The 36 stratagems of China for warfighting

amoy

@Bhadra is at your wit's end that is why u repeatedly call me fool- your new low of low, rather than addressing the 36 strategem.

Fine, I let it pass without reporting your infractions this time.

Like for [2. Surround one state to save another] your literal interpretation of the verb "surround" is wrong. This strategem actually refers to initiating a fatal attack at the enemy (India) on another front to alleviate the pressure on ally (read Pakistan) on their (west) front by distracting the enemy's forces.

It's like MacArthur's Inchon landing at the waist of the Korean Peninsula that forced N. Korean troops to pull back from the south at the time of S. Korea +US was encircled at the south-eastern tip of the Peninsula (Busan).

Last edited by a moderator:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
@Bhadra is at your wit's end that is why u repeatedly call me fool- your new low of low, rather than addressing the 36 strategem.

Fine, I let it pass without reporting your infractions this time.

Like for [2. Surround one state to save another] your literal interpretation of the verb "surround" is wrong. This strategem actually refers to initiating a fatal attack at the enemy (India) on another front to alleviate the pressure on ally (read Pakistan) on their (west) front by distracting the enemy's forces.

It's like MacArthur's Inchon landing at the waist of the Korean Peninsula that forced N. Korean troops to pull back from the south at the time of S. Korea +US was encircled at the south-eastern tip of the Peninsula (Busan).

My apologies but you give foolish examples.. only concentrating on India..

Though I deliberately posted the entire thing to educate Indians on Chinese crooked wisdom... Ha Ha Ha..

Surround means surround and not attack unless the translation is faulty..

This one is better.. I mean the latest example but that is maneuver and not surrounding a state to save another state

Still Compliments...

Those 36 stratagems are useless in front of Kautilya's Arthashastras..

still all Indians must know those to know the Chinese...

huaxia rox

India invaded E. Pakistan and created a B'desh by dismantling Pakistan
i see the whole thing the other way around.

india didnt invade BD as per the history. it was the people in the east pak who took advantages of having the situation of india having problems with west pak.

after they got independence india was dumped by BD and till now remains as islamic BDs de facto enemy.

so the constant india vs pak situation is the fire and to get independence is to loot by BD.

when looting finished fire is no more needed.
Indian annexation of Sikkim by using the 5th column through a "referendum"
if the 5th column were used very effectively i would say good for india. how ever allowing only around 50% people to vote and calling it a referendum is one of the most funny things i can have a chance to know.

amoy

@huaxia rox I beg to differ from your interpretation of India's creation of B'desh

Anyway Indians have played their 36 gimmicks well, right? Such as allying with Soviet Union in the disguise of the so-called Non-Alliance Movement (NAM). Ironically out of the relationship USSR actually gained nothing, while becoming a cat's paw for India, such as dispatcing A/C in the Bay of Bengal to deter the US from intervention when India was attacking East Pakistan (later BD).

What USSR gave was a gem. However India offered a brick in return to take advange of USSR for their own strategic gains.

17. Toss out a glazed tile to draw a jade. Korean: P'o jeon in ok
拋磚引玉 - Cast a brick to attract a gem

You present something of superficial or apparent worth to induce another party to produce something of real worth.

Combat application: Bait your attacker with a pretend opening.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
@amoy

some of your illustrations imho are very aweful and irrelevant
The 36 "stratagems" are tactical principles. Amoy's examples are strategic applications.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
The 36 "stratagems" are tactical principles. Amoy's examples are strategic applications.
As per the author those are old strategic principles of Chinese traditions but would also equally apply at tactical level like "Toss out a glazed tile to draw a jade"...

This could be done by national leaders as also by tactical commanders in the battlefield

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles