The End of the Chinese Dream

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The End of the Chinese Dream

As China's economy continues to trend downward, Beijing's elites are sparking a new, palpable frustration in the general population.

BY CHRISTINA LARSON | DECEMBER 21, 2011

BEIJING – In June, a Chinese friend of mine who grew up in the northern industrial city of Shenyang and recently graduated from university moved to Beijing to follow his dream -- working for a media company. He has a full-time job, but the entry-level pay isn't great and it's tough to make ends meet. When we had lunch recently, he brought up his housing situation, which he described as "not ideal." He was living in a three-bedroom apartment split by seven people, near the Fourth Ring Road -- the outer orbit of the city. Five of his roommates were young women who went to work each night at 11 p.m. and returned around 4 a.m. "They say they are working the overnight shift at Tesco," the British retailer, but he was dubious. One night he saw them entering a KTV Club wearing lots of makeup and "skirts much shorter than my boxers" and, tellingly, proceeding through the employee entrance. "So they are prostitutes," he concluded. "I feel a little uncomfortable."

But when he tallied his monthly expenses and considered his lack of special connections, or guanxi, in the city, either to help boost his paycheck or to find more comfortable but not more expensive housing, he figured he'd stick out the grim living situation. "I have come here to be a journalist -- it is my goal, and I do not want to go back now. But it seems like it's harder than it used to be."

When I asked how his colleagues and former classmates were getting along, he thought about it for a moment and then replied that some were basically in the same lot as him, "but many of my friends have parents in Beijing, and they can save money to live with them. If your family is already established here, it helps a lot." After a moment, he added: "And some of them have rich parents who have already bought them their own apartments -- and cars."

Despite China's astonishing economic growth, it has gotten harder for people like my friend to get by in the big city. His is not a particularly lucrative profession. Like many in Beijing, he cannot count on his annual pay to keep pace with China's official rates of inflation -- which many economists suspect are lowballed anyway. (The consumer-price-index inflation rate is considered so sensitive that the State Council approves it before it is released publicly.) Even so, every month this year consumer-price-index inflation has exceeded the official average monthly target of 4 percent. Last month state media hailed it as good news that it was, officially, just 4.2 percent.

Anyone in Beijing can point to examples of friends who see rents hiked 10 percent or more in one year. The prices at restaurants keep going up, even as portions are getting noticeably smaller. Throw in the loss of intangibles that money can't buy -- like air quality and food safety -- and you begin to understand the grumbling among some of Beijing's non-wealthy folks that their standard of living seems to be diminishing, even as the national GDP surges ahead at a heady 9 percent.

Could it possibly be true that a swath of people in China's big cities is downwardly mobile, if one compared wages with living expenses? I asked Patrick Chovanec, an associate professor at Tsinghua University's School of Economics and Management in Beijing. Alas, he told me, it's difficult to find much clarification in China's famously fudgeable official statistics. (For instance, the official unemployment rate only includes individuals with urban hukous, or permanent residency permits -- which excludes the most economically vulnerable.) Still, he noted: "If you perceive that you're losing buying power -- or have rising but unmet expectations -- that's when people get upset."¦ And this country, for a country growing at over 9 percent, is in a foul mood."

Indeed, there is a palpable sense of frustration in Beijing, especially compared with the last time I lived here in 2008. You can see it on the dour faces on the metro, hear it in raspy voices at dinner conversations, and especially sense it in the new gruffness of taxi drivers, who no longer think ferrying people around town for 10 yuan, about $1.60, is such a good deal for them (their base fare hasn't been raised). Still, it's hard to rage against abstractions. It's a lot easier to fume at obnoxious people.

No wonder, then, that in 2011 the Chinese media and Sina Weibo (China's version of Twitter) buzzed nearly every month with salacious reports of China's Paris Hilton-types -- the sons and daughters of the wealthy and political elite, dangling opulent accessories and impoverished judgment -- behaving badly in BMWs and Audis and typically expecting to get away with it, to boot.

The year began with the trial of Li Qiming, a university student in Hebei province who in October 2010 was drunk-driving and slammed into two other college students out skating, killing one of them. When he saw what had happened, he tried to speed away, but the campus guard stopped his vehicle. When questioned, the first thing he is widely reported to have blurted out was, "My father is Li Gang." Li Gang is the district's deputy police chief.

Then there was 15-year-old Li Tianyi, the son of a high-ranking army official, who had no license when he got behind the wheel of a BMW in September. While carousing the streets of Beijing, he grew frustrated when another car was blocking his path. He reportedly got out of the car and assaulted the other driver while either he or a friend shouted, "Who will dare call the police?" Behind his car's windshield was a temporary driving pass for the Great Hall of the People, China's parliament building.

And earlier this month, a student at Beijing Film Academy got into a fight over where he could park his Audi, the telltale car of choice of Chinese officials. After a brawl in the parking lot, a cleaner, a 43-year-old migrant worker from nearby Hebei province, was taken to a hospital, where he died.

Perhaps the closest female equivalent was the lightning-rod saga of Guo "Meimei," a petite 20-year-old with a heart-shaped face and big brown eyes who took to posting photos of herself driving her "little horse" (a white Maserati) and her "little bull" (an orange Lamborghini) on her Weibo microblog. On her account, she claimed to be a general manager at the Red Cross of China, one of the country's largest and most politically connected charities. Her luxury goods, not to mention horrible judgment, were widely taken by readers as signs of corruption at the charity. (In the months following the scandal, which reached its zenith in June, donations to the charity dropped off precipitously). Later, it came out that she held no such position and was rumored instead to be either a mistress or relative of someone at the Red Cross.

The anger in China at such dilettantes misbehaving runs deeper than, say, America's love-hate relationship with Lindsay Lohan. As Michael Anti, a popular Chinese blogger and political commentator, told me, "The rich are becoming a dynasty." Now people in China recognize that "you get your position not by degree or hard work, but by your daddy." Anti added that though corruption and guanxi are hardly new concepts in China, there was previously a greater belief in social mobility through merit. "Before, university was a channel to help you to ruling class. Now the ruling class just promote themselves."

There is a dark sense that something has changed. "It's not simply income equality that bothers people -- that's a misconception," Chovanec told me. "When Jack Ma makes a billion dollars for starting a successful company, that's OK."¦ It's inequality of privilege. It's how people make their money. There's now a whole class of people getting wealthy because of who they are, not what they do -- and they follow a different set of rules."

In today's China, the abilities to buy and sell real estate and to win government contracts are among the greatest drivers of wealth, and it's those who are already wealthy and well-connected who have access to these opportunities. If their children are lazy or dull, they can use their stature to create opportunities and positions for them, cutting short the trajectories of more able aspirants. Social status is becoming further entrenched because, as Chovanec notes, "Government is so pervasive in China's economy."¦ Government has great power in determining winners and losers, so who you are and who you know does more than anything else to determine success." And those at the top increasingly act above the law. "Privilege begets money, and money begets privilege."

This, of course, runs counter to the optimistic, popular fairy tale of China over the past 30 years, duly promoted by the ruling Communist Party, that a rising tide and roaring economy inevitably lifts all boats; that the future will be better, materially, than the past; that hard work will get you ahead; and that education is the great leveler. Call it the Chinese dream.

"Well, that used to be true, pretty much -- but not now," reflects Qiao Mu, a professor at Beijing Foreign Studies University. "Take myself. I was born in 1970 into a poor family in west China. There wasn't yet a large class of rich people in China, so the opportunities were more open. At that time, I could depend on my hard work and study to advance. I could change my position in society." But today, he says, sighing deeply, "It's much more difficult for these young guys, my students. You have to rely on your background, and those who already have connections and wealth help themselves and their children."¦ The condition is getting worse, not better."

Or, as my friend, the struggling reporter, put it: "People no longer believe you can win by working hard and honestly in China."
The End of the Chinese Dream - By Christina Larson | Foreign Policy
If this report is representative of the reality that is gripping China, one is worried that all this boom that one talks about in China and is expected to happen in India, is not really that rosy.

While it is indeed good for the Nation in terms of statistical oneupmanship, is it really what the general population is looking forward to, be it China or India?

If this is the situation in cities, what would it be in the rural areas?

Any views?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
There is nothing to hide. We dont fudge figures. Independent bodies who make assessments, independent media which reports any findings. Even when something was wrong with the export figures, it was caught and government acknowledged it. In China, we know that local prefectures bloat up growth figures to save their necks.

Let me tell you guys about their factories. At the height of Chinese exports to the west, India and Indians were of the lowest priority, probably unwelcome as they didnt earn good profit from Indians who are very tough and hard bargainers. All that changed when recession hit and you have the Chinese rushing to Indians. They attend all the trade fairs in India and throw the "red carpet" to Indian visitors to China.

When I went to Mumbai recently, the trade fair was half filled by Chinese. Just before the trade fair that i participated in, there was an exclusive China Trade Fair that was held in that same venue. The Chinese now find India as the market to be in. They dont mind selling cheap but they want to sell just to keep their factories running. You cannot imagine the price they offer. Something that i import from Taiwan at say $15.00, they offer $10..and yes quality sucks.

The CPC will try hard to make sure they suppress all discontent. I dont think they will be able to survive another Tianenemen which could be even bigger than the last one.

Expect the Chinese posters here to deny all this. They can afford to do that. They get their fill of 50 cents :D

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I can't find that article, but it said that China was trying to fire up the domestic market to cover losses in export.

Yusuf,

I think you said you visited China.

Any idea about the situation in their rural areas?

Iamanidiot

I can't find that article, but it said that China was trying to fire up the domestic market to cover losses in export.

Yusuf,

Sir,I think it will be in China economy thread.Seems to be going up the ladder in China is quite tough

Tianshan

hahaha there was a thread on this forum recently by asianobserve, that said china economy would collapse before 2012...

only a few more days to wait!!!

times are hard for some people, but you cannot simply extrapolate small experiences to entire country. illogical.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

Yusuf,

Sir didnt visit their rural areas. I was short on time. But yes the working conditions in their factories are not good. I mean very much third world like. The wages are not that good. For instance my Principle in Taiwan who opened a factory in China as well to take advantage of cheap labor told me the what takes him $800-1000 on a Taiwanese worker in his factory costs him less than $300.

The little that i saw of the rural side is just like India. The thing about the Chinese is that they will not allow "a Dharavi" in "a Mumbai" and move it out somewhere far.

Reactions: Ray

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It is good to learn of China from others than hear the usual Chinese propagandists.

Because one wants to know the truth and not fantasies.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
hahaha there was a thread on this forum recently by asianobserve, that said china economy would collapse before 2012...

only a few more days to wait!!!

times are hard for some people, but you cannot simply extrapolate small experiences to entire country. illogical.
Maybe he was in the auctioneer mood.... Going......Going........Gone! :)

All said and done, one can't deny that China's boom is fading and the woes are increasing.

That is what I presume the FP article has indicated.

Notwithstanding, what is the your take on the situation in urban areas of China and of the rural areas. Is the situation very pleasing and all is well and on the upswing?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
It is good to learn of China from others than hear the usual Chinese propagandists.

Because one wants to know the truth and not fantasies.
Its really difficult to get the truth as the propaganda machine is really well oiled. They didnt want their dissenter to get a Nobel. We cannot expect much of truth from them.

lemontree

Professional
I feel the article just shows the woes of most countries - unequal distribution of wealth, increasing prices, etc. Does that mean Chinese econmy is downward - hardly. China may fudge figure for the world, but I am sure they have the real figures in some book somewhere and the CCP knows what they are doing.

They have become the world's strongest economy - now surely they must be doing something right!

sukhish

there is comparison between a democracy and authorutarian rule, yes there economy is growing, but what about people. India is slow but slow and patience is what you get from democracy, where every India is vetted and vetted and only then implemented. china never behaved like a mature state, and reason is because they don't have democracy. eventually india will catch up.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I feel the article just shows the woes of most countries - unequal distribution of wealth, increasing prices, etc. Does that mean Chinese econmy is downward - hardly. China may fudge figure for the world, but I am sure they have the real figures in some book somewhere and the CCP knows what they are doing.

They have become the world's strongest economy - now surely they must be doing something right!
Offcourse they are doing well. No one denies that. Look at the way they have developed their infrastructure. But the way the 50 cent army feeds the world about them being on a different plane altogether is not accurate.

Captain, they waste their resources too. Ghost towns come up just to keep spending and adding to GDP. That gives employment. They demolish and rebuild routinely again to keep construction booming. I will give them credit for what they have achieved, but then they hide a lot too.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I believe building infrastructure such a buildings etc goes into the GDP calculations and so ghost towns are good for statistics.

Of course, China has done well for itself.

However, that they are the greatest economy is another financial and statistical skulduggery.

What is the real value of the Chinese currency? Fudged values can work wonders!

Happiness index?

If one cannot find adequate accommodation, value for food, and the living index beyond the reach of the commoner, what is the use of a great GDP?

If one saw my first post, I was wanting to know is India's dream to have a great GDP the end of our woes? Have we nothing to learn from China and its present situation?

Last edited:

SpArK

SORCERER
China gives man 9 years in prison for arguing for democracy

BEIJINGA Chinese court sentenced a veteran democracy activist Friday to nine years' imprisonment for inciting subversion, after he wrote four essays arguing for democracy.

The sentence given to Chen Wei is thought to be the most severe punishment handed down in a crackdown on dissent this year.
He was convicted of "inciting subversion of state power" over the essays, which he wrote and published online, said one of his lawyers.

Chen was one of hundreds of dissidents, rights activists and protest organizers swept up in a crackdown on dissent from earlier this year, when the ruling Communist Party sought to stifle potential protests inspired by anti-authoritarian uprisings across the Arab world.

Attorney Liang Xiaojun said the trial at a court in the city of Suining in southwestern China lasted about two and a half hours and that the sentence was handed down 30 minutes after the trial concluded.

"We pleaded not guilty. He only wrote a few essays. We presented a full defense of the case, but we were interrupted often, and none of what we said was accepted by the court," Liang said.
Liang said that after the sentence was handed down, Chen said: "I protest, I am innocent. The governance of democracy must win, autocracy must die."

What's wrong' with free speech?
Chen's wife Wang Xiaoyan denounced the punishment.

"He is innocent and the punishment was too harsh. The court did not allow him to defend himself and he was completely deprived of his right to free speech," Wang said by phone from Suining. "What's wrong with a person freely expressing his ideas?"
Chen was among those who signed the "Charter 08" manifesto for democratic reform that was co-written by Liu Xiaobo, the jailed dissident who won the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize.

Two other dissidents from Sichuan detained at about the same as Chen — Ran Yunfei and Ding Mao — have been released.
Chen, 42, previously served time for participating in the 1989 Tiananmen Square pro-democracy demonstrations in Beijing, where he was attending college.

In 1994, Chen was sentenced to five years' imprisonment for "counterrevolutionary propaganda and incitement," according to the court indictment for his subversion charge.
Friday's sentence handed down to Chen appears to be the heaviest penalty meted out in relation to this year's crackdown, said Wang Songlian, a researcher with the Hong Kong-based advocacy group, Chinese Human Rights Defenders.

"This severe punishment against an activist, caught up in the Jasmine crackdown, shows how the Chinese government's nerves are still jittery," Wang, the Hong Kong researcher, said.
"All its latest moves, its attempts to control its microblogs, its crackdown on activists, show it is increasing tightening on freedom of expression and other civil liberties," she said.

Others rounded up in this year's crackdown who have been punished include Beijing activist Wang Lihong, who was sentenced to nine months in jail in September for staging a protest on behalf of other activists, and Yang Qiuyu, a Beijing activist who was sentenced to two years of re-education through labor.
Before the trial, his wife said Chen was being prosecuted for "nothing but his essays."
"I hope to see him in the courtroom," she added. "I haven't seen him since he was detained."

China's party-run courts rarely find in favor of defendants in trials for political charges.

The Chinese government's hostility to political dissent is likely to grow next year as the Communist Party's prepares for a leadership handover.

The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.

Tianshan

Notwithstanding, what is the your take on the situation in urban areas of China and of the rural areas. Is the situation very pleasing and all is well and on the upswing?
not the best, but not bad either. of course it varies from person to person.

would i like more political rights or less censorship on the internet? would i like a more accountable legal system? sure i would.

however, the most important thing is to increase the average standard of living relative to last year. if it is rising for the average person then that is good, if falling then not good. simple.

that to me is more important than anything else. if our government can deliver this i will be happy.

of course, the bigger our economy become... the more difficult it is to grow. challenging.

debasree

Country flag
the bigger their economy will be ,the near they will be for busting and then dooooooooooooooooooom he he he

ice berg

Captain, they waste their resources too. Ghost towns come up just to keep spending and adding to GDP. That gives employment. They demolish and rebuild routinely again to keep construction booming. I will give them credit for what they have achieved, but then they hide a lot too.

Between unemployment and get paid, even it is to domolish and rebuild. What will you choose?
Any job is better than no job at all. Nobody is forcing you to do those shitty jobs.

That CCP is trying to make things look good, isnt something new. Some achievements speaks for itself.
Should be possible to have a balanced discussion, instead of the usual China bashing or glorifeing China.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Job is good.

Job without food and decent food and shelter is good?

And empty stomach and given in to slavery, what is good?

China keen on statistics is making all slaves to their national greed!

\

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Between unemployment and get paid, even it is to domolish and rebuild. What will you choose?
Any job is better than no job at all. Nobody is forcing you to do those shitty jobs.

That CCP is trying to make things look good, isnt something new. Some achievements speaks for itself.
Should be possible to have a balanced discussion, instead of the usual China bashing or glorifeing China.
Where is the bashing? What sense does it make to destroy and rebuild just to make sure a few people are employed and keep their mouth shut? It means the CPC has no clue on how else to provide jobs for its millions of people. Come on who are we kidding here. You have been hogging steel like no tomorrow in your lame projects which have no economic sense. But yes the rest of the world got hurt because of the rise in steel prices. And whats more, my state got screwed of its iron ore because of your demand for steel. I dont blame your country for my state, but mentioning it as an effect of your countries dubious construction spree.

ice berg

If this report is representative of the reality that is gripping China, one is worried that all this boom that one talks about in China and is expected to happen in India, is not really that rosy.

While it is indeed good for the Nation in terms of statistical oneupmanship, is it really what the general population is looking forward to, be it China or India?

If this is the situation in cities, what would it be in the rural areas?

Any views?

There is always some people who are left behind. This is not new.
The question is not wether this is good or bad, but how to create a safety net.
So far few countries has managed to do that. Even among developed countries.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles