Team Newbee wins $5 million Dota 2 prize

CCP

Team Newbee wins $5 million Dota 2 prize | Brier Dudley's blog | Seattle Times

A "dream team" of professional gamers from China won the historic $5 million prize at The International video-game tournament that concluded today at Seattle's KeyArena.

Team Newbee won three "Dota 2"³ matches in a row to vanquish another Chinese powerhouse, Vici Gaming, in a final playoff that was webcast around the world and broadcast by ESPN. The 10,000 tickets sold for the event sold out in less than an hour.

Online fantasy-action game "Dota 2"³ has more than 20 million players but The International attracted mainstream attention as its prize pool swelled to a record-setting $10.9 million, putting the event in the realm of professional sports.

Bellevue game company Valve, the event organizer and publisher of "Dota 2," put $1.6 million in the pot and the rest came from purchases of a virtual booklet and bonus material called "The Compendium."

Newbee's five members take home the grand prize of $5,028,308 and a shield-like trophy called Aegis. ViCi didn't get the metal but still won $1,475,699.

"I feel very happy," said Newbee's Ning Zhang, 25, who uses the screen name Xiao 8.

Zhang has played for four years but he's still not sure what he'll do with his share of the prize.

"I have not thought about how I'm going to spend the money," he said. "I just won it."

Other team members are Chen "Hao" Zhihao, Wang "Sansheng" Zhaohui, Zhang "Mu" Pan and Wang "Banana" Jiao.

The prize pot was more than three times higher than the $2.8 million raised for last year's tournament, held at Benaroya Hall.

So will next year's prize pool be $30 million? Valve spokesman Doug Lombardi wouldn't predict the next pot size but said the company sees more potential for the Compendium approach with virtual goods supplementing the host's contribution.

"If we do those things," he said, "I assume there's room for growth."

________________________________________________________________________________________________

1 million for each kid.

Last edited:

Free Karma

Worst TI finals ever though. Very anti climatic.

It's not exactly 1 million for each kid, the team management will take a cut from the prize, and then it will be distributed, so it will be a slightly lower.

Ashutosh Lokhande

thank god i quit playing this intensivly addictive game 5 mnths back.
anyways i was rooting for singsings cloud9.
how did they perform in the tournament?

Ashutosh Lokhande

and dude any news about YaphetS i was 1 of the biggest fan of him. was disappointed to not see him playing against big teams.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Well I used to play AOE2 multiplayer a lot. I even perfected my Hun rush strategy. Sadly I hardly find people wanting to play AoE 2 with gameranger.

Ashutosh Lokhande

Well I used to play AOE2 multiplayer a lot. I even perfected my Hun rush strategy. Sadly I hardly find people wanting to play AoE 2 with gameranger.
try aoe 3 expansion edition (asian dynasty) you can play as India :D

p2prada

I played this game for a few years after the release, the original DOTA in W3. Never played Dota 2 though. I wouldn't mind picking it up again if possible, though I would prefer Counterstrike to this.

Ashutosh Lokhande

I played this game for a few years after the release, the original DOTA in W3. Never played Dota 2 though. I wouldn't mind picking it up again if possible, though I would prefer Counterstrike to this.
dude am telling you dont start this game.(dota2)
its highly addicting and also better than dota1 by leaps and bounds.
i used to waste 8hrs a day playing this everyday. only recently i managed to quit it.

p2prada

dude am telling you dont start this game.(dota2)
its highly addicting and also better than dota1 by leaps and bounds.
i used to waste 8hrs a day playing this everyday. only recently i managed to quit it.
I am old enough to prioritize other things in my life before Dota. :)

If I do play Dota 2, I would be a very casual player. Probably manage one or two games a week.

Ashutosh Lokhande

I am old enough to prioritize other things in my life before Dota. :)

If I do play Dota 2, I would be a very casual player. Probably manage one or two games a week.
the problem with dota is you cant play it casually espesially dota 2. coz it has a competitve ranked based matchmaking. so unless and untill you dont continously increase your skill cap (which comes by countless hours of plqying and coming up with different strategies and combinqtions) you will face a highly frustrating loss.
so if you want to play with good players you better got to increase your match making rating. and you cant achieve that in 1-2 hrs per week of casual gaming :)

p2prada

the problem with dota is you cant play it casually espesially dota 2. coz it has a competitve ranked based matchmaking. so unless and untill you dont continously increase your skill cap (which comes by countless hours of plqying and coming up with different strategies and combinqtions) you will face a highly frustrating loss.
so if you want to play with good players you better got to increase your match making rating. and you cant achieve that in 1-2 hrs per week of casual gaming :)
I know how it works, but losing a lot will deter me from being addicted too. :thumb:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles