The Coast: And What to Do About It?

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Rage, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Rage

Rage DFI TEAM Stars and Ambassadors

Coastal Confab

In light of the bloody and destructive tsunami that struck Japan, here is a thread that will talk about how to protect our coast, what's going on on it and what we as a nation, and state can do about it:

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  3. Rage

In Conversation with the Environment Minister:

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  4. Rage

India has a coastline of about 7,525 km, including 5,425 km along the nine national coastal states of the mainland and about 2,100 km around the several the union territories. All the coastal states and territories are affected by coastal erosion. About 26% of the mainland coastline is seriously eroded and much of the coastline is actively retreating. Coastline erosion is particularly significant in the states of Karnataka, Maharashtra, and Goa. In these states, 50% of the 1,100 km of coastline is facing erosion; about 530 km are prone to erosion and 330 km require protection. Coastal fisheries, industrial dumping and a population explosion, in addition to the construction of harbors, seawalls and groynes along the coast have all contributed to the erosion of the coastline. In addition, Rapid industrial and commercial development along the coastal areas around these states, as well as several others such as Gujarat, Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh have contributed to the steady erosion of the coastline. Sea level rise in the Indian subcontinent is projected to be between 15 cm and 38 cm by the middle of the century.The rise in sea levels and the likely increased frequency and intensities of storms will further exacerbate the erosion problem in India, with serious economic and environmental consequences for these states.

Coastal erosion is responsible for the loss of land, houses, infrastructure, and business opportunities and poses a high risk to human well-being, economic development, and ecological integrity. It affects negatively the livelihood of costal communities, particularly poor households, and ultimately coastal economies. The annual land losses due to coastal erosion in India is estimated at around $127 million; potentially the impact could be more extensive and widespread in the period ahead as the coastline is increasingly subject to a wide range of economic development; many of which create conflicts and pressures on the already disturbed natural coastal environments. The erosion protection strategies applied on the Indian coastline often fail to preserve costal communities' assets and have severe environmental impact. They tend to focus on addressing the symptoms of erosion rather than the causes and essentially consist of ad hoc interventions using generic designs, such as, sea walls and revetments. These conventional rock protection structures focus on land erosion rather than beach erosion. They do not stop the erosion processes and further contribute to the degradation of the beaches and the social environment of the coastal zone.

Taken from the: India: MFF - Sustainable coastal protection and management investment program

5. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

As a frequent visitor to Vizag and Bapatla along the AP coast, I've seen the coastline recede first-hand, in sub-urban coastal parts. Natural and environmental factors aside, the huge demand for sand sends the people hunting for sand to the coasts. Now that there's increased policing over sand-mining on river-beds, there's even more mining along the coasts.

6. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

We need land. Especially coastal cities need space to expand. Gain some, lose some. If we look at the many reclaimed land from the coast in and around Mumbai, we will see that there have been compromises made. I commend Jairam Ramesh for his concerns, most of which are valid; the question is, for a country like India, can we decide how much investment to protect the environment is necessary vs how much is a luxury? This is something we all need to debate.

7. mayfair

mayfair Elite Member Elite Member

The first step would be to cease the destruction of mangroves and make sure that the denuded areas are replanted. Mangroves serve as barriers to coastal degradation. I wonder when we'll learn this simple fact.

8. Rage

I don't want to sound Nazi-istic, but I believe Lebensraum will be the biggest cause for concern for us in the future. One way to do that, of course, would be to gradually encroach upon Nepali land, but then we risk making an enemy of an already visceral ally. If it was me tho, I'd invade them. Both economically and infrastructurally/physically.

I know. I was in Kerala in Marrari in 2005, and then again in 2009, and witnessed a marked reduction in the coast line with all the new resorts and the landscaping they were doing; the same with Aakshi beach in Raigad, Maharashtra. Kerala's resorts are, for the most part, in tune with nature; but a place like Maharashtra, where land development is oftentimes haphazard and intense, I fear for what is going to happen in future. Same with the regions around Surat, in Gujarat.

This, though is a positive development:

Developers bank on Pakistan sand to build Mumbai dreams

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  9. GPM

GPM Tihar Jail Banned

Lots of politics in the technical matters.

Coastal erosion is a global problem. Of course some developement activities accerlerate it.

Mangrove clusters do stop erosion, but they cannot flourish except in shallow waters.

IF global warming is a truth , you can do nothimg.

I am an engineer and I have a very DIM opinion about coastal protection works. It is a losing battle. Humans just cannot match the colossal forces of nature.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  10. malluowl

malluowl Regular Member

I feel Jairam Ramesh is doing a good job policing the environment, Indian people should be more sensitive to their environment. Destroy the environment, destroy your future.

11. civfanatic

civfanatic Retired Moderator

I'd MUCH rather invade Sri Lanka.

We can use the Mahabharat and Ramayana as our cassus belli. If the Chinese can claim entire states based on nonsensical reasons why can't we?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011