The great Maggi con job: How their ads have been fooling you for years

Would you still continue to eat Maggi Noodles/ any instant noodles after this health scare?

• Total voters

Sylex21

Only a fool would consider instant noodles healthy. Maggie noodles are delicious. So is ice cream. I wouldn't feed either one to my kids daily.

Rashna

Country flag
That's what this article says, they fooled people by advertising that maggi is taste and health both...
Only a fool would consider instant noodles healthy. Maggie noodles are delicious. So is ice cream. I wouldn't feed either one to my kids daily.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Hahaha. Yes because sugar hits the blood stream directly spiking glucose levels and a diabetic's insulin response is hampered so the spike in glucose will last much longer than it would in a normal person. Moreover this continuous spiking can lead to a metabolic syndrome.
Natural Sugars and Processed Sugars need to be treated differently. Much of the carbohydrate in our food breaks down in to glucose. Glucose is essential for providing the body with energy. Typically we would like these carbs to be low on the glycemic index so that they take longer to digest and cause slow release of glucose in the system in comparison to white sugar or sugary drinks which will immediately dump glucose in to the blood stream.
If i am watching weight also i need to control my craving for carbs which is something that is closely connected to eating high sugar content and fatty food.
Also not everybody would have the same calorie requirement.. Depends on your gender, age, level if fitness activity, lifestyle, and food preferences.
A person on diet is recommended tea with very little milk(skim preferably) and no sugar.
Milk has nutrition value whereas Sugar has none..

Also your contention that full milk tea with sugar has 200kcal is a bit on the wild side. Nobody drinks one glass of tea made only out of milk. And if they do then they are probably not dieting. lol. Besides the caloric value milk by itself is not an issue, sugar is because it affects the blood glucose level. If someone is an athlete and needs instant energy then yes sugar can do it for them...

Calories in Tea - With and Without Milk or Sugar

Last Updated: Oct. 31, 2013

Tea, when nothing is added to it, has negligible, but not zero calories. According to theUSDA Nutrient Database (where all the figures here come from), a typical 8oz. cup of brewed black tea has 2.4 calories, which is almost nothing compared to the Recommended Daily Intake(RDI) of 2000 calories for a typical adult. The calories come mostly from trace amounts of carbohydrates in the tea leaf. The same is true for mostherbal teas. However, milk and sweeteners can add significant amounts of calories to tea.

Cubes of white, refined sugar; these add calories but no other nutritional value. Photo by Carioca, licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0.
Sugar adds empty calories
A typical teaspoon of refined (white) sugar amounts to about 4 grams of sugar, which has 15 calories. A typical sugar cube is about 2 grams, which has about 9 calories, and a typical sugar packet, like those served with tea or coffee in some restaurants, has about 3 grams, or 11 calories. These calories are also empty, in the sense that they impart no other nutritional value: no vitamins, minerals, or protein.
Milk adds calories and nutrients
Milk or cream can be a big contributor to the calories in tea. These calories come from both sugars (like lactose, naturally occurring in dairy products) and fat in non-skim milk. One fluid ounce of whole milk (which is a lot more than most people put in their tea) has only 18 calories, 9 of which are from fat. Half-and-half has 39 calories per fluid ounce, 30 of which are from fat. Skim milk has 10 calories per fluid ounce, none of which is from fat.

Unlike sugar, milk also adds significant nutritional value. Milk contains protein, about 1 gram per fluid ounce, and some vitamin A, and also is a good source of calcium. Vitamin A is a fat-soluble vitamin, so it is not well-absorbed from skim milk.

How Many Calories Are in a Glass of Milk?
Last Updated: Aug 16, 2013 | By Michelle Lawson

Milk is a good source of calcium. Photo CreditJupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images

Milk is a good source of calcium and vitamin D. Milk is not only a popular drink, but it is also used for cooking and in cereal. Milk is available as whole milk, 2 percent, 1 percent and skim.

Calories
One serving of whole milk is equal to 1 cup and contains 146 calories with 71 calories from fat. A 1 cup serving of 2 percent milk contains 122 calories with 43 calories from fat. The same serving of 1 percent milk contains 102 calories with 21 calories from fat. Each serving of skim milk contains 86 calories with 4 of those calories from fat.

Minerals
Based on a 2,000-calorie-per-day diet, each serving of whole milk and 2 percent milk contains 28 percent daily value of calcium. Each serving of 1 percent milk contains 20 percent daily value of calcium. Skim milk contains 50 percent daily value of calcium. Whole milk contains 349 mg of potassium, while 2 percent and 1 percent milk contain 366 mg of potassium per serving. Skim milk has 410 mg of potassium.

I
:facepalm:

Sugar is made up of sucrose. Sucrose is not taken up/absorbed by the small intestine before it is broken down by sucrase into glucose and fructose. Sucrase is present in small intestinal secretion only. So sugar is digested and absorbed only well into the small intestine.

But starch on the other hand , which is present in bread , rice , wheat is digested by amylase- salivary and pancreatic. So the digestion of starch starts in mouth itself rather than in the small intestine, like the case of sugar. That's is why bread has a higher glycemic index than sugar.

Also what you talking about sudden increase in blood glucose is measured as glycemic index in medicine. Higher glycemic index means faster blood sugar rise. That's why bread is worse than sugar in that aspect.

But I know you are more informed about this matter from your random half cooked internet articles than someone who spent six years in college studying it, one year of which is involved in treating the diabetics, like me. :bplease:

None of the modern day diabetologists ask for any specific restriction in food- .ie no one advocates sugar free diet or meat free diet. The modern diabetes care is about "calories " taken "onleee" . It does not matter what kind of calories you take, so long as the calires taken is not above the optimal amount.

But its OK to be stupid in this issue. Even some doctor take sugar free diet. So it is understandable that people like you fall for the Sugar free BS :playball:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
None of the junk foods are healthy. So what? Shall we ban MCD and KFC too?

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
It helps if you are not following any particular diet and don't want to gain weight in your thirties when the body metabolism starts to slow down. Sugar has empty calories, better to eat a complex carb which will provide slow energy release through the day.
Lol. Whatever woman. I am done trying to help you with information

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
This is ridiculous, and you claim to be a doctor. :crazy:I fear for your patients. Read Rashna's post to see the difference - rice has macro-nutrients, mainly carbohydrates and fiber, whereas sugar is empty calories. Milk has protein too. But ignore all that, just follow your own advice and keep eating many spoons of sugar.:lol:
:rofl: so what happened to your claim that sugar causes lipogenesis?

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the fact that you and @Rashna have the same IQ Level :lawl:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
True but kids are addicted to this and its also being advertised as healthy...
Kids are brainwashed by these celebs who would sell themselves for anything.

Kids are Kids and would eat these crap and their Parents should know what to do.

These food are not healthy and can never replace simply home food.But today parents have no time to do cooking for their kids and look for a easy way to feed the kids.

Rashna

Country flag
To be on the other side you will go to any extent like defending SUGAR.
The whole approach to diet is based on substitution of high calorie foods having low nutritional value with low calorie foods having high nutritional value. To that effect Sugar has no role to play in providing nutrition and if you drink coke instead of water then its highly likely that you are going to be taking in useless calories.
Nobody defends Sugar because of its role in glucose control and dyslipidemia. I am a lot more informed because of what doctors themselves have said, i am not shooting of the hip here... you may be in need of a refresher course if you believe such theories.

The Truth About Sugar

Can sugar worsen cholesterol?
Researchers have found a link between sugar and unhealthy levels of blood fats. “There’s an association between added sugar intake and what we call dyslipidemia -- highertriglycerides and lower HDL ("good") cholesterol, says Rachel K. Johnson, RD, MPH, PhD, a professor of nutrition at the University of Vermont and a spokeswoman for the American Heart Association (AHA).

In a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), people who ate the largest amounts of added sugar had the highest bloodtriglyceride levels and the lowest HDL (good) cholesterol levels. That study also showed that eating lots of sugar more than tripled the odds of having low HDL cholesterol levels, a strong risk factor for heart disease.

In contrast, people who ate the least sugar had the lowest triglyceride levels and highest HDL levels, a protective factor against heart disease.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/health-effects-of-sugar?page=2
:facepalm:

Sugar is made up of sucrose. Sucrose is not taken up/absorbed by the small intestine before it is broken down by sucrase into glucose and fructose. Sucrase is present in small intestinal secretion only. So sugar is digested and absorbed only well into the small intestine.

But starch on the other hand , which is present in bread , rice , wheat is digested by amylase- salivary and pancreatic. So the digestion of starch starts in mouth itself rather than in the small intestine, like the case of sugar. That's is why bread has a higher glycemic index than sugar.

Also what you talking about sudden increase in blood glucose is measured as glycemic index in medicine. Higher glycemic index means faster blood sugar rise. That's why bread is worse than sugar in that aspect.

But I know you are more informed about this matter from your random half cooked internet articles than someone who spent six years in college studying it, one year of which is involved in treating the diabetics, like me. :bplease:

None of the modern day diabetologists ask for any specific restriction in food- .ie no one advocates sugar free diet or meat free diet. The modern diabetes care is about "calories " taken "onleee" . It does not matter what kind of calories you take, so long as the calires taken is not above the optimal amount.

But its OK to be stupid in this issue. Even some doctor take sugar free diet. So it is understandable that people like you fall for the Sugar free BS :playball:

Rashna

Country flag
There is something addictive about Maggi and that is what draws children... Over the years the main TG for Maggi has always been Kids... they obviously know whose psychology to tap.

Kids are brainwashed by these celebs who would sell themselves for anything.

Kids are Kids and would eat these crap and their Parents should know what to do.

These food are not healthy and can never replace simply home food.But today parents have no time to do cooking for their kids and look for a easy way to feed the kids.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
To be on the other side you will go to any extent like defending SUGAR.
The whole approach to diet is based on substitution of high calorie foods having low nutritional value with low calorie foods having high nutritional value. To that effect Sugar has no role to play in providing nutrition and if you drink coke instead of water then its highly likely that you are going to be taking in useless calories.
Nobody defends Sugar because of its role in glucose control and dyslipidemia. I am a lot more informed because of what doctors themselves have said, i am not shooting of the hip here... you may be in need of a refresher course if you believe such theories.

The Truth About Sugar

Can sugar worsen cholesterol?
Researchers have found a link between sugar and unhealthy levels of blood fats. “There’s an association between added sugar intake and what we call dyslipidemia -- highertriglycerides and lower HDL ("good") cholesterol, says Rachel K. Johnson, RD, MPH, PhD, a professor of nutrition at the University of Vermont and a spokeswoman for the American Heart Association (AHA).

In a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), people who ate the largest amounts of added sugar had the highest bloodtriglyceride levels and the lowest HDL (good) cholesterol levels. That study also showed that eating lots of sugar more than tripled the odds of having low HDL cholesterol levels, a strong risk factor for heart disease.

In contrast, people who ate the least sugar had the lowest triglyceride levels and highest HDL levels, a protective factor against heart disease.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/health-effects-of-sugar?page=2
Wow. Just wow. Now you have started changing goalposts and strawmanning me.

I said that sugar free diet is BS because the 20-30kcals you save from it is rather useless on the grand scale of things. Then you came up with the argument that sugar is not taken only because it increases blood glucose rapidly. I countered it with the fact that sugar has a lower glycemic index than rice, wheat and bread and so the claim of sugar rapidly increasing Blood glucose is nonsense
Now you come up with a changed goal post that you are talking about complex vs simple carbohydrate which was not the discussion to being with.

Strangely enough, @genius did exactly that in this thread. Oh boy. You two guys have a lot more in common than I thought- IQ being one of it :laugh:

Last edited:

Rashna

Country flag
Its the other way around actually. I am giving you a refresher course on something you should be knowing.... :rofl:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/healthy-eating/glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods

As you guys can see, apple with sugar has lower glycemic index than apple without sugar or any such case for that matter.

So much for the silly claims that sugar is bad for health :laugh:

Anyway I will allow the intelligent people of this forum to come their own conclusions.
Lol. Whatever woman. I am done trying to help you with information

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Now that that is done, let me give you another example of BS marketing- cholesterol free sunflower oil

Last edited:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
To expand further , all oils from plants are cholesterol free. Cholesterol is something found only in animal fat. Even unrefined palm oil will have 0 cholesterol. So take any claims of 0 cholesterol plant oil/vanaspathi with a pinch of salt.

What you should look for however is "trans fatty acids" which are actually harmful and make sure that it is low in the oil you are buying

Rashna

Country flag
Wow!!! Now i know u need a refresher course AND a psychological evaluation asap before you kill some person by prescribing SUGAR to them.
Rice, Bread , Potatoes everything contains Sugar..... Now read below for some important information... Will u eat 5 tablespoons of sugar? Straight out of the jar? You won't.... But you can eat 4 slices of bread, with potatoes and also eat fried rice and wash it all down with COKE.....
So what you are watching is the hidden sugar in your diet.

Glycemic Index and Diabetes
The glycemic index, or GI, measures how a carbohydrate-containing food raises blood glucose. Foods are ranked based on how they compare to a reference food — either glucose or white bread.

A food with a high GI raises blood glucose more than a food with a medium or low GI.

Meal planning with the GI involves choosing foods that have a low or medium GI. If eating a food with a high GI, you can combine it with low GI foods to help balance the meal.

Examples of carbohydrate-containing foods with a low GI include dried beans and legumes (like kidney beans and lentils), all non-starchy vegetables, some starchy vegetables like sweet potatoes, most fruit, and many whole grain breads and cereals (like barley, whole wheat bread, rye bread, and all-bran cereal).

Meats and fats don’t have a GI because they do not contain carbohydrate.

Below are examples of foods based on their GI.

Low GI Foods (55 or less)
  • 100% stone-ground whole wheat or pumpernickel bread
  • Oatmeal (rolled or steel-cut), oat bran, muesli
  • Pasta, converted rice, barley, bulgar
  • Sweet potato, corn, yam, lima/butter beans, peas, legumes and lentils
  • Most fruits, non-starchy vegetables and carrots
Medium GI (56-69)
  • Whole wheat, rye and pita bread
  • Quick oats
  • Brown, wild or basmati rice, couscous
High GI (70 or more)
  • White bread or bagel
  • Corn flakes, puffed rice, bran flakes, instant oatmeal
  • Shortgrain white rice, rice pasta, macaroni and cheese from mix
  • Russet potato, pumpkin
  • Pretzels, rice cakes, popcorn, saltine crackers
  • melons and pineapple
What Affects the GI of a Food?
Fat and fiber tend to lower the GI of a food. As a general rule, the more cooked or processed a food, the higher the GI; however, this is not always true.

Below are a few specific examples of other factors that can affect the GI of a food:

• Ripeness and storage time — the more ripe a fruit or vegetable is, the higher the GI
  • Processing — juice has a higher GI than whole fruit; mashed potato has a higher GI than a whole baked potato, stone ground whole wheat bread has a lower GI than whole wheat bread.
  • Cooking method — how long a food is cooked (al dente pasta has a lower GI than soft-cooked pasta)
  • Variety — converted long-grain white rice has a lower GI than brown rice but short-grain white rice has a higher GI than brown rice.
Other Considerations
The GI value represents the type of carbohydrate in a food but says nothing about the amount of carbohydrate typically eaten. Portion sizes are still relevant for managing blood glucose and for losing or maintaining weight.

The GI of a food is different when eaten alone than it is when combined with other foods. When eating a high GI food, you can combine it with other low GI foods to balance out the effect on blood glucose levels.

Many nutritious foods have a higher GI than foods with little nutritional value. For example, oatmeal has a higher GI than chocolate. Use of the GI needs to be balanced with basic nutrition principles of variety for healthful foods and moderation of foods with few nutrients.

GI or Carbohydrate Counting?
There is no one diet or meal plan that works for everyone with diabetes. The important thing is to follow a meal plan that is tailored to personal preferences and lifestyle and helps achieve goals for blood glucose, cholesterol and triglycerides levels, blood pressure, and weight management.

Research shows that both the amount and the type of carbohydrate in food affect blood glucose levels. Studies also show that the total amount of carbohydrate in food, in general, is a stronger predictor of blood glucose response than the GI.

Based on the research, for most people with diabetes, the first tool for managing blood glucose is some type of carbohydrate counting.

Because the type of carbohydrate can affect blood glucose, using the GI may be helpful in "fine-tuning" blood glucose management. In other words, combined with carbohydrate counting, it may provide an additional benefit for achieving blood glucose goals for individuals who can and want to put extra effort into monitoring their food choices

- See more at: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fi...ttps://www.google.co.in/#sthash.B30jkggT.dpuf

Wow. Just wow. Now you have started changing goalposts and strawmanning me.

I said that sugar free diet is BS because the 20-30kcals you save from it is rather useless on the grand scale of things. Then you came up with the argument that sugar is not taken only because it increases blood glucose rapidly. I countered it with the fact that sugar has a lower glycemic index than rice, wheat and bread and so the claim of sugar rapidly increasing Blood glucose is nonsense
Now you come up with a changed goal post that you are talking about complex vs simple carbohydrate which was not the discussion to being with.

Strangely enough, @genius did exactly that too in this thread. Oh boy. You two guys have a lot more in common than I thought- IQ being one of it :laugh:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Wow!!! Now i know u need a refresher course AND a psychological evaluation asap before you kill some person by prescribing SUGAR to them.
Rice, Bread , Potatoes everything contains Sugar..... Now read below for some important information... Will u eat 5 tablespoons of sugar? Straight out of the jar? You won't.... But you can eat 4 slices of bread, with potatoes and also eat fried rice and wash it all down with COKE.....
So what you are watching is the hidden sugar in your diet.

Glycemic Index and Diabetes
The glycemic index, or GI, measures how a carbohydrate-containing food raises blood glucose. Foods are ranked based on how they compare to a reference food — either glucose or white bread.

A food with a high GI raises blood glucose more than a food with a medium or low GI.

Meal planning with the GI involves choosing foods that have a low or medium GI. If eating a food with a high GI, you can combine it with low GI foods to help balance the meal.

Examples of carbohydrate-containing foods with a low GI include dried beans and legumes (like kidney beans and lentils), all non-starchy vegetables, some starchy vegetables like sweet potatoes, most fruit, and many whole grain breads and cereals (like barley, whole wheat bread, rye bread, and all-bran cereal).

Meats and fats don’t have a GI because they do not contain carbohydrate.

Below are examples of foods based on their GI.

Low GI Foods (55 or less)
  • 100% stone-ground whole wheat or pumpernickel bread
  • Oatmeal (rolled or steel-cut), oat bran, muesli
  • Pasta, converted rice, barley, bulgar
  • Sweet potato, corn, yam, lima/butter beans, peas, legumes and lentils
  • Most fruits, non-starchy vegetables and carrots
Medium GI (56-69)
  • Whole wheat, rye and pita bread
  • Quick oats
  • Brown, wild or basmati rice, couscous
High GI (70 or more)
  • White bread or bagel
  • Corn flakes, puffed rice, bran flakes, instant oatmeal
  • Shortgrain white rice, rice pasta, macaroni and cheese from mix
  • Russet potato, pumpkin
  • Pretzels, rice cakes, popcorn, saltine crackers
  • melons and pineapple
What Affects the GI of a Food?
Fat and fiber tend to lower the GI of a food. As a general rule, the more cooked or processed a food, the higher the GI; however, this is not always true.

Below are a few specific examples of other factors that can affect the GI of a food:

• Ripeness and storage time — the more ripe a fruit or vegetable is, the higher the GI
  • Processing — juice has a higher GI than whole fruit; mashed potato has a higher GI than a whole baked potato, stone ground whole wheat bread has a lower GI than whole wheat bread.
  • Cooking method — how long a food is cooked (al dente pasta has a lower GI than soft-cooked pasta)
  • Variety — converted long-grain white rice has a lower GI than brown rice but short-grain white rice has a higher GI than brown rice.
Other Considerations
The GI value represents the type of carbohydrate in a food but says nothing about the amount of carbohydrate typically eaten. Portion sizes are still relevant for managing blood glucose and for losing or maintaining weight.

The GI of a food is different when eaten alone than it is when combined with other foods. When eating a high GI food, you can combine it with other low GI foods to balance out the effect on blood glucose levels.

Many nutritious foods have a higher GI than foods with little nutritional value. For example, oatmeal has a higher GI than chocolate. Use of the GI needs to be balanced with basic nutrition principles of variety for healthful foods and moderation of foods with few nutrients.

GI or Carbohydrate Counting?
There is no one diet or meal plan that works for everyone with diabetes. The important thing is to follow a meal plan that is tailored to personal preferences and lifestyle and helps achieve goals for blood glucose, cholesterol and triglycerides levels, blood pressure, and weight management.

Research shows that both the amount and the type of carbohydrate in food affect blood glucose levels. Studies also show that the total amount of carbohydrate in food, in general, is a stronger predictor of blood glucose response than the GI.

Based on the research, for most people with diabetes, the first tool for managing blood glucose is some type of carbohydrate counting.

Because the type of carbohydrate can affect blood glucose, using the GI may be helpful in "fine-tuning" blood glucose management. In other words, combined with carbohydrate counting, it may provide an additional benefit for achieving blood glucose goals for individuals who can and want to put extra effort into monitoring their food choices

- See more at: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fi...ttps://www.google.co.in/#sthash.B30jkggT.dpuf
Strawman argument. This was never about simple vs complex carb nor was it ever about glycemic index.

I am sorry if you are too stupid to understand what I am saying

Rashna

Country flag
What kind of doctor are you? I mean u are living in the fifties..... OMG...... You started talking about oil all of a sudden, what happened? Sugar got the better of you i guess, especially the dyslipidemia link. :rofl: So now u have shifted your attention to dietary fat by taking on OIL......

Strawman argument. This was never about simple vs complex carb nor was it ever about glycemic index.

I am sorry if you are too stupid to understand what I am saying

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
Now its 6:30pm I m hungry... . you guys have scared me ( some say MSG WTH? WHAT IS ITand some say sugar is good for health ...have spoon ful sugar daily)...
and another man starts comparing apple with sugar and apple without sugar..
is thread ke posters k liye mere tharaf se ek NAMASKAR

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles