Tata British workers are lazy and unwilling to go the extra mile

niharjhatn

You cannot be really serious! Someone has spent shiploads of cash, just to get back at UK for imperialism! :hail:

If we can get over the sensational headlines, what we see is that Ratan Tata has said the management was not upto mark. And if you read the stats that you yourself have posted, do you still have doubts on the management quality!?
I'd almost say the same thing - the british managers don't give a hoot about what's going on as they are being run by an Indian!

amitkriit

I'd almost say the same thing - the british managers don't give a hoot about what's going on as they are being run by an Indian!
Last time I checked, Lakshmi Mittal is an Indian citizen. I believe Tata is still not very aware of UK's work culture. Or may be Tata did not get rid of the management which is totally incapable and lazy in reality.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Now I understand the late hours those in know in the private sector keep.

Though it makes me feel good that we, as Indians, are better than the gora boys as far as work is concerned, yet I feel that they also require a break sometimes.

I was reading in today's papers that Nitesh Kumar has decreed that every Govt servant in Bihar will get 15 days paid holiday every two years, if they go on holiday to their parents' home and look after them. Now, that is a good start, I must say.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Last time I checked, Lakshmi Mittal is an Indian citizen. I believe Tata is still not very aware of UK's work culture. Or may be Tata did not get rid of the management which is totally incapable and lazy in reality.
While you are right about the UK work culture, yet he who pays the piper calls the tune.

Don't the Indians in India, working in a US Company follow the US work ethos? Or do they follow the lala ethos?

Phenom

IIRC, it's not a good idea to take anything the British media says at face value, with the possible exception of BBC. Their tabloid culture is even worse than India's.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
The Mittals have much better understanding of how things work in Europe, instead of mass closures they do a few hits here and there and then rehire most of the laid off workers when demand picks up. Ratan has no respect for the British so he either ships or ends their jobs altogether.

Oracle

UK's work culture is one of the best.

Having a good social life makes you lazy is it? Please do not comment on things you have no idea or places you have not visited.

I have seen TCS employees slogging for 16 hours, in London for GBP 1800 a month, which in return means exploitation.

Blind patriotism will take you nowhere, even if you are Yuri Gagarin.

Oracle

While you are right about the UK work culture, yet he who pays the piper calls the tune.

Don't the Indians in India, working in a US Company follow the US work ethos? Or do they follow the lala ethos?
Sir, please do not fall for innuendos.

amitkriit

UK's work culture is one of the best.

Having a good social life makes you lazy is it? Please do not comment on things you have no idea or places you have not visited.

I have seen TCS employees slogging for 16 hours, in London for GBP 1800 a month, which in return means exploitation.

Blind patriotism will take you nowhere, even if you are Yuri Gagarin.
Please read the comment and understand it fully before posting a reply in a hurry, I had said "I believe Tata is still not very aware of UK's work culture", this was a completely neutral statement.

Last edited:

pmaitra

British work-ethic condemned by Indian steel tycoon

British work-ethic condemned by Indian steel tycoon

Ratan Tata (centre) during a meeting of the 'UK-India CEO Forum, at Downing Street

By Michael Howie12:25PM BST 21 May 2011

Indian tycoon Ratan Tata made the comments just two months before one of his companies, Tata Steel, announced that it was looking at closing or mothballing part of its Scunthorpe plant, putting 1,200 jobs at risk. The plans would also see 300 jobs lost at its Teesside site.

Mr Tata, who is a member of the Prime Minister's Business Advisory Group, and co-chairman of the UK-India CEO Forum, described his surprise at the attitudes of previous management at the steel-maker Corus and car manufacturer Jaguar Land Rover (JLR), which he bought in 2006 and 2008 respectively. Speaking of the previous bosses, he told The Times: "It's a work-ethic issue. In my experience, in both Corus and JLR, nobody is willing to go the extra mile, nobody.

"I feel if you have come from Bombay to have a meeting and the meeting goes till 6pm, I would expect that you won't, at 5 o'clock, say, 'Sorry, I have my train to catch. I have to go home.'

"Friday, from 3.30pm, you can't find anybody in their office."

Mr Tata said that things are different in his native India.

"If you are in a crisis, if it means working to midnight, you would do it.

"The worker in JLR seems to be willing to do that; the management is not," he said.

The 73-year-old added that previously at JLR "the entire engineering group would be empty on Friday evening", but said things had improved.

"The new management team has put an end to that. They call meetings at 5 o'clock," he said.

On Friday Tata Group blamed a decline in the construction industry for the cuts in the north east, but it also announced that it will invest £400 million in its Long Products business over the next five years.

Unions said the jobs losses amounted to eight per cent of Tata's UK workforce, pledging to try to mitigate the impact of the decision, while Labour said it was a "hugely worrying" sign for industry.

Tata, which completed the sale of its Teesside Cast Products site in Redcar to Thai steel firm SSI earlier this year, launched a 90-day consultation with unions before the redundancies will start.

The firm said it was "reasonably confident" of achieving most of the job losses through voluntary redundancies, although it could not rule out compulsory lay offs.

Source: British work-ethic condemned by Indian tycoon - Telegraph

Old news, but should be an interesting debate. What do y'all think? Do you agree with Mr. Tata?

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Re: British work-ethic condemned by Indian steel tycoon

^^ why am I gettingg a feeling of deja vu /

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag

This is dicey.
There is a thin line between "devotion to work goals when the going gets tough" and the "office slavery" we all know about first hand.

drkrn

in our country job is utmost necessity.
hundreds of people are eagerly waiting for a job in our country so the companies won't find it difficult squeezing the employees.

you can't compare Britain with India.they have strict policies and implementation.

personally British are the most laziest and dumb persons i have ever seen. they waste time thinking what to do_Oot one many Britishers i have seen are like that.

more over they don't like to be questioned.

ejazr

Ambassador

Europeans in general have it too easy when you compare work times to other countries. They get the most annual leave and they work the leaast amount per week. Compare that with the Japanese, Americans or Indians and you will see a big difference.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag

^^ Germans otoh have legendary efficiency and productivity and lower wages comparatively.

BangersAndMash

in our country job is utmost necessity.
hundreds of people are eagerly waiting for a job in our country so the companies won't find it difficult squeezing the employees.

you can't compare Britain with India.they have strict policies and implementation.

personally British are the most laziest and dumb persons i have ever seen. they waste time thinking what to do_Oot one many Britishers i have seen are like that.

more over they don't like to be questioned.
I think you forgot to add "some" in front of British. You really shouldn't generalize like that, you would not like it if people generalize Indian stereotypes!

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag

^^ Yeah 99% of the brits give the rest 1% a bad name :p kidding though the zone 1 and canary wharf guys have amazing work ethic !

BangersAndMash

The problem is Britain is that there is a portion of society that live in what we call over here "something for nothing culture". Since the blues came in power with their coalition partner, there is a huge benefits shake up, as of now, it is very difficult to claim benefits and the people who have been on it for years are having their benefits stopped, cos they no longer qualify. For decades it has been all to easy to claim, but now the rules are very strict! Who knows how things will work out after the 2015 elections!

There are British go getters out there! It is thanks to them Britain is keeping it's head above water.

p2prada

I think this is a problem in the service sector and white collar jobs.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles