Tavleen Singh on why Sonia Gandhi is no Indira Gandhi

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Singh, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Please, no more purdah politics

Tavleen Singh in her immutable style compares the two.

==

When Sonia Gandhi decided to become a politician, cruel gossips in Delhi’s political circles said she spent many hours watching old videos of the first Mrs Gandhi before deciding to take the plunge. I dismissed the stories as unkind chatter until I attended her first public meeting in Sriperumbudur in January 1998. Having known her in her apolitical days, I was amazed by the transformation. I noticed that she had copied her mother-in-law’s taste in saris, her skippy walk up the steps of the stage and even the shrill tone she used when she wanted to sound forceful.

But, perhaps because she was uninterested in politics in all the years she spent living in her mother-in-law’s house, Sonia never discovered the real secret of Indira Gandhi’s incredible success as a politician. Never learned that her political strength came from her tireless efforts to remain in constant touch with ordinary people. What is now abundantly clear is that Sonia’s real weakness as a political leader comes from her aloofness. Not just from ordinary people but from the media and even from her political workers.

Aloofness does not work in public life and this should be obvious to her now that her government’s economic and political chickens are coming home to roost. Last week was a particularly bad one on the roosting chickens front. Standard & Poor’s not just warned that India’s credit rating could come down to junk status, it went further and blamed this on the ‘division’ of political leadership in the Indian government.

Sonia’s more strident spokespersons went instantly onto the nearest television channel to hysterically denounce this as rubbish. They pointed out that if India could grow at more than 8 per cent during the Sonia-Manmohan government’s first stint in power then why not now. It should be clear what changed.

After the government won re-election in 2009, the ever obliging Dr Manmohan Singh moved into the shadows to allow the ground to be prepared for the Congress Party’s heir apparent to take over. And, this was not all that changed. Suddenly, Sonia’s National Advisory Council was given more leeway than ever before to make policy and to do this publicly. This left observant political observers in no doubt that Sonia Gandhi was now playing a serious role in making policy. But, she continued to play purdah politics, continued to pretend that real control was not with her.

Last week, Mamata Banerjee exploded this myth. Mamata is not this column’s favourite politician but I believe she did India a service by lifting the purdah on her conversation with Sonia in 10 Janpath. The election of the next President of India should not be the subject of private conversations but because of Sonia’s style of functioning it has been. Those who had the private conversations came out charging Sonia with behaving as imperiously as the late Mrs Gandhi without noticing that her mother-in-law had a full majority in Parliament. When prime ministers win elections with brute majorities, they can afford to exhibit a certain disdain for lesser political parties and the late Mrs Gandhi most certainly did.

The times have changed quite dramatically for the Congress Party since those halcyon days. Congress may have won more seats in 2009 than it has since 1991 but not enough to form its own government. But, because of the reverence and awe that continues to surround India’s most powerful political dynasty, the constituents of the coalition Sonia leads have behaved as if they were part of a Congress government. All except Mamata. She appears to take perverse pleasure in defying Congress authority. In trying to contain her mutinous ally, Sonia has exposed the political limitations of aloofness as a policy. Once Mamata gave details of her private conversation with Sonia on national television, the aloofness mystique was shattered. Will this lead to the fall of the Sonia-Manmohan government? Can we expect an election before 2014? Perhaps. But, that is not the point.

What is the point, and it became brutally clear last week, is that India cannot be ruled by leaders who want political power but refuse to accept accountability. In three years, Sonia’s government, and please let us start calling it that, has taken a booming economy and reduced it to an economic disaster. Politically the worst consequence of her purdah politics has been that the institution of the prime minister’s office has been dangerously diminished.

These things have happened not because of Dr Manmohan Singh’s personal weaknesses but because of Sonia’s purdah politics. If she wants to do more than just superficially impersonate her powerful mother-in-law then here is her chance. It is in her hands and her hands alone to show whether she can heal India’s broken polity and put the economy back on a growth path. If there ever was a time for Sonia to show leadership, it is now.

Please, no more purdah politics - Indian Express

W.G.Ewald, skumar7777 and aeroblogger like this.
  3. I am afraid it still hasn't become so obviously clear to everyone yet . . .!

^
    Any Link to videos of this ??

4. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

Indira Gandhi's descendants are steeped in the corrupt practises she started, including Sonia who learnt from her. The way Sonia Gandhi became Congress chief itself is a shameful incident when the aged Sitaram Kesari was locked in the toilet while the process was going on. Not to worry, karma does catch up, eventually.

5. while i m no fan of Sonia ...

Locking up Sitaram Kesari was probably a good thing for congress ...
    he was a loon who if he had his way ...he would have taken congress to the grave with him

6. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

The way it was done was totally wrong - locking up people in toilets is not a sign of a great political party to elect its President. And Congress party is supposed to be the national party of India.

7. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

[​IMG]

This is so off-topic, but Diane Feinstein (D-CA) looks like Sonia here.

8. TrueSpirit

TrueSpirit Senior Member Senior Member

Which would have been "a bountiful boon" for posterity......

Who wants the Congress (I) to perpetuate its misrule till eternity ?

VIP and Dovah like this.
  9. TrueSpirit

TrueSpirit Senior Member Senior Member

OT, do you really believe that ...? I never saw that happening in practice.

Had that been the case...there would be no vices in the world & it would a "paradise of bliss" on earth.

10. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Any organisation that does not have a single source of authority will fail.

It is myth that Congress works that is given credence by the Congress sycophants, who are too numerous to name in this short post.

Ego masseurs and Lotus Eaters.

They have ruined the real Congress Party that was the pride of the Nation at one time.

11. arnabmit

arnabmit Homo Communis Indus Senior Member

@Singh @Ray

[video=youtube_share;3k3BOfycr5Q]http://youtu.be/3k3BOfycr5Q[/video]

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  12. dhananjay1

dhananjay1 Regular Member

The head of the party that is in power in center refuses to declare which 'religion' she follows and asks the rest of the India to declare their religion on paper. This is the mockery of each and every Indian and all so called principals of 'democracy' and 'transparency'.

VIP likes this.
  13. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Tavleen Singh has been rather open about issues.

I won't say she is a favourite journalist of mine, but has been quite incisive.

Many things like the ads on Sikhs, I did not know.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  14. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

self delete.....

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  15. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

Why Sonia never came to public, and also I don't find any interview. Btw, there's no need because her media servants would not ask any question which would really be helpful.

16. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals