The Devaswom boards of Kerala

parijataka

Country flag
Someone should file a RTI petition asking for details of where this money is going, surely maintaining these temples and the employees does not cost 1000 crores annually. Excess money should be used for the affairs of Hindu society such as helping poor Hindus, deserving Hindu students, etc not as income for the state government. Else state governments should start using the collections from Churches and mosques as state income. Similar situation applies to Hindu temples in all four southern states.

Note that 42 public sector companies in kerala together make Rs 200 crores annually.

Managing Gods' wealth: Kerala's four Devaswoms together earn Rs 1000 crore annually

KOCHI: It may not be the best of comparisons, and it does give an unflattering picture of the state's public sector. But then the muchvaunted PSUs can't really hope to compete with Gods.

Well, here is it - if the 42 public sector undertakings in the state together make Rs 200 crore a year in revenues, the four devaswom boards can boast of Rs 1,000 crore in annual revenues.

The richest devaswom is, undoubtedly, Guruvayur Devaswom, followed by Travancore, Malabar and Kochi. Sree Guruvayurappan Temple has total assets worth Rs 2,500 crore and makes about Rs 400 crore in both cash and gold annually, according to unofficial estimates.

The Travancore Devaswom Board (TDB), which manages about 1,240 temples, closely follows Guruvayur. It has assets worth roughly Rs 700 crore, according to official sources, and has no accurate revenue figures. Of this about 25 temples make money for the upkeep of the rest, topped by Sabarimala hill shrine which rakes in Rs 200 crore in annual revenues. This is followed by Chettikulangara Devi Temple that brings in Rs 100 crore annually, and Ettumanoor Siva Temple with about Rs 60 crore.

"From the Rs 200 crore we generate from the Sabarimala temple, Rs 100 crore is spent on other temples under the board," said a TDB official.

Only about 100 temples under TDB can manage on their own. However, assets each temple receives as donations and gifts are kept in safe custody. Gold and silver ornaments, precious stones, and other assets of these temples are kept under double lock and round-the-clock security in strong rooms under 18 sub-groups of the board.

But over the past 15 years, the TDB has not been able to verify the assets kept in these strong rooms. The demand for periodic inspection and verification has not been done due to the lack of an efficient system to manage the assets.

The Malabar Devaswom Board (MDB), meanwhile, tops in the list of the number of temples under its management at 1,337, and comes third in revenue terms, making about Rs 80 crore annually.

While figures for individual temples are not available, Kadambuzha Sree Parvathi Temple is considered the richest deity under its administration. Sources at the MDB said that there has been at least a 30% increase in revenues annually.

Temples of 26 taluks in Kozhikode, Kannur, Palakkad, Thrissur and Malappuram districts come under the MDB. The area has been divided into five divisions, namely Kasargod, Thalassery, Kozhikode, Malappuram, and Palakkad. Most of the temples bank on special offerings to meet their expenses.

The Cochin Devaswom Board, which manages 403 temples, brings up the rear with revenues totalling Rs 50 crore. As with other devaswoms, only a handful of temples under CDB can meet their expenses. With an annual income of around Rs 6 crore, Chottanikkara Devi Temple tops thelist.

Vishwarupa

Country flag
Re: Managing Gods' wealth: Kerala's four Devaswoms together earn Rs 1000 crore annual

Why government is auditing only hindu temples & publishing income? why are they not relieving churches & mosque incomes.

I feel churches & mosques are more richer than temples in some part of India.

Oracle

Re: Managing Gods' wealth: Kerala's four Devaswoms together earn Rs 1000 crore annual

Pari - What is your problem? You always post news about such kind.

It's not nice knowing a fellow Bangalorean has such hate for other communities.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag

Unfortunately for you, Oracle, not everyone from Bangalore is so disconnected from realities. And your questioning his motives are ample evidence of what kind of democrat you are.

Oracle

Unfortunately for you, Oracle, not everyone from Bangalore is so disconnected from realities. And your questioning his motives are ample evidence of what kind of democrat you are.
Not an idiot/communal/twat like you I guess. Keep your views to your toilet. Don't lecture me. I am much more informed, than you can ever be.

natarajan

Truth is bitter always ,those who cant argue will start blabbering and start personal conversation.If true secularism means it should be the way Girishbharath says .Simple things if you feel temple donations are taken by secular netas and spent on general or to their pockets ,dont worry or feel churches or mosques are not taken over by netas but just stop donating or
putting money into hundial ,if all hindus stop putting money then temples would be given back to traditional trusts and then
you people can donate into hundials .We have solution in our hands rather than dragging other communities because netas themselves hindus .What we need is will power and do it as a mass like protest done by islam against movie,we need to
spread awareness to achieve this.You can sponsor a hindu child for education or food instead of stashing in hundials

Last edited:

Oracle

Truth is bitter always ,those who cant argue will start blabbering and start personal conversation.If true secularism means it should be the way Girishbharath says
Oh! Mr. Nat-A-Rajan, please provide solutions other than shooting in the dark. People from your regions are known to be idiots. For a change, try to change that image.

parijataka

Country flag

Pari - What is your problem? You always post news about such kind.
It's not nice knowing a fellow Bangalorean has such hate for other communities.
Oracle, being an outsider you hv no idea what is happening in the state of Kar or even Bang (just as I can not claim to hv as good a knowledge about say WB or NE than you). And BTW I do not hv hate for other communities as you say, just feel that Hindus are being short changed by current laws and politics.

parijataka

Country flag

Oh! Mr. Nat-A-Rajan, please provide solutions other than shooting in the dark. People from your regions are known to be idiots. For a change, try to change that image.
Well, you are showing your prejudices (under influence perhaps ?).

EDIT: Oracle you are either stoned or drunk or your boss, who is not particularly nice to you, is a Tamilian... :)

Last edited:

natarajan

Its better than your region

Oracle

Oracle, being an outsider you hv no idea what is happening in the state of Kar or even Bang (just as I can not claim to hv as good a knowledge about say WB or NE than you). And BTW I do not hv hate for other communities as you say, just feel that Hindus are being short changed by current laws and politics.
I am in Bangalore for the last 5 years. I am educated, informed. Please pass me your credentials then we'll take this conversation further. Don't shoot in the dark. I am not your gf.

Well, you are showing your prejudices (under influence perhaps ?).
Influence? All Kannadigas I know hate Tamils. Need influence for that?

Its better than your region
It's not. You are a frog of the well, called TN. Most of them are known to be idiots.

Btw, Pari - I am my own Boss. Just shared some details with an Admin of this forum. :)

Last edited:

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag

Don't respond to this drunk called Oracle.

parijataka

Country flag

I am in Bangalore for the last 5 years. I am educated, informed. Please pass me your credentials then we'll take this conversation further. Don't shoot in the dark. I am not your gf.
Influence? All Kannadigas I know hate Tamils. Need influence for that?
It's not. You are a frog of the well, called TN. Most of them are known to be idiots.
  • I do not wish to know your credentials just as you need not know mine to counter an argument. There is no need to get personal on a public forum, unless of course you've run out of arguments!
  • Under influence as in under the influence of alcohol etc
  • All Kannadigas hates Tamils...??? Who told you that. Kannadigas do not want their culture and language to be swamped by anyone whether it is Bongs or Hindi or Tamil speakers.

G'night.

Oracle

• I do not wish to know your credentials just as you need not know mine to counter an argument. There is no need to get personal on a public forum, unless of course you've run out of arguments!
  • Under influence as in under the influence of alcohol etc
  • All Kannadigas hates Tamils...??? Who told you that. Kannadigas do not want their culture and language to be swamped by anyone whether it is Bongs or Hindi or Tamil speakers.

G'night.
#1. Well, you said I am an outsider. FYI, I am not an outsider anywhere in this country. That shows your intentions.

#2. Credentials are important as many in here know mine. I don't know yours. You might be a happy go lucky kid of 13. Useless then arguing with you.

#3. Under influence? I have said this many times. I earn my own bread and butter. If you don't, that is not my concern. Grow up and start earning.

#4. I have seen it. From everyday shopping to everyday chai stalls. The thing that Kannadigas hate most is Tamils, and everything about Tamils. Don't pretend goody. Be a man, accept the truth.

Very GN.

Just to add a point: I do not hate Tamils. I have many good Tamil friends. Very intelligent these people are. I just cannot stand idiots and communals.

And nobody hates Tamils more than Kannadigas.

Last edited:

balai_c

Wow, to sum it up, funds from Hindu temples and other religious institution basically run much of Kerala , but ironically , "minority" religious organisations are exempted from identical scrutiny, because of "not offending vulnerable minorities"!! Wah wah kya baat! Only in India, it truly happens only in India! What a effete race!

Oracle

Wow, to sum it up, funds from Hindu temples and other religious institution basically run much of Kerala , but ironically , "minority" religious organisations are exempted from identical scrutiny, because of "not offending vulnerable minorities"!! Wah wah kya baat! Only in India, it truly happens only in India! What a effete race!
These things needs to be banned. All money from all religious institutions should be accounted for and spent in the development of the country as a whole. Inclusive development. God fcuking doesn't need our money, poor people do.

parijataka

Country flag

Situation is same in all four southern states. Hindu temples are administered by state govt while mosques and churches and other places of worship are not. The bigger temples are a rich source of revenue to the state govt. Laws generally called Hindu Charitable Endowments Act or similar were passed in these states that enabled the state govt to take over the running of temples under what is called the Muzrai department. Among the good things this BJP govt has done in Kar is to release some important temples from the clutches of the muzrai department.

Oracle

Pari - I might be an idiot. I sure can be. I am an open book.

I believe so much good can be done, if we start looking at perspectives outside the prism of our religious lenses.

I support a kid through World Vision. No, I am not preaching or trying to show off. The letters I get from that kid brings tears into my eyes.

And it's just INR 800 per year. I try to give my bit to the society. Small, but I try.

Have a heart, man!

Last edited:

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag

^
Just FYI

World Vision is a Christian organization

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles