The globality Of Hinduism

Discussion in 'Religion & Culture' started by Ray, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

There is much debate these days on Hinduism and its nuances in the country, as also in this forum.

It has evoked a variety of comments and discourse on this forum too.

Maybe those who are conversant and knowledgeable about Hinduism, Sanatan Dharm, Vedic scriptures and Vedanta, could comment on this article and educate us.

Kay, Srinivas_K, maomao and 1 other person like this.
  3. sgarg

sgarg Senior Member Senior Member

People confuse Hindu with Vedic.

I have already said that the current Hinduism is very far from Vedic beliefs.

The Upanishads are explanation of Vedas - that is a way of a teacher to explain concepts contained in the Vedas. Upanishads and Vedas are one and same. However Purann is a body of literature written in post-Vedic period and it does not tally with Vedas at all.

The BJP is NOT ruling by force of religion. India remains a democracy and nothing has changed. The above TOI article is just one more attempt to poison people's mind through colorful language.

Hindu denotes a people of diverse faiths. Some of these faiths are conservative just like some Christians are conservative. What is wrong with that?

Yes Vedic way of life is very different from current way of life. Vedic people followed Vedas which contains edicts for every aspect of human life. So a Vedic person would obviously reject foreign influences.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  4. Rowdy

Rowdy Co ja kurwa czytam! Senior Member

Lets see what else the hindu is allowed to do :

The Hindu goes to mosques/pirs to ask for dua.

The Hindu goes to church on christmas.

The Hindu watches feebly as his religion is ethnically cleansed in Kashmir.

The Hindu watches with his b**ls in his hands as BD-gangs over run his cities.

The Hindu votes for missionary agents that offer money to his child for conversion.

The Hindu isn't allowed to say anything when his daughter is a victim of love jihad.

Ohhh Noo... no one is buying my article because there are no more hindus left. :lol:

This article is a piece of crap :lol: .. the first para shows it's political inclination :D

5. Ray

Comment on this please.

Kay and Abhijat like this.
  6. Abhijat

Abhijat Regular Member

"He doesn’t or wouldn’t shun say the English language to think only in Hindi, but would be deeply interested in learning Sanskrit to read the Upanishads and absorb from the source. Just as he would be wanting to learn French or Latin to collect and assimilate other wisdoms from their sources. Hinduism absorbs from multiple sources; in its search for verities, it stops at nothing. As S Radhakrishnan said, what is built forever is forever building."

@Ray , Sir, the above statement sums up it all.

The "School of Philosophy" , stated above , were/are part of different thoughts inculcating in the Hindu "religion" .

Their were Six of them , varying from , purely materialistic ( Charavakh), strongly atheistic (Samkhya) to observation and deduction (Nyaya) , to understanding of atomism (Vaisheshika) etc.

But, the current "school" , which is more predominant than the others ( observation in North India) , is "Vedanata".

That doesn't mean "Vedanta" is incongealable with other school of thoughts , as the basic tenant of "Hinduism" i.e. : " Moksha , Karma, and Rebirth" , were common in all.

That said, the question/deduction derived from OT, is somewhat misleading , as their were always " conflation of Hinduism" , and not a recent phenomena , as these "School of thoughts" ,were always competing in the "Sphere of Hinduism" , and thus , naturally assimilating in "different forms" .

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    Kay likes this.
  7. Abhijat

Abhijat Regular Member

@Ray , Sir, an example of "amalgamation" of different "Schools of Thought", is my family itself.

My Father , is follower of , "Yoga" school of philosophy

My Mother , is believer of , "Vedanta" school of philosophy

Myself , is follower of , "Nyaya" school of thoughts.

So , an example , of how "Hinduism" allows to have different schools , representing , different/unique mindset of person , living in same "unity".

maomao and Ray like this.
  8. Ray

Thanks.

I am not clued up on Hinduism in details.

It is a good education for me.

Abhijat likes this.
  9. sgarg

Vedant or "adwait philosophy" is against Vedas. Vedas accept only "traitwad". "Traitwad" means three fundamental entities - god, soul and prakriti. All three are eternal (non-dying).

Very few Hindus know Vedas today - I would say less than a million.

10. Ray

So, it means Vendanta is anti Hinduism?

If so, why so many Hindus follow it?

Swami Vivekananda is revered by Hindus and yet he followed Vendanta, if I am not mistaken.

Kay likes this.
  11. sgarg

Did I say anti-Hindu? Hindus follow all kind of beliefs which are anti-Vedic.

1. Statue worship is completely against Vedas.
    2. Making a god of a human is completely against Vedas.

Why talk of Vedanta only. Swami Vivekanand can be non-Vedic but still a guide for Hindus. Does it matter?

The so called modern Brahmins practice and propagate anti-Vedic practices. Should we call them non-Hindu? The word "Hindu" is just a place name. It is not a religion. "Hindu" is derived from "Sindhu" which is derived from "Sindhu Desh".

The religion of Vedic time was just called "dharm" and "dharm" is defined as carrying out duties as defined by Vedas.

12. Ray

You had written
    I am not too conversant with Hinduism and so I went by what you wrote.

I thought Vedas are sacrosanct.

I would like to go with the author that Hinduism is such a concept that it is not formalised within set edicts and walls like the Abrahamic religions and so it is all embracing where everything goes but not everybody arrives – all gods can be worshipped but god-consciousness – the realisation of impersonal energy as the source of creation. It is the Soul and not the Physical that is the centre point.

But then you would know better.

SADAKHUSH likes this.
  13. mayankkrishna

mayankkrishna Regular Member

The author has tried to explain Upanishad as if he is analyzing by dissection of Upanishad's body by tearing of various interpretations, interpretation of interpretations... and so on.

In practice of modern education, we are taught only what Upanishads are just by explaining what Upanishad means, (like above), or what Uttara Mimansa or Aranyaka means. Can this actually reveal what written in thousand of slokas in 108 books of Upanishads? This is actually useless, if any one wants to understand what Upanishads, and their will be nothing left to politicize about it once anyone reads it completely, although I feel he must be native to the language of atleast Hindi, to understand in depth because, it is much closer to understand Sankrit translations.

This article also only explains the 'Vendanta' as meaning of Upanishad. But Upanishad also means 'Upa-ni-shad' --- at the feet of one's guru.

14. mayankkrishna

mayankkrishna Regular Member

The author has quoted upanishads, because in Hindu religion, Upanishads are final discourse after all other branches of hindu literature that removes the discrepancies, misbeliefs and disagreements emanating by studying other branches.

The author is right, after all, with our possession, we hinduism generally tend to codify it into belief system that seeks to mirror the major faiths it has interacted with; for instance, Islam and Christianity

15. Khagesh

Khagesh Regular Member

Vedas are sacrosanct. Everything thereafter is subject to and open to inspection/interpretation/examination. Including the upanishads.

I doubt if the physical can strictly be divorced from the para-physical.

I have read only in bits and pieces but I think if you have some time you would like to read up and try to find the definitive link between the Yagyavalakya-Maitri Samvaad and Ajatashatru-Baalaki Gargya Samvaad. Both in Brihada-aranyaaka Upanishad.

www.kamakoti.org/kamakoti/articles/ESSENCE OF BRIHADARANYAKA UPANISHAD.pdf
    This link will work well for the later and the former is best covered somewhere in the collected works of Swami Vivekanand. Let me see if I can find it for you. Both are in English and do good justice to the subjects.

After that if you have the inclination you could read the different expositions on Infinity (Hindu & Jaina are pretty straightforward in this regard. The way I have read commentaries on Nagarjuna's works I think even he does not breaches the traditions). There is a common link in how Dharmics think and act.

At the same time you may like to read about the explanations to x/0=undefined. Remember 0 can best be understood w.r.t. infinity.

The old 'Poorna Madaha' Shanti Vakya (also in Brihada-aranyaaka Upanishad) would help in understanding why and how our darshan and life are linked by a singular sutra.

By the time you finish this. You will be a Brahmin.

A bit eclectic but should be the quickest route.

Here is the yajnavalkya_and_maitreyi samvaad.
    www.ramakrishnavivekananda.info/viv...d_other_lectures/yajnavalkya_and_maitreyi.htm

16. Abhijat

Abhijat Regular Member

Sir, you are a , ignorant fool , to least. Please don't "misinform" people about VEDAS.

Having said that , Adwaita philosophy , is interpretation of " Brahma Sutras" , by Swami Adi Shankaracharya.

Brahma Sutras , are compilation of all 108 Upanishad.

Upanishad are end part of , or the philosophical meaning, of Vedas.

So, please do tell , the validity of your statement.

17. Abhijat

Abhijat Regular Member

Sir,

"Vedanta" philosophy , is the interpretation of "Brahma Sutra" , which was itself "compilation" of all Upanishads .

Brahma Sutra , was written by Shri Badrayana.

Their were many interpretation of "Brahma Sutra" , and many people provided commentary on it , which became different school of thoughts:

Many commentaries have been written on this text, the earliest extant one being the one by Sri Adi Shankara. His commentary set forth the non-dualistic (Advaita) interpretation of the Vedānta, and was commented upon by Vācaspati and Padmapāda. These sub-commentaries, in turn, inspired other derivative texts in the Advaita school.
    Ramanuja also wrote a commentary on the Brahma sutra, called Sri Bhasya, which lays the foundations of the Vishishtadvaita tradition. In this, he firmly refutes the Advaita view as proposed by Adi Shankara in his commentary. Ramanuja's commentary enjoys the status of being titled Sri Bhashya, unlike the other commentaries which are named after their respective authors. It is said that Sharada herself titled the work of Ramanuja as the Sri Bhashyam.[citation needed] [according to whom?][vague]
    In the 12-13th century, Madhvacharya wrote commentaries on Brahma Sutras, which describe the supremacy of Lord Vishnu or Narayana. Thus he laid out the foundation for Tatvavaada or Dvaita tradition of Vedanta refuting all the previous commentaries on Brahma Sutras. Madhvacharya's four commentaries on Brahma Sutras are, 1-Brahma Sutra Bhashya, 2-Nyaya Vivarana, 3-Anuvyakhyana, 4-Brahma Sutra Anubhashya. Sri Jayatirtha wrote an extant subcommentary to Madhvacharya's Anuvyakhyana called Nyaya Sudha (Nectar of Logic) which is considered as magnum opus in Madhvacharya's school.

Brahma Sutras - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    HTML:

So, in general we can see that one "Brahma Sutra" , varied to different interpretation , in different time and period , was source of different schools of thought.

Also , their were many schools of thought , like "Carvaka" etc , which refuted the Vedas.

Vedas are called "Sruti" i.e divine revelation , and consist of knowledge , which represents "natural laws" , open to different interpretation.

All others are "Smriti" , or, literature handed down by tradition , so not necessary in need of interpretation , but can be refuted altogether.

Having , said that , it doesn't mean that infallibility of Vedas gives way to "static interpretation" , but human application of "reason" gives it "dynamism" which is required.

Kay likes this.
  18. Ray

@All,

Thanks for the details.

Will try to read from the links.

19. sgarg

How do you know - because somebody told you. The first thing in a religious and philosophical discussion is to be patient and respectful, even when you disagree.

I may be wrong but you have no right to call me "ignorant fool".

Are you sure and confident about what "Adi Sankaracharya" wrote or his words were modified later by somebody else.

You cannot be sure about Vedas without studying Vedas. Similarly you cannot be sure about Upanishad without studying Upanishad. Did you do that?

We do not discuss religious matters on emotions.

jackprince likes this.
  20. sgarg

The starting point is always Vedas. In Vedic education, the first 9 years were reserved to study of Vedas. How can anybody know anything without study of Vedas.

The problem with today's experts is that they do not understand a word of Vedas and they talk about Vedant, schools of thoughts and Adi Sankarcharya. Quite remarkable really.

My good wishes to all. My guru says that Hindus are ignorant about "dharm" and nation remains weak due to that. A person who is a recognized authority of Vedas is a better guide than just a statement from somebody.

jackprince and Abhijat like this.
  21. Ray

The problem is every guru thinks he is the sole guru and that is, for an uninitiated person like me, is so confusing.

I will be frank, I have been through all religions in various phases of my life, since I wanted to find peace, but sadly, I did not find it in any and so I have renounced religion per se.

Yet, I still search out of curiosity, if nothing else.

I am more of an existentialist, if indeed such an existence is there.

This debate on Hinduism in the Nation and the aggressive attitude that is prevalent in some sectors made me wonder if Hinduism was tranmogrifying into the rigidity and rules that characterise Abrhamic religions.

As I see Hindusim and its success in remaining relevant to this time, inspite of many assault which would have made it a dead phenomenon, is that is a freewheeling idea of existence, with no rules, dogmas, diktat, regimentation to curb the individual.

While you say there is no God in Vedas. Maybe so. But then you have to be a great soul to find solace by meditating into empty space.

For a common man, an icon is necessary to focus upon. Call it God or whatever. Muslims have the Ka'aba where they are expected to pay obeisance at least once in one's life time. The Christians have the Cross or the Statues.

And Hindus have the liberty, freedom and space to select the God of their Need. Now that is what is most satisfying since one's freedom, choice and liberty is not shackled by regimentation, rules, ritual and so on.

What is more important and expansive is that a Hindu has the choice to pray or not to pray and yet remain a Hindu. There is no mandatory Friday prayer or praying 5 times to be a good person, nor going to Church every Sunday to be declared a good person.

That, to my mind, is what has made Hinduism survive the rigours and rampage of time and history of onslaughts.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    jackprince, Kay and Abhijat like this.