The great Maggi con job: How their ads have been fooling you for years

Would you still continue to eat Maggi Noodles/ any instant noodles after this health scare?

• Total voters

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
after reader these posts I got a wicked idea...
the idea is what will happen if we start eating grass and Raw ( uncooked otherwise some one will take it as RAW) vegetables instead of indulging in this mess.. uh?
this idea will be sugar free .. stop laughing and think. .if every one say yes then we will implement a bill in LS

Rashna

Country flag
There is something called wheatgrass juice...... haha .. Try that...
after reader these posts I got a wicked idea...
the idea is what will happen if we start eating grass and Raw ( uncooked otherwise some one will take it as RAW) vegetables instead of indulging in this mess.. uh?
this idea will be sugar free .. stop laughing and think. .if every one say yes then we will implement a bill in LS

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
There is something addictive about Maggi and that is what draws children... Over the years the main TG for Maggi has always been Kids... they obviously know whose psychology to tap.
And where do kids get money for Maggi?

More than Maggi I blame their Parents who want to save their time and stockpile maggi.

Rashna

Country flag
The parents actually believe that they are giving their kids a healthy snack in place of roti and sabzi. (Atta noodles) and its ready in a flash and you don't have to convince the child to eat because it takes no effort to gulp down maggi, no chewing involved... That's the power of years of advertising, plus the parents of today have themselves been kids who loved Maggi, why would they be denying their kids something they ate as kids. So its going from generation to generation....

And where do kids get money for Maggi?

More than Maggi I blame their Parents who want to save their time and stockpile maggi.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
I don't think any sane doctor will support you on the issue of sugar loading... Neh Neh you don't get away this time.
Wow. Simply wow. Again, strawman . But seriously dumdum, I hope that your looks make up for your dumdum status:bounce:

Rashna

Country flag
Hahaha. Your attempts at proving me to be a dumdum are quite funny.. By now you must have realized I'm no pushover and all these shock n awe tactics won't work..All the best with the refresher... lol
Wow. Simply wow. Again, strawman . But seriously dumdum, I hope that your looks make up for your dumdum status:bounce:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Hahaha. Your attempts at proving me to be a dumdum are quite funny.. By now you must have realized I'm no pushover and all these shock n awe tactics won't work..All the best with the refresher... lol

All you have proven is that you are a dumdum beyond reason :bounce:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I thought Maggi's response was rather weak in the first few days. They should have been more proactive.

They missed out on a opportunity to increase customer confidence.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
I
Cheer up. I practically grew up on maggi. I suspect most of us here did.
There you go!!! Your wisdom drowned with the load of lead it consumed.

And you definitely suspect wrong. I hardly ever had maggi. My mother always made noodles from local rice noodles which were delicious and maggi could never compete with it.

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
nestle had a tryst with furore earlier too and received ample flak and damage in its repute and sales in 2005, in china, over the high/excess iodine content found in its milk-powder. the chinese govt. too is supposed to have dealt with them strictly, while the statements from nestle then were not much different from what they have been issuing now.

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
See the man who have become a whor$ of MNCs ... if you have watched TimesNow today, it is shameful to see this man talking and thinking even such a person can call himself 'patriot'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prahlad_Kakkar
as a thumb-rule, i personally know can't give much credence and what to expect and brace myself for what's upcoming when someone starts his 'monologue' like, "see, first of all, am (also) proud of my blah blah...and am also patriotic about my blah blah....but blah blah doesn't mean blah blah...." and so on and so forth; a form of self-declaration and certification as a preventive measure more than anything genuine or meaningful.

its like those headings we read on articles and news-bits that scream & pose a question; you just instinctively know the answer.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
@Mad Indian

I am not a doctor, however I understand the basic fact that Sugar which is basically Sucrose - a simple form of Carbohydrate gives up instant calorie and thus increase sugar-level in blood much fast, is worse than any complex carbohydrate like fructose or other. Hence, the people with Blood Sugar problem are at risk from consumption of sugar, as instead of delayed and gradual release of gluose in blood, it increases it faster and compromises the person's health. The calorie of sugar is not alone the problem here. Even, honey which has more caloric measure vis-a-vis sugar, is considered good for some sugar patients because of its complex compound and slow glucose release.

Yes, it is article learned knowledge. However, I have never ever read a single article or anybody say as you are saying, against avoiding sugar for blood sugar patient.

My father being a sugar patient, I would seriously like to know the source of your deduction, as it may very well benefit me in future.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Even if a single batch is found defective, the company should fined heavily and punitive measure should be taken to the quality control team and the CEO, at least the Indian head, for criminal negligence. If tomorrow, even by mistake a product contains arsenic or cyanide, would you let the company go unpunished?

Further, if different batches of products and products from different factories/job workers show different result, the whole company should be banned and its operations closed, as that would prove that there's no quality control for this company. Don't forget this company produces some of the most popular and highest selling child product too, and that solely because of the brand name as parents want the best for the children. What guarantee does Nestle give me that my son's babyfood is not adulterated if they cannot do air-tight quality control?

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
@Mad Indian

I am not a doctor, however I understand the basic fact that Sugar which is basically Sucrose - a simple form of Carbohydrate gives up instant calorie and thus increase sugar-level in blood much fast, is worse than any complex carbohydrate like fructose or other.

Hence, the people with Blood Sugar problem are at risk from consumption of sugar, as instead of delayed and gradual release of glucose in blood, it increases it faster and compromises the person's health.
I had already explained this . But it got lost in the stupid posts of @Rashna and @genius.

Sucrose/common sugar is NOT a simple sugar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disaccharide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucrose

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosaccharide

Human body CANNOT absorb disaccharides like sucrose before they are digested. Sucrose is a disaccharide made up of Glucose and Fructose. So Sucrose is not absorbed directly from the intestine. Sucrose is first digested into its component simple sugars/monosaccharides - Glucose and fructose before it is absorbed into the body. And of course, body only absorbs glucose, fructose galactose(which is a component of lactose or milk sugar)

It is a myth that sugar increases the glucose level in blood rapidly. It does not. Sugar falls under medium glycemic index food category with a glycemic index of 68, .ie the foods which increase the blood glucose moderately fast. Foods like White Bread (97), White Rice(98), Processed Wheat(maitha?), Parthas etc, fall under "high glycemic index" category, .ie the foods which increase the blood glucose levels very fast on consumption.

here are some foods and their glycemic indexes

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fi...betes.html?referrer=https://www.google.co.in/

So sugar is actually safer comparative to say white rice or processed wheat flour(maitha). The reason is because digestion of sugar is by the enzyme Sucrase present only in the small intestine. On the other hand, the starch present in the processed wheat flour, white rice etc start getting digested as soon as they enter the mouth. Saliva in our mouth has salivary amylase which converts starch into glucose. So the absorption of glucose starts much earlier in case of starch compared to say sucrose.

So dont write off sugar simply for its name or its glycemic index.

The calorie of sugar is not alone the problem here. Even, honey which has more caloric measure vis-a-vis sugar, is considered good for some sugar patients because of its complex compound and slow glucose release.
While it is true Honey has a lower glycemic index (GI), it is also true that the amount of sugar you are going to be consuming per day is going to be too insignificant to make much of a difference in your health.

Seriously, lets say you are going to take 3 coffees a day. Even with 2 tea spoons of sugar per coffee, at the max, you are going to take 6 teaspoons of sugar? So you will be consuming 150 Kcalories of energy? But on average your daily intake of energy is going to be around 2300Kcals . And you know very well that our diets are going to consist of rice, bread, chappathis etc, which in many cases have a higher or atleast similiar GI to sugar? So what difference is it going to make that you add 150 kcals of sugar the coffee ?

Yes, it is article learned knowledge. However, I have never ever read a single article or anybody say as you are saying, against avoiding sugar for blood sugar patient.
Do you know how many Doctors still take sugarless coffee?(That too without artificial sweetners?) I usually ask them the same question and they usually wont have an answer. Most of them still have an outdated knowledge of how to deal with diabetes. Seriously though, what I am saying is the latest management of diabetes. You wont find the young diabetologists giving advice to stop using sugars.

The present day advice is that there need be no restriction on the diet you eat, so long as the diet is balanced and has correct calories tailored to your needs. That is, you can even eat mutton and chicken, so long as you calculate the calories you eat to be under the ideal consumption. Now, the management modality is more about how much you eat and not what you eat.

And of course, the emphasis should be made on the "calories" you take, and I cant stress this enough. When I am saying that you can eat "whatever" food you want, it should not be taken as "how much ever" you want. For example, if your father is a sugar patient and he is taking 4 milked coffees without sugar each day, it wont make any difference if he reduced the coffees to 3, but adding sugar to it and it might actually be beneficial, in that 3 sugared coffees have lower calories than 4 sugarless coffees.

My father being a sugar patient, I would seriously like to know the source of your deduction, as it may very well benefit me in future.
This is not something I have deducted. This is the latest management protocol for Diabetes, .ie the focus is on glycemic control and not on what food we eat. This is what my father also follows in his practice. The only doctors who still advice sugar free foods are those who have not yet updated their knowledge of this subject.

Hope this helps and pls ask any doubt you might have, as any misinterpretation of what I have said might be bad for health.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Even if a single batch is found defective, the company should fined heavily and punitive measure should be taken to the quality control team and the CEO, at least the Indian head, for criminal negligence. If tomorrow, even by mistake a product contains arsenic or cyanide, would you let the company go unpunished?

Further, if different batches of products and products from different factories/job workers show different result, the whole company should be banned and its operations closed, as that would prove that there's no quality control for this company. Don't forget this company produces some of the most popular and highest selling child product too, and that solely because of the brand name as parents want the best for the children. What guarantee does Nestle give me that my son's babyfood is not adulterated if they cannot do air-tight quality control?
The ultimate guarentee is the fact that you will stop buying from Nestle from now on since its reputation has been tarnished. Hefty fine should be placed on a firm if they fail to deliver the standard "they" promised rather than set an arbitrary set of standards for some products.

And I dont think that banning them outright is a good idea or even correct. Nestle can even sell poison, so long as it mentions that it has poison in it. But the problem here is that Nestle dint say/mention about the high lead content of its products. So it must be made to pay compensation for the consumers who sued it and should either be made to advertise that its product has high lead content or should be forced to remove the lead in its product(in this specific example)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles