The Book Recommendation Thread

Dinesh_Kumar

If you like bounty hunting and "Hunger Games", then a must read would be "Blood Red Road" by Moira Young.

praneetbajpaie

Tihar Jail
Banned
I am a thriller/mystery/detective fiction fanatic. Not into fantasy. Would prefer to gouge my eyes out if given romance novels.

sob

Mod
Country flag
@W.G.Ewald

Could you please recommend some books on the Civil War

Last edited by a moderator:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
@<a href="http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/member.php?u=9527" target="_blank">W.G.Ewald</a>

Two authors I recommend are Bruce Catton and Shelby Foote. The latter is interviewed in this video about the making if the film "Gettysburg."

W.G.Ewald

Professional
@W.G.Ewald

The best book I have ever seen:

THE PHOTOGRAPHIC HISTORY OF THE CIVIL WAR IN TEN VOLUMES

By HENRY W. ELSON PROFESSOR OF HISTORY, OHIO UNIVERSITY

First published in 1911. Recent editions are of much lower quality.

sob

Mod
Country flag
Two authors I recommend are Bruce Catton and Shelby Foote. The latter is interviewed in this video about the making if the film "Gettysburg."

Thanks will try to see if Amazon has e-books of these authors.

nrupatunga

Locked On (novel) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Excellent. Much better than Alistair Maclean in Golden Gate, but pales in comparison with the Guns of Navarone.

Genre: Thriller

The book is about what would happen if a crazy, clever fool gets his hand on Pakistani nukes :lol:

Tom clancy has a earlier book on indo-pak saga. "Line of control". Some how i actually didn't like it. It maybe because, on various occasions i felt it went far away from ground realities. Like a hindu family getting killed by militants would ensure that the hindu majority in the country would press for war. Also, it somehow tries to say that india "manufactures" a cause for nuclear war.

Actually i liked his 'Acts of war" book. It talks about various communities in west asia esp levant. How things could go wrong etc. Story basically about kurds.

nrupatunga

If one wants to enjoy geo-political conversation & modern history (loaded with real statistics and analysis), there are hardly any contemporary substitutes for Niall Ferguson, one of fav. authors.

Grab any of the following, I have loved these & am sure, most people would:

Empire: How Britain Made the Modern World

Civilization: The West and the Rest

The Ascent of Money: A Financial History of the World

Empire: The Rise and Demise of the British World Order and the Lessons for Global Power

Colossus: The Rise And Fall Of The American Empire
Thanks. Will certainly read them esp first one.

nrupatunga

The Day of the Jackal, a gripping thriller by Frederick Forsyth. The story starts with an assassination attempt on the French President (which really happened). The novel is extremely detailed in describing the methodologies used by the assassin and the French police and security services. Highly recommended.

While you are at it also check out The Fist of God, again by Forsyth, which follows the undercover missions of an SAS Major during the Gulf War. Again highly recommended.
Another Forsyth novel I read was The Afghan, not as good as the above two novels but still I m a fan of Forsyth. :)
Day of jackal anyday. :thumb: Even his odessa file was nice. But even i didn't like "The Afghan". It was follow up of some novel by forsyth himself, it was on iraq war. One more book of his which i enjoyed was "The Devil's Alternative". But i feel forsyth was more of a cold warrior. He could not write on post cold war world.

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned
@nrupatunga @SPIEZ

To spare you the torture I went through, please DO NOT read any book from "The Aryavarta Chronicles".

Why? Because it's simply moronic. Period.

On second thoughts, moronic would be a Huuuuge understatement.

Or, else you can give it a try to learn "how to SCR*W up a grand epic" or if you want a live example of "how not to over-imagine/romanticize".

I just completed the second installments (am downright ashamed of my gullibility that I went for second one despite being conned by first), so just thought of doing some good to fellow DFI-ites, today.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Day of jackal anyday. :thumb: Even his odessa file was nice. But even i didn't like "The Afghan". It was follow up of some novel by forsyth himself, it was on iraq war. One more book of his which i enjoyed was "The Devil's Alternative". But i feel forsyth was more of a cold warrior. He could not write on post cold war world.
Thanks. Will read "The Devil's Alternative".
Yeah "The Afghan" is continuation of "The fist of God".

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned
Thanks. Will read "The Devil's Alternative".

Yeah "The Afghan" is continuation of "The fist of God".
The Afghan is a continuation of some prior book ? :shocked:

Even after completing it, I never recognized that there was some prequel to it. In fact, The Afghan can be read in isolation without any prior knowledge or background.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
The Afghan is a continuation of some prior book ? :shocked:

Even after completing it, I never recognized that there was some prequel to it. In fact, The Afghan can be read in isolation without any prior knowledge or background.
I read both books several years back, so memory is kinda sketchy :D but I am pretty sure both books had Major Mike Martin. Though they can be read separately too I guess coz the Fist of God (which btw is the better of the two) is about the first Iraq war and The Afghan is about terrorism and stuff and there isnt any connection between the two, except for the lead character. :hmm:

Last edited:

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned
I read both books several years back, so memory is kinda sketchy :D but I am pretty sure both books had Major Mike Martin. Though they can be read separately too I guess coz the Fist of God (which btw is the better of the two) is about the first Iraq war and The Afghan is about terrorism and stuff and there isnt any connection between the two, except for the lead character. :hmm:
Ok, Mike Martin was there in the other one also.....hmm. In The Afghan, he was introduced, as if, for the first time.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Hans Hellmut Kirst - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Works in English translation

The Lieutenant Must Be Mad. New York: Harcourt, Brace, 1951/London: George G. Harrap and Co., 1951.
The Revolt of Gunner Asch. Boston: Little, Brown, 1955. UK title: Zero Eight Fifteen: The Strange Mutiny of Gunner Asch: A Novel. London: Weidenfeld and Nicolson, 1955.
Forward, Gunner Asch! Boston: Little, Brown, 1956. UK title: Gunner Asch Goes to War: Zero Eight Fifteen II: A Novel. London: Weidenfeld and Nicolson, 1956.
The Return of Gunner Asch. Boston: Little, Brown, 1957/London: Weidenfeld and Nicolson, 1957. Subtitled Zero Eight Fifteen III in the UK edition.
The Seventh Day. Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1959. UK title: No One Will Escape: A Novel. London: Weidenfeld and Nicolson, 1959.
Officer Factory: A Novel. London: Collins, 1962/Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1963.
The Night of the Generals: A Novel. New York: Harper and Row, 1963/London: Collins, 1963.
What Became of Gunner Asch. New York: Harper and Row, 1964/London: Collins, 1964.
Brothers in Arms: A Novel. New York: Harper and Row, 1965/London: Collins, 1965.
Soldiers' Revolt. New York: Harper and Row, 1966. UK title: The 20th of July. London: Collins, 1966 .*
The Last Card. New York: Pyramid Books, 1967. UK title: Death Plays the Last Card. London: Fontana/Collins, 1968.
The Wolves. New York: Coward-McCann, 1968. UK title: The Fox of Maulen. London: Collins, 1968.
Last Stop, Camp 7. New York: Coward-McCann, 1969. UK title: Camp 7 Last Stop. London: Collins, 1969.
No Fatherland. New York: Coward-McCann, 1970.
The Adventures of Private Faust. New York: Coward, McCann and Geoghegan, 1971.
Who's In Charge Here? London: Collins, 1971.
Hero in the Tower. New York: Coward, McCann and Geoghegan, 1972/London: Collins, 1972.
A Time for Scandal. London: Collins, 1973. American title: Damned to Success: A Novel of Modern Munich. New York: Coward, McCann and Geoghegan, 1973.
A Time for Truth. London: Collins, 1974/New York: Coward, McCann and Geoghegan, 1974.
A Time for Payment. London: Collins, 1976.
The Nights of the Long Knives. New York: Coward, McCann and Geoghegan, 1976/London: Collins, 1976.
Everything Has Its Price. New York: Coward, McCann and Geoghegan, 1976.
The Affairs of the Generals. New York: Coward, McCann and Geoghegan, 1979. UK title: Twilight of the Generals. London: Collins, 1979.
Party Games. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1979/London: Collins, 1980.
Heroes for Sale. London: Collins, 1982.
I have read several of his books and enjoyed them. The Night of the Generals was made into a movie.

The Night of the Generals (1967) - IMDb

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles