Tata Motors wants to build battle tanks

Zebra

Country flag
http://www.business-standard.com/ar...nts-to-build-battle-tanks-115071000824_1.html

Riding on Make in India wave Tata Motors wants to build battle tanks

Hopes high on govt's thrust for indigenous manufacture, flow of inquiries & contracts being readied

Swaraj Baggonkar | Mumbai
July 11, 2015 Last Updated at 00:45 IST

The defence division of Tata Motors, the country's largest automobile maker, is eyeing Rs 60,000 crore of contracts to build combat vehicles. There is a silent race between companies to have the largest piece of the $100-billion worth of defence acquisitions laid out by the government over the next decade from local companies.

The company has bagged a Rs 914-crore contract to supply 1,239 indigenously developed high mobility multi-axle vehicles, the single largest order awarded by the army to an Indian private original equipment manufacturer in land systems under the Defence Procurement Policy.

Vernon Noronha, vice-president, defence and government business, Tata Motors, said: "In the past two years of the previous government, there were almost no orders. One year after the present government came to power, all our stuck files started moving and there was quick acceleration of orders. This has enthused not only Tata Motors but the entire industry."

The order book is Rs 1,500 crore, to be executed over the next two years. The division clocked revenue of Rs 1,200 crore last year and aims to double it in two years, Noronha added. In the past three years, the division generated revenue of Rs 2,000 crore or about three per cent of Tata Motors' total.

Indian companies are quickly building capabilities to grab a piece of the defence pie.

In two weeks, Mahindra & Mahindra (M&M) forged alliances with two European companies to supply underwater warfare equipment and military helicopters. The Anil Ambani-led Reliance Group entered the sector with the acquisition of Pipavav Defence.

"Earlier, RFPs (Request for Proposals) were issued at a snail's pace. Today, the Indian Army and ministry of defence are chasing companies, asking us to put our vehicles for trials as fast as possible," said Noronha.

The Rs 60,000-crore contract to build a Future Infantry Combat Vehicle is one of the biggest defence contracts of recent times. The previous government had floated an Expression of Interest (EoI) in 2008, after which eight private Indian companies responded. These had included Bharat Forge, Titagarh Wagons, M&M and Tata Motors. The Modi government scrapped the previous EoI and a revised one is expected in the next couple of months.

Beside, orders worth Rs 1,053 crore for the light armoured multipurpose vehicle, Rs 1,000 crore for armoured personnel carriers and Rs 3,000 crore for general service vehicles are being targeted by companies. A wheeled infantry combat vehicle is being built by Tata Motors in association with the Defence Research and Developent Organisation, of which the army is looking to procure 100 units.

"Eventually, we would like to become a manufacturer of light tanks and then the main battle tank. That is how we would like the progression to happen. The army released a request for information to develop the Future Ready Combat Vehicle, which will be the main battle tank. We have put in a response," added Noronha.

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
The army released a request for information to develop the Future Ready Combat Vehicle, which will be the main battle tank. We have put in a response," added Noronha.
hahahahah
Marvell comics ka jawab Marvell comics :lol:

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
Eventually I would like to sleep with Emma Stone but I don't see that happening either.

People will be far more grateful if Tata comes up with a car that does not look like Indica.
Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love her <3 <3 <3.
As for Tata .... i know they can make a Infantry combat vehicle but tank is out of their league , they'll need a "TOT" for that.

blueblood

Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love her <3 <3 <3.
Who doesn't. She and Anna Kendrick are the two islands of wit and humour in the vast ocean of porcelain dumb bimbos.

As for Tata .... i know they can make a Infantry combat vehicle but tank is out of their league , they'll need a "TOT" for that.
Even the "slow" people like Saudis are "building" IFVs so its not that big a deal but MBTs are a whole new ball game.

Kestrel is designed by DRDO so they can indeed be the manufacturers of MBTs in a literal sense.

Zebra

Country flag
Rowdy , blueblood

To make battle tanks for Indian army, it is very old desire of tata group.

Roots for that desire goes at least 50 years back.

If I am not wrong, this is 4th time I am talking about it on DFI, that tata wants to join tank manufacturing business.

blueblood

Rowdy , blueblood

To make battle tanks for Indian army, it is very old desire of tata group.

Roots for that desire goes at least 50 years back.

If I am not wrong, this is 4th time I am talking about it on DFI, that tata wants to join tank manufacturing business.
"First deserve then desire"

Something my grandfather used to say. Tata is yet to prove its mettle in "manufacturing" the relatively easier platforms like Kestrel. As Rowdy said, its TOT or nada.

Designing a next gen MBT from scratch will be too much for novices like Tata despite all its money and tech but manufacturing probably won't. TASL is making rapid advances in the field but same cannot be said of Tata motors.

I would love to be proven wrong in this case, be it license manufacturing or designing. :playball:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
"First deserve then desire"

Something my grandfather used to say. Tata is yet to prove its mettle in "manufacturing" the relatively easier platforms like Kestrel. As Rowdy said, its TOT or nada.

Designing a next gen MBT from scratch will be too much for novices like Tata despite all its money and tech but manufacturing probably won't. TASL is making rapid advances in the field but same cannot be said of Tata motors.

I would love to be proven wrong in this case, be it license manufacturing or designing. :playball:
By your logic Bharat forge cannot make a artillery gun, but we know that is not the case.

While I agree pedigree has some weightage in building a tank, all they need to do is hire good people from the industry. At a potential order for already 6 bln USD spread over two decades, this is not a chance big companies will be willing to let go.

blueblood

By your logic Bharat forge cannot make a artillery gun, but we know that is not the case.

While I agree pedigree has some weightage in building a tank, all they need to do is hire good people from the industry. At a potential order for already 6 bln USD spread over two decades, this is not a chance big companies will be willing to let go.
There is a massive difference between a low tech howitzer and a "futuristic" MBT.

Unlike Noricum, there is no tank manufacturer worth its salt is on sale AFAIK. So my friend, you are comparing apples with peas.

One more thing that you don't realize that even if they succeed in designing a promising tank nothing is stopping MOD or Army from going full retard and cancel the whole thing.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
There is a massive difference between a low tech howitzer and a "futuristic" MBT.

Unlike Noricum, there is no tank manufacturer worth its salt is on sale AFAIK. So my friend, you are comparing apples with peas.

One more thing that you don't realize that even if they succeed in designing a promising tank nothing is stopping MOD or Army from going full retard and cancel the whole thing.
My point is that Indian defence industry needs "Risk-Takers" at this point in time, I would rather have TATA with their deep pockets than someone new.

Either way our discussion is valid only when their design gets shortlisted in the first place.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
It would be better if DRDO and other private companies such as TATA come together in a single consortium (like Eurofighter) and design a tank as per IA specifications.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
It would be better if DRDO and other private companies such as TATA come together in a single consortium (like Eurofighter) and design a tank as per IA specifications.
My ideal scenario on topic is that there should be consortiums:

We should have three consortiums not more.
1) Govt consortium backed by DRDO
2) two private consortiums, maybe Tata's and reliance can take lead on other two.

Anil Ambani seems to be building one, I think he got 19 defence manufacturing licences. Even better would be that these three consortium backed by Russians, Americans and Europeans individually.

But most importantly MoD should have a procurement plan for next 20 years, hopefully

aliyah

tata motors thats pvt sectors drdo. one of oldest auto maker in india.so wat successful products they have other than indica taxi ??

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles