Temples impose dress code

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by GPM, Jul 13, 2011.

1. GPM

GPM Tihar Jail Banned

Temples impose dress code

A few temples in Goa have banned entry of those who are improprely dressed. TThere have been instances of foreigners in undergarments entering the ctemples, which has not gone down well with the people.
    Goa temples ban foreigners, impose dress code - India News - IBNLive
    Now hold on before you take the gun to Hindu temples.

Dress code in Goa churches

After temples in Goa, it's now the turn of a church to focus on scantily clad tourists. The 16th century Basilica of Bom Jesus will provide shawls to "indecently" dressed visitors when the tourist season begins in a couple of months.

Fr Savio Barretto, the rector of the 16th century Basilica located in Old Goa, 10 km from here, said a special panel would be appointed to keep tabs on tourists coming in to take a look at the Unesco-recognised World Heritage Site.

"The panel of specially appointed officials will screen them and provide shawls if the clothing is inappropriate. The shawls of course are to be returned after the visit," Barretto told us.
    "The dress code is not just for tourists, but for everyone who comes here, including pilgrims," he said.

Now, dress code at Goa church - The Times of India
    Dress codes for mosques is much stricter than in other religions.

3. Dinku

Dinku Regular Member

No come less dress.

Disturb serious prayer man. He look women leg and other part. Not attention God get. So, no soul clean. So, not do job paid for.

4. GPM

GPM Tihar Jail Banned

Had I not included the reference to church orders, all here would have had a field day against Hindus. Now MUM is going to be the word.

Tshering22, Dark_Prince and Scorpion like this.
  5. Scorpion

Scorpion New Member

You hit Bull's eye.... otherwise In Indian forums (specifically Indian Not Bharatiya otherwise might get banned) its a pleasure to defrock hindus and it has become a national time pass for secularists.

johnee, A chauhan and GPM like this.
  6. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Thats good. I dont think there will be much opposition against it. Just the shawls or watever dress is going to be provided needs to be clean citing hygenic concerns.

7. Dark_Prince

Dark_Prince Regular Member

Yeah entering a place of worship requires decent dressing, as it's not a place to show flesh nor fix rates for nights which are seen at top corporate parties!!

8. GPM

GPM Tihar Jail Banned

nrj, if you are worried about the cleanliness of the shawls, better dress properly.

9. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

I hope you meant cleanly. I am up for non-revealing cloths inside temples. But I'm also worried about cleanliness of shawls to be provided by temple/church authorities especially when communal diseases can spread easily in public places.

And I'm sure there will be donars who'll help the temples maintain cleanliness of those shawls/dresses.

10. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

No, there's nothing new with dress code in temples, this news has no shock-value. Here in the south, most major temples have strict dress codes. Some prevent women aged between 13 and 45 (you can figure out the reasoning), some prevent women altogether, some allow women only with proper wedding-thread, salwar-kameez is inappropriate in some, men can't dress in jeans and t-shirts, shorts are out of question, some explicitly require men to wear the dhoti, etc.

11. GPM

GPM Tihar Jail Banned

Right Raju. But then there is a periodical outrage too, when matters come to a head involving powerful politicians. I remember when he was president, he wanted to vist a temple in South, but was asked to wear a dhoti. He did not make a hue and cry about discrimination but paid his respects at the door steps. But many treated it as an insult to the President.

12. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

Some people do use their positions of power to breach temple code of conduct. There's not much the Temple's keepers can do about that. It's just that once those politically-powerful violators leave after darshanam, the temple's keepers close down the temple and perform shuddhi (shuddhikaran, wash the temple clean). That in itself is a subtle curse to the violators, a potent one at that. There are many folktales of temple conduct violators getting very unlucky in life.

13. mayfair

mayfair Elite Member Elite Member

Who was this? KR Narayan? SD Sharma? R Venkatraman or Zail Singh?

Making an issue out of temple Dress codes is as superfluous as pissing to add to the flow of a waterfall.

14. ejazr

ejazr Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

@GPM
    Had I not included the reference to church orders, all here would have had a field day against Hindus. Now MUM is going to be the word.

Why would anyone criticize a dress code in Hindu Temples? It is a religious place and the hindu priests have every right to make sure people are dressed modestly.

Anyone who would do so would have seriously something wrong with him. I think you are seeing things where there is nothing to be seen. Even if you didn't have any news reports about Churches, Gurudwaras or Mosques ensuring a dress code, I don't expect anyone would have criticized this. And if someone did, I would be taking on that person explaining how illogical their criticism is.

15. Tshering22

Tshering22 Sikkimese Saber Senior Member

Our part of India is not so much in limelight though our monks also restrict indecent clothing around monasteries and our temples. Though indecent clothing is very rare here (our temperature can make warm water freeze..:lol:), I won't be surprised if secularists would run amuck saying that Buddhists are also radical lunatics and must be watched over for jihadi terrorism next. :rotfl:

16. GPM

GPM Tihar Jail Banned

Tshering
    They were defanged by the church orders. Who would dare to speak against them?