Technology verses the Great White shark

Sailor

In the papers here yesterday was an article about technological measures being taken to protect our beach goers from the increasing attacks by Great White sharks.
As Great Whites move around our coastline constantly over vast distances a
program is underway to tag as many sharks as possible. Over a hundred Great Whites have now been tagged. This involves using a prod device to inert a microchip into the shark's dorsal fin.

The second part of the program has seen over one hundred listening receivers installed on the sea bed off Perth's beaches.
A monitoring station is able to pick up a signal from an approaching shark and raise the alarm in just one minute after the signal has traveled to a base station to Canada and back via satellite.

:canada: :australia:

Great Whites are a protected species but the sharks don't share the same sentiment about people.

A.V.

its indeed good to see rare species been protected a similar kind of thing also exists on the indian sunderbans i guess where they insert some tracking chip on the royal bengal tigers to track and identify them also keep a watch if they require any medical help such things are always appreciated it helps both ways bettering human life and protecting the animal

Su-47

wow. great video sailor.

India has to do more to protect its endangered species. Many Bengal tigers have become man eaters due to human encroachment into their territory, but the human response has been to shoot these tigers. We should hav our tigers tagged, so that we can monitor their movement, and prevent poachers from hunting them.

Sailor

That guy sure seemed apprehensive Su. Think he kinda knew that there was a tiger near.
Amazed that the tiger did that though.

Shiny Capstar

Professional
I have to say that I love sharks, and take any opportunity that comes my way to dive with them or study them in the wild.

Seen the odd Great White (or what I think was a White in one case), massive things (you don't really get a sense of their size until you see one in the water), scary they are. Fascinating, but scary all the same.

Su-47

I have never seen a shark or a tiger in the wild. But since i live in Africa i have seen lions, elephants, hippos, crocs, a dozen different type of antelopes, leopard, cheetah etc in the wild.

I am going diving in Malaysia in lte June. Hopefully will see some interesting marine life. Divers have reported whale shark sightings there. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Sailor

I have to say that I love sharks, and take any opportunity that comes my way to dive with them or study them in the wild.

Seen the odd Great White (or what I think was a White in one case), massive things (you don't really get a sense of their size until you see one in the water), scary they are. Fascinating, but scary all the same.
This has prompted me to put up the shots of a Great White I have.
See my next post entitled "Making friends with a Great White". Cheers.

Shiny Capstar

Professional
I have never seen a shark or a tiger in the wild. But since i live in Africa i have seen lions, elephants, hippos, crocs, a dozen different type of antelopes, leopard, cheetah etc in the wild.

I am going diving in Malaysia in lte June. Hopefully will see some interesting marine life. Divers have reported whale shark sightings there. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Whale sharks are brilliant, big and friendly (well not aggressive).
I hope for your sake you get to dive with one (or more), you will love it.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles