Tension mounts on Bangladesh-Myanmar border

leonblack08

Respected Member
Hello Atul,
Sorry for the late reply.

Though Burma is a Rogue State, it has one thing that probably Bangladesh does not - A military Dictator, a single ordering authority & which is not answerable to bureaucracy. The Burmese enjoy more military co-operation from china as compared to Bangladesh.
My questions were in reference to LF's comment about India helping Myanmar explicitly.Now,Burma is undemocratic and "evil" in the eyes of USA and West.Now my question to LF was,by supporting Burma openly,won't India be on the wrong side?
I think you misunderstood the post.
However I agree with you that Burma has more closer relation with China than Bangladesh.nevertheless,China has its interest in BD too.

(This war is not in the best interest of Chinese, so they would by all means try & stop it. Secondly Burma & China share a common border & chinese have a direct road connecting them to the Bay of Bengal. So in eventualities they might support the Burmese.
I agree with the 1st part,and that's why our Govt. sought their help to diffuse the tension.They did it in the past,and this time too the tension calmed down.

(One most important thing one should not forget is some very important cities like - Coxs Bazar, Chittagong are close to the Burmese border. if they fell in a Conventional War, the impact will be huge on the Bangladeshi economy. Secondly 1971 was a different story altogether, it not only marked the Indian support but also a unrest about pakistan. Burma also possesses a guerrilla force which makes the tally equal.
Yes different story.Because back then we did not have a proper army.We had some trained EPR soldiers and majority civilian turned fighters.But this time we have a proper army and trained commandos to carry on similar strikes.
Now Burmese Air force isn't that strong that they will be able to dominate our sky.Even in the worst case scenario,the gap between the two coutry's Air force won't be big.We have similar fighters in our inventory,Burmese just have a edge of few more fighters.
When there is war,there will be damage.Cox bazar won't hurt us,but Chittagong will do.But I would like to point out that,Chittagong always had high concentration of military presence,for the insurgency problem we had in CHT.
And at last we have the advantage of fighting in our own turf.Do not take that away.

My Dear Friend India has nothing to fear from Bangladesh, any eventualities with Bangladesh & a Single Delhi Class Destroyer can take care of the entire bangladeshi fleet & Our Army is capable enough to repeat 1971, as for your MIG-29's the IAF has BVR equipped Jets SU-30MKI, so the chances of Migs gaining any hits is nullified.
Now that my friend was totally unexpected from a senior member like you.

First of all,you are talking as if there will be a conventional war.Do we need to?NO.
Just providing shelters to the NE insurgents in our territory and giving them logistical support makes us achieve our goal.Now this is in context of what happens if India and Bangladesh become enemies if India supports Burma,in case of a BD-Burma war.No one should try to quote me out of context.
Since we are friendly,we are catching your terrorists in our territory.Recently we caught a number of ULFA,LeT and other extremist terrorists.

And at last about your comment about a single Delhi class Destroyer taking out an entire navy,well what to say,this is more like coming out of the mouth of a kid.No offence meant.
One or two Fast attack boats armed with probably C-802,can scare the hell out of a destroyer.Americans know it.remember the Iran incident?
Yes eventually Indian navy will dominate Bay of bengal,in case of a war.But certainly not by a single " Delhi Class destroyer".

leonblack08

Respected Member
Flag Meeting
BDR, Nasaka agree to maintain peace
A Correspondent, Cox's Bazar
Bangladesh and Myanmar have agreed to maintain peace on the border of the two countries at any cost.

At a sector commander level flag meeting between Bangladesh Rifles (BDR) and Myanmar border security force Nasaka at Maungdaw in Myanmar yesterday morning it was resolved that all kinds of problems would be solved through discussion.

Bangladesh team leader Col Didarul Alam Chowdhury told journalists the meeting was fruitful.

Replying to a question Didarul said the situation on the border with Myanmar is now normal and the news about military build-up there is not true.

Myanmar border security force Nasaka also strongly denied the allegation at the meeting.

Nasaka Director U Aung Jing at the meeting told BDR officials they were constructing barbed wire fence on the Myanmar border in line with the international laws.

He said the aim of building fence is to prevent activities of the militants, infiltration of foreign citizens and stop smuggling on the border, adding that it would not harm Bangladesh.

The Myanmar team leader assured Bangladesh side that Myanmar would not do anything that could deteriorate brotherly relation between the two countries.

The meeting also discussed in detail the issues of infiltration of Rohingyas into Bangladesh, abduction of Bangladeshi fishermen from Naf River, stoppage of smuggling at the border and exchange of prisoners.

BDR Chittagong sector commander Col Didarul Alam Chowdhury led the 15-member Bangladesh team while Nasaka-6 headquarters Director U Aung Jinghe led the 15-member team of Myanmar.

BDR, Nasaka agree to maintain peace

Country flag
My questions were in reference to LF's comment about India helping Myanmar explicitly.Now,Burma is undemocratic and "evil" in the eyes of USA and West.Now my question to LF was,by supporting Burma openly,won't India be on the wrong side? I think you misunderstood the post.
However I agree with you that Burma has more closer relation with China than Bangladesh.nevertheless,China has its interest in BD too.

India has a deep military ties with Burma, India has for years been pressured in the UN to stop their assistance to Burma but that never happened India has continued their assistance and aid to Burma,India has in fact increased ties with Burma in an economic sense, there is talk of building TATA NANO in Burma

India and Tata to build Nano factory in Burma

you will like to give credit to China for the defusing of tensions but I think the Burmese and Indians would give credit to General Kapoor's visit to Burma for the defusing of tensions.

India’s Army Chief visits Burma

India has close ties to Burma and Bangladesh, but it is Bangladesh's anti-Indian stance that has India leaning toward Burma in any dispute, and there is no denying Bangladesh's pro Pakistan and pro Chinese and anti Indian stance, it is natural for India to lean more towards Burma.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles