Teenager exposes India's 'one month wives' sex tourism

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by pmaitra, Apr 15, 2013.

1. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Teenager exposes India's 'one month wives' sex tourism

A 17-year-old girl has exposed the scale of Islamic sex tourism in India where Muslim men from the Middle East and Africa are buying 'one month wives' for sex.

[​IMG]
    Inspector Vijay Kumar who is in charge of the 'one month' wives case Photo: DEAN NELSON

Campaigners for Muslim women's rights said while short term 'contract marriages' are illegal in India and forbidden in Islam, they are increasing in Hyderabad, in southern India, where wealthy foreigners, local agents and 'Qazis' – government-appointed Muslim priests – are exploiting poverty among the city's Muslim families.

The victim, Nausheen Tobassum, revealed the scale of the problem when she escaped from her home last month after her parents pressurised her to consummate a forced marriage to a middle aged Sudanese man who had paid around £1,200 for her to be his 'wife' for four weeks.

She told police she had been taken by her aunt to a hotel where she and three other teenager girls were introduced to a Sudanese oil company executive. The 'groom', Usama Ibrahim Mohammed, 44 and married with two children in Khartoum, later arrived at her home where a Qazi performed a wedding ceremony.

According to Inspector Vijay Kumar he had paid 100,000 Rupees (around £1,200) to the girl's aunt Mumtaz Begum, who in turn paid 70,000 Rupees to her parents, 5,000 Rupees to the Qazi, 5,000 Rupees to an Urdu translator and kept 20,000 Rupees herself. The wedding certificate came with a 'Talaknama' which fixed the terms of the divorce at the end of the groom's holiday.

"The next day he came to the house of the victim girl and asked her to participate in sex but she refused. She is a young girl and the groom is older than her father," Inspector Kumar told The Telegraph.

Her parents reassured him they would persuade their daughter and told her she would be punished if she did not. Instead she ran out of their tiny one room home in Hyderabad's Moghulpuri neighbourhood and was rescued by a police patrol. The police arrested the groom, the victim's aunt and the Qazi, and issued a warrant for her parents' arrest – Nausheen is a minor under Indian law and cannot marry until she reaches 18. Her parents are now in hiding but will be charged with arranging a child marriage, 'outraging the modesty' of a woman, and criminal conspiracy.

Inspector Kumar said there are dozens of illegal short term contract marriages in the city, and that the Sudanese man they arrested had come to Hyderabad after a friend in Khartoum told him he had taken a '40 day wife' during an earlier visit.

"If a Sudanese wants to have sex, he has to pay three times more [in Sudan] because there are far fewer girls there, or he takes a second wife. In India the girls are coming for a cheaper rate and they are beautiful. Even if they are only staying for a few days they are doing this kind of illegal marriages for sex," he said.

He said the visitors want to marry because they believe prostitution is forbidden under Islam. Poor families agree to contract marriages because they have many daughters and cannot afford to pay for all their weddings.

Instead, they have a series of one-month contract 'marriages' to fund their own genuine wedding.

Shiraz Amina Khan of Hyderabad's Women and Child Welfare Society, said there were up to 15 'contract marriages' in the city every month and that the number is rising because.

"They come to Hyderabad because it has maximum downtrodden families. Thirty to forty per cent of families are going for the option of contract marriages to relieve their poverty. It has to be stopped," she said.

Nausheen Tobassum, who is now living in a government home for girls said in an interview before she was placed in care, that she had filed a complaint to stop the same thing happening to other girls.

"I didn't know what was happening and I agreed in ignorance. They forced me. They changed my date of birth certificate and made a fake one, where I was shown as 24 years old. They exploit girls and that's why I went to police. I had to show courage to go to police against my parents. I don't want to go back to my home, I am scared," she said.

Source: Teenager exposes India's 'one month wives' sex tourism - Telegraph

sob, gokussj9, arnabmit and 1 other person like this.
  3. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

How very droll!

Muta Marriage

A Muta marriage is a temporary marriage under Islamic law. Literally translated, a muta marriage is a ‘marriage for pleasure’, which is valid for a fixed period of time. Such a matrimonial practice is believed to have been practiced since the time of the Prophet in Saudi Arabia. The concept continues to be held valid in the modern school of Muslim law in India, except in case of the Shia’s and the Ithna Ashari Shiite’s. However, a marriage institutionalized under Muta has become almost obsolete in India.

Islamic Law: Important Legal Considerations for Parties to a Muta Marriage

A Muta marriage, first and foremost, does not create any rights of inheritance between the two parties to the marriage.

Other important legal aspects to bear in mind are:

Children conceived of a Muta relationship are legitimate and are also capable of inheriting from both parents.

The right of divorce is not recognized in a Muta marriage. The husband is, however, entitled to end the contract before the term ends by making a gift (hiba-i-muddat) to the wife. Such a termination does not require the wife’s consent.

Dower is mandatory for Muta. The wife is entitled to the whole amount of the dower if the marriage is consummated, and half the dower if the marriage is not consummated. Also, if a wife ends the Muta contract before the expiry of the term, the husband may deduct an appropriate proportion from the dower.
    A man may enter a Muta marriage with any number of women.

Islamic Law: Essentials of a Valid Muta Marriage

For the Muta marriage to be valid in Islamic law, there must be a proper contract stating a declaration and an acceptance. The contract must explicitly mention the term of the Muta marriage. Dower is another mandate of a Muta marriage and the agreement is void if it is not specified.

Muta Marriage in Islamic Law | Indian Law

I myself have seen Muta Marriages in Kashmir.

Because the Passes get blocked during winter and people cannot move out to Srinagar to conduct their business and work, they undertake Muta marriage for the period till the Passes open!

That is where I learnt that there is a thing called Muta marriage in Islam.

Dispassionately seen it appears to be a very scientific in approach to ward off evils that deprivation of biological urges due to circumstancces can cause.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  4. Virendra

Virendra Moderator Moderator

What blunder a mis-use of religion.
    The Kazi and Parents both should be sent to Jail and the court should ensure that the Girl was placed somewhere safe.

Can't they change their laws in Islam to prevent Kazis from arranging such one month marriages?
    There is a lot of poverty in this world. But no parents who love their kids can throw them to the wolves like this.

5. pmaitra

Excellent post @Ray Sir.

If you see the original Islamic laws, given the times when they were enacted, (these laws) actually empowered women. What we are seeing here (OP), is quite the opposite. Where are the hordes of 'pious' who were out on the streets to protest the Rohingya issue now?

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  6. angeldude13

angeldude13 Lestat De Lioncourt Senior Member

muslim of hyderabad should be given proper education and seriously we need new reforms for women empowerment in india.

what the hell is wrong man???
    a woman in india had to marry a groom which her parents choose.this is what i call bs.i mean how can you marry a person who you think is not eligible for you.
    these kind of culprits and especially that kazi should be punished extremely to set an example for the future kazis.

7. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

OMG....These people should throw behind the jail for their remaining life.....

8. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

I couldn't understand the bold part as Ray sirji has pointed out the opposite thing....

9. Razor

Razor CIDs from Tamilnadu Senior Member

In my mind the parents have done the greatest crime.

I really doubt they empowered women. But maybe give them a degree protection from the barbarians in Arabia, as long as they obey every command of the husband.

Dovah likes this.
  10. pmaitra

If you look at Europe between 600 to 1600 years after Christ was born, and compare the situation of women there, with the Islamic laws, you will see women actually were given more power, and generally speaking, a legal sanction was given (Muta Marriage) for fornication for pleasure. So, Islam, which at one point was very progressive, has today become just the opposite, thanks to these Qazis who exploit the system, and the people.

There is somebody who can tell you better than I can, and it is @civfanatic.

There are variations in schools of thought, and this can be best explained by @SHURIDH.

[​IMG]

11. Ray

While technically what is going on is legal in Sharia, yet it is unfair on the poor innocents who are being duped without actual consent.

In Muslim marriages, which is a social contract, ijab-o-qubul or mutual consent is absolutely necessary.

Unlike the popular belief, only the man can annul the marriage by Talaq, the woman can also demand annulment through khula.

The Islamic laws are balanced, but it is the practitioners and the Mullahs who give it their own interpretation and vitiate the atmosphere and bring religious practices to ridicule.

For instance, the Muta marriage may appear odd, but it has immense social value in places that are isolated owing to various reasons, but imagine in a place like the Tanghar bowl, cut off by the snow on the Nastachun Pass for six months, a person whose family is in Srinagar for schooling or whatever and cannot come, what does this man do who is visiting his parents and helping them through the winter which can be very harsh?

Yes, he could be a follower of the Mahatma but then which hot blooded young rustic Kashmiri is a pacifist in any field including sex?

If there was no Muta marriage, he could become a philanderer cause immense woes to his parents, who would have to bear the brunt of his misdeeds. The Tangdar Bowl is a tight knit family with intermarriages amongst themselves and so such activities would be scandalous and unacceptable.

That notwithstanding, what is being done under the legal 'protection' of Muta marriage is most preposterous and totally deviant from the philosophy that underlined Muta marriages as I see, though Muta marriage means marriage for pleasure. However, the word 'pleasure' here is not to be taken for being crass carnal, but a release due to unique circumstances.

I might add that there has been great debates on the Muta marriage being acceptable or not amongst Islamic scholars from ancient Islamic times.

gokussj9, HEILTAMIL and pmaitra like this.
  12. Ray

If one has studied religions born from the Middle East, one would find the ritual and practices were common in the ancient times,

In fact, it was as if it as old wine in a new bottle.

Not comprehensive, but OK for a ready reckoner

http://isocs.org/Articles/I101C/9_similarities.htm

http://christianityinview.com/xncomparison.html

13. tramp

tramp Senior Member Senior Member

Educating the girls and parents is the only way to counter exploitation which I see as the main issue here (as I would not like to impose my morality on another). Also what comes of a child born from this kind of 'contract'? The child should not end up being punished for an arrange of convenience of the grownups.

14. rock127

rock127 Maulana Rockullah Senior Member

A LOT needs to be changed in their laws but do you know what that means? :sad: :hmm:

Raj30 and Patriot like this.
  15. HEILTAMIL

HEILTAMIL Regular Member

@Ray sir,

i have heard of similar stories from kerala and SL too in the past, but thanks for educating about the mutta marriage,

1.can Indian law not move cards against this contractual sex in sharia law, i mean sharia law is not fully allowed
    2. do these girls after the end of contract are eligible for a normal islamic marriage according to sharia??

16. SADAKHUSH

SADAKHUSH Senior Member Senior Member

There should be only one law in our Bharatvarsh that is the civil law. Ban everything else. Which ever organization opposes it can leave the land and leave rest of us in peace. I don't give a damn as what old religious practice says. If we let this continue than we are not going to improve lot of our female population. There will be opposition but Government of that time should stay steadfast in its resolve to make it reality.

@ Brigadier Ray

Thank you for your lesson on the practice of Mutta Marriage.

17. Ray

To be precise, the arrangement of Muta marriage in principle has merits.

However, it is for the Govt and its agencies and the Islamic society of India to ensure that the system is not sullied and brought to disrepute.

I would take it that these girls after the Muta marriage contractual period can undertake Nikah.

HEILTAMIL likes this.