Tamil Nadu records 9.39 per cent growth rate

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Tamil Nadu, during the just concluded financial year of 2011-2012, recorded 9.39 per cent economic growth rate, the highest among southern States.

Last year, Karnataka posted 6.44 per cent growth rate; Andhra Pradesh – 6.81 per cent and Kerala - 7.8 per cent. The all-India average was 6.5 per cent, according to provisional figures available with the Central authorities.

Compared to the national average, Karnataka's rate was marginally behind; Andhra Pradesh's slightly higher and Kerala's perceptibly higher. But, it was Tamil Nadu which was much above the national figure. However, the growth rate of 10.95 per cent registered by the Union Territory of Puducherry was higher than that of Tamil Nadu. Another significant development the State witnessed last year was that it attained the second status in terms of the size of the economy, next to Maharashtra. In the process, Tamil Nadu overtook Uttar Pradesh and Andhra Pradesh. In 2011-2012, the value of the Gross State Domestic Product (at 2004-2005 prices) of Tamil Nadu was Rs. 4.28 lakh crore while it was Rs. 4.19 lakh crore in respect of Uttar Pradesh and Rs. 4.07 lakh crore in the case of Andhra Pradesh. The Maharashtra's GSDP value in 2010-2011 was Rs. 7.75 lakh crore, according to a senior policy maker.

Notwithstanding comparatively better performance last year, the State's economic growth rate was two percentage points less than that of the previous year. Considering the fact that 2011-2012 was the final year of the 11 Plan period, the State's growth rate saw its peak during 2010-2011 with 11.3 per cent.

The policymaker explains that the State's performance should be seen in a broader context, not in isolation. It is influenced by both global and national factors. Moreover, in 2010-2011, even the national growth rate figure was on the high side - 8.39 per cent, whereas in 2011-2012, there was a substantial fall.

One more aspect to be kept in mind is that the State operates on higher base unlike Bihar, which registered 13.13 per cent, the highest for the country during the previous year.

An analysis of the growth pattern reveals that the Services sector continues to dominate the economy. Segments such as financial services, real estate and hotel performed relatively well. Compared to 2010-2011, the secondary sector recovered marginally last year. The primary sector's performance – 2.63 per cent – was the best in the last five years, though it did not touch the targeted mark of four per cent.

The present government is keen on reversing the trend of the Services sector-led economic growth by providing greater push to agriculture and manufacturing, adds the policymaker.

The Hindu : States / Tamil Nadu : Tamil Nadu records 9.39 per cent growth rate

satish007

acha kaam, bahuth acha Tamil tigers, India should move captal to Chennai.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
how much is this growth due to sops and handouts ?

KS

Bye bye DFI

9.3% is excellent figure considering that this was the year with worst power cuts and most industries in my area were functioning at hardly 50% capacity due to power shortage. Once KNPP starts transmitting power, this year will be good. Infra development is also picking up steam with roads, flyovers being built and existing two laned highways being expanded to four lane. Two or three new ports are lined up for development and overall its looking good.

I dont think sops/freebies have anything to do with the growth....yes many freebies schemes are in the pipeline - free laptop and grinders are pending and Jaya has given a promise of mass marriage along with gifts and 4 gm gold to poor girls [first batch of 1006 girls got married last week]. I dont really mind spending some money on them considering money is also spent on essential services and frankly spending money to marry some poor girl is better than subsidising Akilesh and Mamta's aid packages.

acha kaam, bahuth acha Tamil tigers, India should move captal to Chennai.
No thanks....:D

arkem8

Country flag
9.3% is excellent figure considering that this was the year with worst power cuts and most industries in my area were functioning at hardly 50% capacity due to power shortage. Once KNPP starts transmitting power, this year will be good. Infra development is also picking up steam with roads, flyovers being built and existing two laned highways being expanded to four lane. Two or three new ports are lined up for development and overall its looking good.

I dont think sops/freebies have anything to do with the growth....yes many freebies schemes are in the pipeline - free laptop and grinders are pending and Jaya has given a promise of mass marriage along with gifts and 4 gm gold to poor girls [first batch of 1006 girls got married last week]. I dont really mind spending some money on them considering money is also spent on essential services and frankly spending money to marry some poor girl is better than subsidising Akilesh and Mamta's aid packages.
Is there any visible change in the leadership at the state level since 2011

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Growth can be generated by sops and handouts???? :wat::shocked:

TN ruled by a Non congress party is growing at 9.3% growth when Growth of India is 6.5%.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag

Well said, and AFAIK< all are from state budget:cool2:

Neil

Country flag

dude...are u kidding me...!!with all the problem u just said...its trying to be modest of your growth....truly amazing achievement by TN...!!!:thumb:

Reactions: KS

trackwhack

Growth can be generated by sops and handouts???? :wat::shocked:

TN ruled by a Non congress party is growing at 9.3% growth when Growth of India is 6.5%.
Yes. Its a good thing to learn what gross productivity actually is.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Well, to say frankly, my area was unaffected by the irregularities that supposedly pervaded the last DMK govt and hence there is no perciptible change according to me.

but one difference has been that the power situation has improved dramatically and the infra dev has also been given a push.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
You seem hell bent on proving your ignorance. Time to leave.

Handouts cant keep up the growth momentum of any sate. And for the info of the geniuses here, nothing has changed regarding the amount of govt money(state) spend on handouts and what you lot are seeing is not because of Handouts.:namaste:

Last edited:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
If you mean the JJ's head weight? then no.

If you are talking about governance, then definitely yes

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Well, to say frankly, my area was unaffected by the irregularities that supposedly pervaded the last DMK govt and hence there is no perciptible change according to me.

but one difference has been that the power situation has improved dramatically and the infra dev has also been given a push.
So your area is pro-DMK??

How does it work in TN?? Do these two parties have committed voters based on region?

KS

Bye bye DFI
dude...are u kidding me...!!with all the problem u just said...its trying to be modest of your growth....truly amazing achievement by TN...!!!:thumb:
Yes 9.3 is an excellent figure, but the point to note is , it is actually less than previous year [2010-2011] where it was 11.3% and with the power shortage it makes sense that the growth has actually dipped.

But I believe it is a temporary dip and this year it will be better considering KNPP is coming online in another two weeks and there is a rumor doing rounds that Mahindra is going to choose TN for its biggest investment till now.

Last edited:

KS

Bye bye DFI

How does it work in TN?? Do these two parties have committed voters based on region?
Not exactly...My caste is actually more pro-ADMK than pro-DMK. But our area lacks a strong regional DMK man and that proved to be our blessing as DMK were limited hence. Cities with strong DMK leaders like Alagiri in Madurai, Veerapandi Arumugham in Salem have a more negative perception of DMK.

In TN, its more like a pendulum...earlier it used to be like ADMK strong in Southern TN and DMK more sucessfull in central and Northern TN..but it is impossible to specify "this area is ADMK", "this area is DMK"..anymore..

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag

Its not like that. Both have their socially engineered vote bank for them who vote for only that particular party. For instance, SC vote banks are polarised to DMK and MBC vote banks for ADMK;)

The neutral votes swing both sides deciding the fate of the election.

We have seen changes in the places which are traditional strongholds of either parties. SO no place can be called a particular party's area

Neil

Country flag
Yes 9.3 is an excellent figure, but the point to note is , it is actually less than previous year [2101-2011] where it was 11.3% and with the power shortage it makes sense that the growth has actually dipped.

But I believe it is a temporary dip and this year it will be better considering KNPP is coming online in another two weeks and there is a rumor doing rounds that Mahindra is going to choose TN for its biggest investment till now.
yeah thats why i said truly amazing figures...and considering that India's growth has slowed overall plus all the problems u mentioned....just awesome...!!

wow....thats a great news....any idea how much money are we talking about...?

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles