The great Maggi con job: How their ads have been fooling you for years

Would you still continue to eat Maggi Noodles/ any instant noodles after this health scare?

• Total voters

aliyah

1)content of lead is due to water n msg due to soil e.g soil grown crops likes onion, ginger, garlic etc......test tap water of city where plant is.....lead lvl will break all records
so results will vary from city to city
2)this whole campaign is sponsored by ITC
chq all product's in same categories.....all will fail....but whole thing focused on only 1 product.......maggi....highest selling noodle brand in india and a product which contribute 25% of nestle india revenue

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
1)content of lead is due to water n msg due to soil e.g soil grown crops likes onion, ginger, garlic etc......test tap water of city where plant is.....lead lvl will break all records
chq all product's in same categories.....all will fail....but whole thing focused on only 1 product.......maggi....highest selling noodle brand in india and a product which contribute 25% of nestle india revenue

So I was not the only one who thought this was a hitjob? :biggrin2:

Anyway, any links for your claim dude?

Rashna

Country flag
Actually he doesn't learn.. lol. He has survived here by arm twisting and calling others stupid, but he got busted today well and truly.... Now its no use if he brings wikipedia info and tries to redeem his ignorance. Gawd i can't believe he is a doctor............. Even quacks know better. lolz

Dude, give up. You lost this argument to @Rashna, she has schooled you. Don't embarrass yourself further.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Actually he doesn't learn.. lol. He has survived here by arm twisting and calling others stupid, but he got busted today well and truly.... Now its no use if he brings wikipedia info and tries to redeem his ignorance. Gawd i can't believe he is a doctor............. Even quacks know better. lolz
Awww. How cute. Two retards sucking up to each other

pmaitra

:( Maggi was only food item which I could prepare with out any help while alone at home. ..
Didn't you know that the easier food to prepare is an omelette?
Now that that is done, let me give you another example of BS marketing- cholesterol free sunflower oil
I know right? Also, whatever was that cooking oil with the picture of a heart? People have lived on mustard oil for centuries. What changed all of a sudden? I am talking about my childhood days.
Kids are brainwashed by these celebs who would sell themselves for anything.

Kids are Kids and would eat these crap and their Parents should know what to do.

These food are not healthy and can never replace simply home food.But today parents have no time to do cooking for their kids and look for a easy way to feed the kids.
Home food is also pretty unhealthy. If you look at Indian food, we tend to dump a lot of oil in whatever we eat. This is not at all good.
I

There you go!!! Your wisdom drowned with the load of lead it consumed.

And you definitely suspect wrong. I hardly ever had maggi. My mother always made noodles from local rice noodles which were delicious and maggi could never compete with it.
That is a clever comment.

Rashna

Country flag
Well some people have issues. Behavioral issues are a dead give away of psyche. It's easy to decode uncouth uncivilized aggressive egoistic people. It's simple psychology. Moreover this species is aided by some submissive slaves which leaves these braggards feeling high. When they meet someone with a spine they react badly..... Now are you surprised about the signature?

To know @Mad Indian's class, all you have to do is see his signature. But I am sure in real life he is quite meek and submissive.:rofl:

pmaitra

Ok, cut it out. Enough of this rabble rousing.

If you have nothing to comment on the topic, keep out.

Rashna

Country flag
Centre pulls plug on Maggi in first recall of food item in India

The Maggi imbroglio escalated to an unprecedented level on Friday, with India's food regulator ordering a total recall of all nine variants of the best-selling instant noodles brand. This is the first ever recall of a popular food product in India.

The dispute has placed the processed food industry, regulators, government, and even consumers in uncharted territory.

The Food Standards and Safety Authority of India (FSSAI) which is entrusted with ensuring that all food in India is safe, issued an eight-page statement pointing out three "major" violations by Nestle, and kept options open for prosecution on these counts under the Food Safety and Standards Act 2006.

The violations are — presence of lead in the product in excess of the maximum permissible levels of 2.5 parts per million (ppm), misleading consumers by printing "No added MSG" on the Maggi packets and release of Maggi Oats Masala Noodles without risk assessment and grant of product approval.

Simultaneously, Maggi producer Nestle India, which controls over 60% of the instant noodles market in the country, announced a Maggi withdrawal from the shelves "despite it being safe" and only because of "unfounded concerns" and "an environment of confusion for the consumer".

A high level Nestle delegation, led by its global CEO, met FSSAI officials at their Delhi headquarters on Thursday and disputed the claims about lead being found in the product, the MSG content and the Maggi oats noodles issue. The FSSAI rebutted each of these arguments in detail.

According to Nestle, Maggi noodles packs contain a tastemaker sachet and the noodles cake. Both parts put together should be tested for lead levels, not separately. FSSAI has rejected this and said that they will test the product as it is sold — in two parts — not as it is processed by the consumer.

"Standards have to be applied in respect of each of these two components independently and have no linkage with the processing of the end product as it is consumed", it said.

Experts believe this is a grey zone with no clear law. A higher lead content of the tastemaker will get diluted and fall below the permitted level when mixed with the noodles cake. But the FSSAI argued that consumers are going to add water while making Maggi so should they start taking the water also into consideration?

Giving details of lead tests from various states, FSSAI said that in Delhi, Gujarat and Tamil Nadu, lead levels were found to be higher than that permissible. It said that Nestle had claimed in 2012 that lead levels were just 0.0153ppm in its noodles. Now tests were indicating levels as high as 17.2ppm which is dangerously high. The FSSAI also said that reports from certain other states were not in the desired format and hence they had been sent back for clarification.

Dismissing Nestle's claim regarding the advisory "No added MSG" printed on Maggi packs, the FSSAI said that rules require that no additional information than required by law should be given on packages so that consumers are not confused. It quoted from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) document saying that many food items contain glutamate in natural form (like cereals) and it is not correct to declare that there is no added MSG when such products are being added. This, according to FSSAI, is misleading the consumers.

Noodle trap: 'Just tip of the iceberg'

On the Maggi oats noodles issue, the FSSAI strongly came down on Nestle, saying that they launched a new product without going through the due process of risk assessment and approval, violating the law.

So, what happens now? The FSSAI has called upon Nestle to "re-ascertain the safety of its products" as per the law. It has also told Nestle to show cause within 15 days as to why permission to produce Maggi noodles should not be withdrawn. Nestle has been asked to report to the FSSAI on a daily basis, the withdrawal of Maggi from India.

As indicated by the regulator, food safety commissioners in states are free to launch prosecutions against Nestle for violation of the law on various counts. So, Nestle appears to be heading for a tough time in the coming days.

Blackwater

Poor memory of poor people 2 weeks tak everything will be cool down , media will be back after karena or katrina legs and boobs, Maggie will back on selfes, minister and govt official will be paid crores by nestle

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
@Mad Indian

I am not a doctor, however I understand the basic fact that Sugar which is basically Sucrose - a simple form of Carbohydrate gives up instant calorie and thus increase sugar-level in blood much fast, is worse than any complex carbohydrate like fructose or other. Hence, the people with Blood Sugar problem are at risk from consumption of sugar, as instead of delayed and gradual release of gluose in blood, it increases it faster and compromises the person's health. The calorie of sugar is not alone the problem here. Even, honey which has more caloric measure vis-a-vis sugar, is considered good for some sugar patients because of its complex compound and slow glucose release.

Yes, it is article learned knowledge. However, I have never ever read a single article or anybody say as you are saying, against avoiding sugar for blood sugar patient.

My father being a sugar patient, I would seriously like to know the source of your deduction, as it may very well benefit me in future.

What Mad Indian is saying is actually correct. A diabetic patient can have increased blood sugar levels by taking things like rice or rotis also. The thing is that our diet,the Bengali diet, of maach bhaat tends to make us fat and obese. What many people do not know is that the carbohydrate that we get from rice is converted into fat by our liver. This along with our general apathy towards body building and exercise makes us fat and diabetic. Diabetic patients should not have anything in large excess and that includes rice,roti,sugar etc.

prohumanity

Country flag
I am impressed....When did the Indian govt. develop GUTS to stand up to a western mega corporation who did poison millions of Indian kids by putting 7 times of allowed lead content ? Can you count how many million Indians will develop mental retardation, hearing loss etc. from this lead poisoning ?
But, Folks..India is developing balls of steel...

pmaitra

What Mad Indian is saying is actually correct. A diabetic patient can have increased blood sugar levels by taking things like rice or rotis also. The thing is that our diet,the Bengali diet, of maach bhaat tends to make us fat and obese. What many people do not know is that the carbohydrate that we get from rice is converted into fat by our liver. This along with our general apathy towards body building and exercise makes us fat and diabetic. Diabetic patients should not have anything in large excess and that includes rice,roti,sugar etc.
Fish doesn't make us fat, but the rest of your comment is correct.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
I think that the govt has taken a right decision in this controversy. For years MNCs have added food adulterants in many of the "healthy" food products. Besides,Nestle a lot of other companies should also be targeted.

Currently a few Modi haters are saying that the ban has been influenced by ITC group who are in cahoots with the govt. Modi govt should test the packaged food products of other MNCs also to dispel the doubts of his detractors.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
I have heard the same thing from a few friends too. Can you give any source/link for this? If this is indeed true then it is quite disheartening.

Last edited:

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
Modi govt should test the packaged food products of other MNCs also to dispel the doubts of his detractors.
FSSAI or some body had said y'day that other such consumables will also be monitored from now on.

Ancient Indian

p = np :)
Am I the only one who eat this kind of thing?

We should eat more of our traditional foods.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles