The first turbaned U.S. Army officer in a generation

Ash

Country flag
Capt. Tejdeep Singh Rattan, a 31-year-old dentist, has become the first turbaned officer in a generation to graduate from the U.S. Army's officer basic training program.

Rattan graduated from Fort Sam Houston after securing an exception from the Army's uniform policy, which since 1981 has barred conspicuous religious articles of faith, such as headgears and beards.

Rattan retained his turban and beard during his training in the Army's Health Professions Scholarship Program, but would have been required to remove them before starting active duty. He requested a waiver from the army, which granted his request as an individual exception.

In a statement issued through the Sikh Coalition, which advocated on his behalf,, Rattan said, "I am overjoyed to serve my country, work with my fellow soldiers and to have completed basic training."

Another soldier, Dr. Kamaljeet Singh Kalsi, who completes his emergency medicine fellowship this summer, has also secured a waiver.

Turbaned Sikhs have served in the U.S. Army since World War I, but new rules barred beards and turbans in 1984. Those recruited before the new policy went into effect were allowed to retain their beards

Little India - Turban High

Blackwater

hope he has not been termed as ""ARAB"" by his colleague in U.S army

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
is he still serving?? i am sure he must have left the army becoz of racism
There is a sense of camaraderie in the Army, so I doubt what you're saying is true.

Anyway, at least as of Jul 2013, he was serving. as per this article, which google dates as Jul 2013.

He began his service in 2010 as an Army dentist at Fort Drum, but was deployed to Afghanistan in March 2011 through October 2011, where he served in the southern part of the country, most notably at the Forward Operating Base. In recognition of Captain Rattan's superior service to the United States in Afghanistan, he was awarded the Army Commendation Medal and the NATO Medal.

Following his return from deployment in Afghanistan, Captain Rattan was re-stationed at Fort Drum, NY, where he currently continues to serve as a general dentist at the Stone Dental Clinic.
Captain Tejdeep Singh Rattan

Captain Tejdeep Singh Rattan - a set on Flickr

Blackwater

Global Defence

New threads

Articles