Teaching of German in KV

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Eesh, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Eesh

Eesh Regular Member

Is teaching of German an international diplomatic issue? Yes, if you believe Times of India.

German ban in KVs clouds Modi-Merkel meet at G20

German ban in KVs clouds Modi-Merkel meet at G20
    Indrani Bagchi
    New Delhi:

Indian officials are scrambling to find a solution to a German language problem in Indian schools that is fast becoming a diplomatic problem with Germany .

Even as human resource development (HRD) minister Smriti Irani announced that German would no longer be taught as a third language in Indian schools, German chancellor Angela Merkel will make this one of the top items in her first bilateral meeting with PM Narendra Modi in Brisbane on the sidelines of the G20 summit on Sunday .

The Germans are looking for India to craft a “solution“ to the issue, after the HRD ministry declared that study ing German as a third language violated the Indian school curriculum rules. In the past few years, the teaching of German as a language has gained significant momentum. The German government spends close to ¤1 million on the programme, and there are about 80,000 students who study German.

Michael Steiner, German ambassador, downplayed the issue. “I am confident the Indian government will find a pragmatic solution that is a win-win solution.“ A solution, he said, was in the interest of India, Germany and the children who had been studying German.

The Indian government is trying to look for a solution that keeps faith with both sides of the debate. Its decision has already created ripples in Germany and is being actively debated there.

For the full report, log on to http:The Times of India: Latest News India, World & Business News, Cricket & Sports, Bollywood

3. Eesh

Eesh Regular Member

Notice the first lie. German teaching has not been BANNED. Is there any jail term for violating this BAN?

Now the other things.

How is teaching or teaching German in Indian schools going to seriously affect national interests of Germany or Germans at large?

Like it or not, three language policy is an old one, not introduced by Modi govt. Schools can teach any other fourth language of CHOOSING of students. But that will mean a choice from from scores of foreign languages.

Why should Merkel make it the most burning issue and why should Modi listen at all anything about it?

TOI makes out as if Germany will break diplomatic relations with India and impose sanctions against India.

4. DingDong

DingDong Senior Member Senior Member

Such decisions are reciprocal in nature, in this case Germany did not make similar provision for the Indian languages. I don't think the government is going to back off. After Germany's open threat to India on Italian Marines issue, it is highly unlikely that India will let go any chance of proving a point or two.

pmaitra likes this.
  5. sayareakd

sayareakd Moderator Moderator

Public schools in Delhi teach French.

6. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

Iam was kv student till 12 th , I had Sanskrit till 10th , wat a waste . I have gained nothing by learning Sanskrit

7. Ashutosh Lokhande

Ashutosh Lokhande Senior Member Senior Member

its good for scoring marks.

8. sayareakd

sayareakd Moderator Moderator

students used that language to get max marks.

9. JBH22

JBH22 Senior Member Senior Member

If Indian language is not promoted by Indians then who will?

We are all fluent in English now why the craze for another language. I know french and this fvcking language does not add any value. In any case if really wanna go for a foreign language then why not Spanish or another vibrant language. EU is the becoming the past :)

PS: Ask the Germans if they teach Sanskrit to their kids?

parijataka and roma like this.
  10. Eesh

Eesh Regular Member

Some xian schools teach Latin. How much useful is it?

Going by your English, even that too was wasted on you. Or is that typos?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
    parijataka likes this.
  11. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

The German Government should be advised to spend its money on propping up the Euro-Zone. Indians are free to choose whatever foreign language they wish, out of their pockets. There is no ban on learning a foreign language.

12. Free Karma

Free Karma Senior Member Senior Member

Sure, they should make Indian language compulsory in their curriculum and the talk :lol:

What sort of nonsense is this, how can they even be sore at this, the fact that some people want to learn their language should make them happy, and not make them think they can dictate our education policy.

DingDong and pmaitra like this.
  13. Virendra

Virendra Moderator Moderator

Before passing a judgement, please enlighten me on how much Sanskrit you have learned and how much you have tried to put the learnt to use?

14. Virendra

I have serious doubts on those expenditure figures, going by how much Goethe charges for German courses. It's not just KV where German/Deutsche is taught in India.

15. pmaitra

I got my ZDfB from Goethe, Mumbai.

They do charge well. I just cannot remember how much I used to pay.

I am interested to know why so much money is being invested in India. Language teaching is fine, but indoctrination is not.

parijataka and roma like this.
  16. Eesh

Eesh Regular Member

It is not the Sanskrit that is the issue. The issue is how Germany gets to dictate our school curriculum. No way. Even Merkel may not be aware that German was taught here.

The contention is how our English media blow up a non issue as a major international issue. And all that to target an individual.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    parijataka likes this.
  17. Virendra

Initial courses like A1, A2, B1 etc cost INR 18,000 - 20,000 each. My wife is studying A2.
    Language is medium of spreading thoughts, ideology, culture.
    If there are plenty of German speaking and sensitized people in India; they will always have plenty of soft influence and friends here that they can leverage in the hour of need.
    Germans have smartly given a cautious response on the matter, because they also don't want to appear as the forceful party.

18. pmaitra

What are those? Is your wife going to Goethe?

I did G1, G2, G3, M1, M2, and then my ZDfB.

G = Grundstufe (ground level).
    M = Mittelstufe (middle level).

Maybe they have changed the curriculum.

Also, I wasn't paying that much. It was, IIRC in the vicinity of Rs. 4000 per "stufe."

19. DingDong

DingDong Senior Member Senior Member

This is as much as they can do, if they wish to become more adventurous they must go ahead and be ready to receive a Middle Finger Salute from the Government of India.

roma and pmaitra like this.
  20. Free Karma

Free Karma Senior Member Senior Member

Cheap labour, and more students finding it easier to study in Germany.One of the biggest road blocks to German univs is the need to learn the language, while the U.S and the UK are more accessible due to english education, and make a lot of money from students coming from India. So by investing this amount, they are trying to make it easier for these students to study in Germany.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...tional-students-enrolled-in-colleges/1698531/
    22 billion dollars is a nice amount of money. Plus of course soft power, and spreading German ideas,culture and so on.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
    parijataka and pmaitra like this.
  21. pmaitra

Yes, getting students to come to their universities is big money and getting foreigners to work boosts their GDP and generates revenue for them, and then they use part of that revenue to give us aid. :lol:

Free Karma likes this.