Tarpischev sanctioned for Williams comments

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Russian Tennis Federation President Shamil Tarpischev has been fined $25,000 by the WTA Tour and suspended from tour involvement for a year for questioning Serena and Venus Williams' gender in comments on Russian television.

The WTA Tour said Friday that the $25,000 fine is the maximum allowed under tour rules and that it is seeking Tarpischev's removal as chairman of the Kremlin Cup for one year. The tour also said Tarpischev owes Venus and Serena Williams a personal apology.
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla.: Tarpischev sanctioned for Williams comments | Tennis | NewsObserver.com
Russian Tennis Federation head Shamil Tarpischev was unrepentant about the comments he made about the Williams sisters, saying Saturday they were only meant as jokes and that he doesn't understand why he was banned for a year by the WTA Tour.

Tarpischev was fined $25,000 and suspended from tour involvement for a year after referring to Serena and Venus Williams as "brothers" on a Russian TV show and called them "scary" to look at.

Asked whether he regretted his comments, Tarpischev told The Associated Press at the Kremlin Cup that the program on which he spoke was "a humorous show," adding: "I don't answer stupid questions."
MOSCOW: Tarpischev: Williams comments meant as jokes | Tennis | NewsObserver.com

W.G.Ewald

Professional
The International Olympic Committee is asking Russian member Shamil Tarpischev for a "full explanation" of his comments about Venus and Serena Williams that led to him being fined and suspended by the women's tennis tour.

Tarpischev, head of the Russian tennis federation, was fined $25,000 and banned from the WTA Tour for a year after referring to the Williams sisters as "brothers" and saying they were "scary" to look at.

Tarpischev, who made the comments on a Russian television talk show, denied any "malicious intent" and said his quotes had been taken out of context.
LAUSANNE, Switzerland: IOC seeks explanation of Russian member's comments | Olympics | NewsObserver.com

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Serena Williams says comments by the head of the Russian Tennis Federation referring to her and older sister Venus as "brothers" were bullying, sexist and racist, and that she supported the one-year suspension imposed by the WTA against the official.

Shamil Tarpischev was also fined $25,000 for making the comments on Russian television. He also said the sisters were "scary" to look at.

"I think the WTA did a great job of taking (the) initiative and taking immediate action to his comments," Williams said Sunday in Singapore ahead of her WTA Finals defense. "I thought they were very insensitive and extremely sexist as well as racist at the same time. I thought they were in a way bullying. "
SINGAPORE: Serena Williams hits back at Russian official | Tennis | NewsObserver.com

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

Serena Williams says comments by the head of the Russian Tennis Federation referring to her and older sister Venus as "brothers" were bullying, sexist and racist, and that she supported the one-year suspension imposed by the WTA against the official.
Bullying- Agreed.
Sexist- Not sure
Racist- What ?
I haven't read all of Shamil's comments, though.

Looks like Serena can't take a joke. :lol:

http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/6067.jpg

Illusive

Country flag
I think this was a Ruskie Murican moment, like how Aussies and Poms get in the grove before an Ashes series. Sporting rivalries do heat up and tend to cross the line sometimes.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
I think this was a Ruskie Murican moment, like how Aussies and Poms get in the grove before an Ashes series. Sporting rivalries do heat up and tend to cross the line sometimes.
That's true.
But there is another angle. Media in America gets really worked up when it comes to Blacks. I guess it is true for several other countries too (India: "low castes")
Probably is an expression of over-protectiveness, stemming from guilt complexes.

Plus the media gets to fortify the general notion that Russians are nasty. Double win.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles