The Decline of U.S. Naval Power

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Ray, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

There is no doubt that if the US wishes to project her influence, it is basically through promptness and through the seas since the adversaries are way away from her shores and she is on a limb.

There is no doubt that the US supremacy is being seen on the decline. The reason is not because they are downsizing their forces and having budget cuts, it is because they embarked on disastrous wars in Iraq and Afghanistan where they are appearing to be losing.

None admires a loser.

In addition, China is on the rise and the US is unable to contest her, even in the Seas adjoining China where the US and her allies have immense strategic interests.A two penny ha'penny nation like North Korea too is appearing capable of co,cking the snoot at the US.

Therefore, it maybe time for the US to reassess what is her strategic objectives are and how she will translate it into concrete action.

Is the refurbishing the US Navy and her 'reach' essential to translate her strategic goals, as also to assist keeping China in check?

Will a stronger US Navy ensure that China is controlled in her hegemonic pursuits in Asia in general and her neighbour in particular?

That is the question that requires answers.

3. ace009

ace009 Freakin' Fighter fan Elite Member

A better question is, can the US Navy partner with other navies in the world to contain the mutual threats they all face? The potential partners are many - UK Royal Navy, French MN, German DM, Spanish and Italian navies in Europe, Japan, South Korea and Australia in the Pacific and India, Malayasia, Singapore, in South/ SE Asia and Israel, UAE and Saudi Arabia in Asia.

4. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

Expect no change in trends until Obama is out of office.

LETHALFORCE likes this.
  5. asianobserve

asianobserve Elite Member Elite Member

In SEA, US presence is not only desired it is demanded. Our neighbor Singapore only recently approevd the basing of US warships in its port. The Philippines is actively hosting American troops via "Balikatan." US troops are also stationed in Indonesia. In South Korea the resurgence of the North has awakened the importance of the US military. The same goes with Japan.

WE are working with the US to secure the Malacca Staright. Note that the bulk of Chinese oil imports still pass through this Staright, which will never be symphathetic to China when push comes to shove.

p.s. You know why practically nobody in the SEA likes China to supplant the US (although we like China;s cheap labor industry), becasue nobody like to change the status quo. We never had it so good in Asia than under US' dominance in the region. We don;t like to upset the balance and will resist any attmpt from anybody to change it. It does not help that China reared its ugly head too soon.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  6. asianobserve

On the contrary I think your current President is doing a better job at combating Al Qaeda than the gunghoish last President. I am one of those who belive that no President contributed much to the perception of US decline that the former US President. I know you may not agree with this assessment.

7. W.G.Ewald

I will only say Obama will take credit for the positive things Bush did, and blame Bush for his own failings. I don't think anything further is suitable for DFI.

8. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

IMHO, you should simply go ahead and speak your heart out.

We do quarrel a lot but we can also make up soon after things get heated up. Moreover, there will always be someone who will take offense in something.

For example, if I wanted to say 'women are sluts' [pardon my French; and no I do not agree with that], I'd rather say it using crafty words like, 'Frailty, thy name is woman!'

Here is a nice song, rather vulgar in insinuation, but very modest in presentation, that our readers might enjoy:

The Andrew Sisters - Bei Mir Bist Du Shein - YouTube

9. kickok1975

kickok1975 Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Be careful to use "we" to represent your personal opinion.

10. pmaitra

KickOk1975, you are right, when a poster is posting something, it could very well be his or her own opinion and one cannot go wrong speaking for himself. However, in this particular context, I am sure most countries around South China Sea feel threatened and bullied by PRC.

11. W.G.Ewald

Your comment and my first response actually had nothing to do with the article. The problem is cutting the budget for the USN.

FTA
    A nation with a debt of that magnitude is the pity.

12. W.G.Ewald

This more like it.

Andrews Sisters' "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy Of Company B" - YouTube

pmaitra likes this.
  13. W.G.Ewald

14. asianobserve

Fair enough, then please consider the reference "we" to include a disclaimer that the same is purely my personal opinion. But tell me Mr. China guy, are what I said about our neighborhood not correct?

pmaitra likes this.
  15. pmaitra

Great comeback. Good job! :)

16. kickok1975

Not really, Mr. Malay guy (since you called me China guy). Because not all your neighbors including your home country Malaysia have demonstrated they want to use Malay straight to block China's ocean rout. Most of SEA is benefit from trade with China. SAE countries just want to play games between major powers namely US and China. You want to benefit from both while maximize your individual interest. You will use US military to contain China but don’t want to fall as US puppet because you benefit more from a Chinese booming economy. You want to see neither of them become dominance power in SAE. Just like you said, you like cheap Chinese good maybe China’s huge market. SAE countries just trying to play a balanced geo game, am I right? I'm not blaming your strategy. It's actually pretty smart move for a group of small less powerful countries.

charlyondfi likes this.
  17. asianobserve

Thank you. We just don't like the equilibrium to change. We like it and it shows n our balance sheets. (The whole region)

18. kickok1975

You are probably comfortable for now. But not so several years ago during Bush administration when millions of Indonesian march on the street shouted with anti-US slogan. Or 20 years ago when Pilipino start driving US military out; or 40 years ago during Vietnam war.
    Geopolitics is ever changing. Today’s foe might be tomorrow’s ally. It’s not a problem if you personally affiliate more with US. But it will be a problem if your country doesn’t play this balance game well. In this regard, Singapore is far smarter than her neighbors. They are the biggest beneficiary of this geo game no wonder they are far more rich and prosperous than their SAE counterparts.

19. asianobserve

I already withdrew the post you quoted. And as in fact I appreciate your gracious understanding of our (my) sentiments for the region. China is such a wild card (unpredictable and very hungry for verything from resources, to prestige, to respect), we're not comfortable with what we're seeing. We were really taken aback by the overly aggressive treatment our neighbors get from China in the Spratlys issue. China is a bully.

Re Singapore, I appreciate what Lee did to it. But Singapore is a special case. It's very small and thus very easy to manage. Yet it is also very strategically located in terms of trade. But wihtout our energetic economy Singapore will not be as prosperous as it is right now.

20. asianobserve

BTW, just to illustrate the level of mistrust we have with China, even our ethnic Chinese often voice mistrust against Chinese. My friends say that mainland Chinese are not to be trusted especially if you don't know Mandarin.

21. kickok1975

I admit China is like a monster now for a lot of people regardless if they received biased or unbiased media propaganda. I just want to tell one point that most SAE are actually benefit more from China by maintaining a stable and balance relationship like Singapore did. Historically China has never invaded majority SAE countries like Japan did, or made any crimes at Japanese magnitude. On the contrary, most SAE economies were built by immigrant Chinese. China may look like a bully today. But this bully and a world wide bully called US both have its bright and ugly sides. Be careful to play with one bully to against another bully.