The Belgaum Dispute

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by ITBP, Jul 9, 2014.

?

What is your stand on Belgaum dispute?

1. I support Maharshtra

25.0%
  2. I support Karnataka

25.0%
  3. I am not Marathi or Kannada so dont care or cant say

50.0%
  4. Let these 2 states fight a war with their state police forces !!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ITBP

ITBP Regular Member

The Belgaum border dispute is a dispute involving the Indian states of Karnataka and Maharashtra. Belgaum, currently a part of Karnataka and earlier the erstwhile Bombay Presidency, is claimed by Maharashtra on linguistic grounds.

More here: Belgaum border dispute - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So what is your view point? Who should have it?

@parijataka, @Tolaha, @Bangalorean, @ashdoc, @Ashutosh Lokhande, @abhi_the _gr8_maratha, @Neil, @pankaj nema, @SLASH, @nrupatunga, @kseeker, @Illusive

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  3. Razor

Razor CIDs from Tamilnadu Senior Member

Well, I think right now we can maintain status quo as things are not as violent as it was wrt to Telagana.
    So I guess option 2.

PS: Option 4 of poll: "Let these 2 states fight a war with their state police forces !!!" ==> WaffenSS detected, amiright ?

4. ITBP

ITBP Regular Member

I am a Raajbangshi and I dont know who is WaffenSS.

5. nrupatunga

nrupatunga Senior Member Senior Member

TBH i feel this thread is unwanted, this can generate a dispute on DFI itself.

kseeker likes this.
  6. abhi_the _gr8_maratha

abhi_the _gr8_maratha Senior Member Senior Member

It is part of state which supreme court says. Though formation of states is based on language spoken by majority in that place.

Ashutosh Lokhande likes this.
  7. Ashutosh Lokhande

Ashutosh Lokhande Senior Member Senior Member

me too agree with abhi. which ever state supreme court decides am ok with it as long as its in india :p

but am lil biased towards MH as majority of the public is marathi speaking and they themselves want to be with MH.

8. kseeker

kseeker Retired

I agree with @nrupatunga.

Why are we even discussing on division of states based on lingua franca after so many years of our independence?

We have been dividing India since our independence :tsk: recent e.g. is Andhra - Telangana, both Andhra and Telangana folks speak TELUGU, what happened? isn't that enough?

Belgaum dispute is created by -----ing politicians from both Karnataka and Maharashtra. It's not the Belgaum blokes who crave for liberation and want to join a certain state i.e. Karnataka or Maharashtra; both Marathi and Kannada speaking blokes live there alike and they don't give a damn about this BS.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    parijataka likes this.
  9. ashdoc

ashdoc Senior Member Senior Member

There is a feeling in Maharashtra that the state was deliberately punished by the Nehru govt for the murder of Gandhi by a Maharashtrian ( Nathuram Godse ) by snatching Belgaum away from it and giving it to Karnataka . This feeling has been echoed in several articles I read in the marathi newspaper LOKSATTA in the past .

Of course , the grander plan to snatch away Mumbai from Maharashtra and give it to Gujarat had to be shelved because riots broke out in Mumbai , but the Nehru govt did manage to have a sting in it's tail by disconnecting Belgaum from Maharashtra .