturally occurring glutamate which comes from the hydrolyzed groundnut protein, onion powder and wheat flour. He added that they will remove 'No MSG' from the product label so that there is no confusion.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
glutamic acid is one of the twenty amino acids present in our proteins. Mono sodium glutamate is just a salt of that amino acid. Tomorrow these morons will ban dihydrogen monoxide from use if given good scare :laugh:

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
Nestle's defence was that tastemaker is concentrated and that's why we have it tested high but when if it used for actual noodles , the lead content will come down below the set standards.
Thats retarded ..... a lot of people (incl. kids. ) sometimes eat a little Tastemaker as it is .... another common practice is to sprinkle a small amount of tastemaker after the noodles are cooked. I loved to do this ....
@Rashna - me thinks you are like that too ;)

Global Defence

New threads

Articles