The Dragon's Spear: China's Asymmetric Strategy

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
RealClearWorld - The Dragon's Spear: China's Asymmetric Strategy
Chinese military strategists have for millenniums been fascinated by asymmetric methods of warfare. China has no illusions about its military inferiority vis-à-vis the United States and knows that the status is likely to endure for at least two decades.

As such the PLA has been developing a full range of asymmetric strategies to deter the US until its military reaches maturity.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
After read beginning, you can throw this paper into rubbish bin. The author cannot even make the basic right: the missile which is supposed to be able to hit carriers is not DF21A but DF21D.
A minor error really. They are both two-stage, solid-propellant, single-warhead medium-range ballistic missile (MRBM) in the Dong Feng series, are they not? Can you comment on the rest of the article: anti-sat and cruise missiles, lasers, attack submarines, stealth fast-attack missile craft, cyberwarfare .... and the whole concept of asymmetrical warfare?

CCTV

A minor error really. They are both two-stage, solid-propellant, single-warhead medium-range ballistic missile (MRBM) in the Dong Feng series, are they not? Can you comment on the rest of the article: anti-sat and cruise missiles, lasers, attack submarines, stealth fast-attack missile craft, cyberwarfare .... and the whole concept of asymmetrical warfare?
It is just another garbage aticle to brain wash their own people.
It's propose is to make people believe China can only do those "asymmetrical " thing. So, the real conclusion from the aticle is that west/US is still far head of China.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
It is just another garbage aticle to brain wash their own people.
It's propose is to make people believe China can only do those "asymmetrical " thing. So, the real conclusion from the aticle is that west/US is still far head of China.
When Chinese on DFI chime in to criticize an article with words like "rubbish" and "garbage", the value and credibility of the article increase in my mind. Just something I have learned here. Do either of you have a substantive criticism of the arguments put forward by the author? His conclusion is even more comprehensive than you say.
While the United States will maintain military superiority for the foreseeable future, China's asymmetric capabilities have the potential to mitigate this advantage. This could have a positive effect in the sense that both great powers deter each other. China and the United States have grown increasingly economic interdependent, sharing many common interests. This lucrative relationship may reduce the chance for tension. However, one should remember, in both world wars of the previous century, Germany was Britain's largest trade partner

Also, the author's background is unique.
Loro Horta is a graduate of the People's Liberation Army National Defense University senior officers' course, the US Naval Post Graduate School and the US National Defense University. He has won several awards for his research on Asian security issues.
Really, guys, put a little more effort into your posts.

CCTV

When Chinese on DFI chime in to criticize an article with words like "rubbish" and "garbage", the value and credibility of the article increase in my mind. Just something I have learned here. Do either of you have a substantive criticism of the arguments put forward by the author? His conclusion is even more comprehensive than you say.

Also, the author's background is unique.

Really, guys, put a little more effort into your posts.
Well, it is the main thing the guy tried to tell you.
Again , believe what you want to believe.:rofl:

BTW, we have heard too many speeches like " China will not have this,...China will not able to do that...China will fall in 5,10 ,20, 30..years.." From Nobel price winners, western politicians

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Well, it is the main thing the guy tried to tell you.
Again , believe what you want to believe.:rofl:
I try the weigh the evidence and facts as they are presented. Words like "rubbish" and "garbage" and silly emoticons are neither.

CCTV

I try the weigh the evidence and facts as they are presented. Words like "rubbish" and "garbage" and silly emoticons are neither.
The evidence is their own words.
The propose of this article is clear.
So, why it is not rubbish .

For example , do you think "superior " US can win China in Asia ?

W.G.Ewald

Professional
The evidence is their own words.
The propose of this article is clear.
So, why it is not rubbish .

For example , do you think "superior " US can win China in Asia ?
Let's define "win." I do not believe US can conquer China, and would have no benefit to do so. I believe the US can, with its east Asian allies, counter the threat of a territorially aggressive China.

CCTV

Let's define "win." I do not believe US can conquer China, and would have no benefit to do so. I believe the US can, with its east Asian allies, counter the threat of a territorially aggressive China.
LoL, conquer China is to far,
Let's say " save Japan from China", can US able to do that ?

Do you think any country in Asia will let US use they as base?

If US have this kind of ability , then there should nothing happening in SCS and DiaoYu island, and China will quiet as at 70's.

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Professional

I imagine when push comes to shove with China in the Philippines, the latter will want Uncle Sam back.

W.G.Ewald

Professional

CCTV

Well, this is where I can't waste anymore time with a megalomaniac.

Megalomania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It is a good address for you.
I was just asking you list a country that willing to allow US to use their base in a war between US and China, and how the base or the country can survive attack from China.
What it's benefit to do it , at what cost?

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
This message is hidden because CCTV is on your ignore list.
And he's desperate for attention. See, megalomania is often not easily differentiated from narcissism.

Historically [megalomania] was used as an old name for narcissistic personality disorder prior to the latter's first use by Heinz Kohut in 1968, and is used these days as a non-clinical equivalent
Op. cit.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles