The Armies of ancient India

The Germans are coming

The reason for me joining this forum is to gather information for a modding project.

I dont know how many of you are familiar with the "Total War" game series. It is essentialy a strategy game that is set in an historic era.

And I have started working on a big modding project for the game that is centerd arround the time era of 250 BC in Europe, North Africa and Persia (rise of Roman empire).

The campain map of the game does unfortunatly not extent into India. but it contains parts of modern day Pakistan and Afghanistan that were part of the Indian Maurya empire.

As such I wanted to create a full and historicaly accurate roster of Indian units available to a new Indian faction.

And for the potential future expanding of the map into the Indian subcontinent.

I would like to have a native Indian to contribute to the research of our modding tam, so we dont end up being a bunch of silly Europeans who depict Indians in a stereotypical exotic way.

Do you have information on what the Indian armies of 250 BC to 50 Ad might have looked like?

ITBP

@The Germans are coming Willkommen, Deutschland über alles:germany::germany:

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/military-multimedia/18582-indian-military-video-games.html

Here on this thread you can have a look.

As of 250 AD Ancient era, then indian troops were mainly infantry and some war elephants.

Common indian foot soldier generally had a long spike and shield- They are called Pike man. Archers were best, indian archers used 6 ft long bamboo made bow, it was very dangerous, Alexander The great himself was wounded by this. Cavalry was comparatively little in size. For example in Mayuran Army there were over 600,000 foot soldiers but cavalry was less than 30,000. And Indians used wave of war elephants to crush enemy line like Germany used Tanks in WW2.

There were chariots too, but were not effective at all.

During Battle of Hydaspes Indian war chariots were struck in mud.

Hope your country will survive from political correctness, multiculturalism etc nonsense.

And Anschluss will happen again, this time with out any war.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Germans are coming

@The Germans are coming Willkommen, Deutschland über alles:germany::germany:.
hello and thank you. We actualy changed our anthem to be less threatening towards other countries.

Here on this thread you can have a look.
Thanks alot.

As of 250 AD Ancient era, then indian troops were mainly infantry and some war elephants.

Common indian foot soldier generally had a long spike and shield- They are called Pike man. Archers were best, indian archers used 6 ft long bamboo made bow, it was very dangerous, Alexander The great himself was wounded by this. Cavalry was comparatively little in size. For example in Mayuran Army there were over 600,000 foot soldiers but cavalry was less than 30,000. And Indians used wave of war elephants to crush enemy line like Germany used Tanks in WW2.

There were chariots too, but were not effective at all.

During Battle of Hydaspes Indian war chariots were struck in mud.
Do you have some pictures or anything else that can visualise that? it would be very helpfull.

Hope your country will survive from political correctness, multiculturalism etc nonsense.
We really dont have as much of that as people think.
And Anschluss will happen again, this time with out any war
oh. well.. I actualy hope it wont happen again.

was that a joke?

Last edited by a moderator:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles