Tamil Nadu has highest percentage of widowed/divorced in India

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Yusuf, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

NEW DELHI: Tamil Nadu was home to the highest percentage of widowed/divorced or separated (WDS) individuals in India in 2010 (8.8%) while Delhi had the lowest (4.1%).

Maharashtra figured in both the top five lists of highest percentage of WDS overall and females. The percentage of WDS females was almost three times that of men (2.9% against 10%).

Altogether, 7% of the population aged 10 and above were either widowed, divorced or separated in 2010 in India, according to the Registrar General of India's Sample Registration System 2010 data finalized and submitted to the Union health ministry on Saturday.

Some big states like Andhra Pradesh, Kerala and Karnataka recorded WDS population as high as 8.2%, followed by Odisha (7.2), Himachal Pradesh (7.1%) and Maharashtra (7%).

UP's WDS men count stood at 3.7%, followed by Punjab (3.4), Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh (3.3). As far as women WDS were concerned, TN again topped the list with 14.5% of its population above the age of 10 belonging to this category, followed by Karnataka (14.2), Kerala (14), Andhra Pradesh (13.6) and Maharashtra (11.7).

In West Bengal, the number of WDS women was almost six times higher than their male counterparts, according to the data.

States record more divorced or widowed women than men

While the percentage of widowed/divorced or separated (WDS) men in West Bengal was as low as 1.9%, it was 11.4% for women in that category, according to the Registrar General of India's Sample Registration System 2010 data finalized and submitted to the Union health ministry on Saturday.

Several other states recorded a large gap between the WDS men and women. Take for example the case of Andhra Pradesh. The WDS among women were close to 14% as compared to 2.7% among men.

In the case of Assam, WDS among men was 2.3% against 9.6% in women. In Himachal Pradesh, WDS among men and women were 3.2% against 10.8% among females, Kerala 1.8% against 14%, Maharashtra 2.4% against 11.7%, and Odisha 3.1% WDS men against 11.2% women.

The Sample Registration System 2010 also reveals extensive data on the population which was married in 2010 and those who weren't.

The percentage of married population in 2010 was 57.7% against 35.9%, who were never married. Jammu and Kashmir recorded the highest number of "never married people" at 45.4% against the lowest in Andhra Pradesh at 30.4%.

Assam recorded 42.3%, followed by UP (41.6%), Jharkhand (38.5%), Delhi (38.4%), Maharashtra (35.5%), Karnataka (34.5%) and Maharashtra (32%). Gujarat and Andhra Pradesh recorded the highest percentage of married individuals at 61.4%, followed by Maharashtra (61%), Kerala and West Bengal (60.1%), Rajasthan and Chhattisgarh (59.8%).

http://m.timesofindia.com/PDATOI/articleshow/12541325.cms

3. plugwater

plugwater Elite Member Elite Member

This news makes me proud :)

We are getting divorce instead of having secret affairs :D

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
    Mad Indian likes this.
  4. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

Great Going TN- we are modernising fast :bounce:

5. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

This is bad man...Family is one sacred institution and family values are at the core of our culture...:(

maomao likes this.
  6. plugwater

This is because of arrange marriages!! I blame all the oldies :)

7. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

I read this, this morning.

It indicates social changes taking place in an otherwise conservative society!.

They are a very religious lot of people.

8. KS

Rather I see love marriages falling apart sooner than arranged marriages....oldies dont let arranged marriages to fall apart so soon...they do endless panchayat and somehow maake it work again..:D

But love marriages...have you seen Nadodigal movie ?

9. Mad Indian

WTH man. The Adultary rates in India is much higher than many countries. Would you rather want these idiots to follow the pseudo-family value non sense and screw behind the backs instead of being open about what they want?

10. Mad Indian

:dude: It does not matter- two people decide thay cant live together any more- should be able to get seperated. And after that they should be able to get on with their lives. That is all.

Liberty_and_Freedom likes this.
  11. plugwater

Seriously i dont want to live with someone just because oldies say so, it will lead to further complication!!

Yes i did not like that movie, you should see some old movies for arrange marriage failures :)

12. KS

So what if they commit adultery...families in ancient India had more than one wife..we need to go back to our roots.

13. plugwater

That is not possible with only 995 females for every 1000 males in TN.

14. KS

No...I've seen people wanting to separate for such trivial things like the hubby accidentally locked her out one day after office, or he did not buy her , her favorite necklace for the anniversary.

Parents are aboviously needed to take some sense into them...and with increasin salaries such willingness to stick with each other has only gone down...

15. plugwater

If one is that dumb whatever parents say to him/her wont make much sense.

16. Yusuf

Multiple Excuses can be found if one really wants a divorce.

Arranged or love does not make a difference. Love marriages break down as well. A friend of mine separated 6 months after marriage and then divorced his wife. Beat part is that he dated that girl for over two years and moved heaven an earth to marry her as he is a Marwari and the girl a Telugu ( don't know what caste). It all starts when the girls said she will not meet any of the boys family. For what? No one knows.

17. Yusuf

Arranged love is a good system that works for us. I don't know about others. I was introduced to my wife through common friends. We met and met again and decided to see if we could work a relationship.

We got engaged and that lasted 5 years before we got married.

In a similar way, my sister broke her relationship after being engaged to a person for nearly 2 years and then found someone who was compatible with her. All arranged and sanctions by family.

18. Mad Indian

:facepalm: People who are so stupid to want seperation for that dont deserve to be together. Ok how about his- you find out that your wife is having an affair- dont take it personal just think about it, will you want divorce or not?

19. Liberty_and_Freedom

Liberty_and_Freedom Regular Member

I agree with Mad Indian, divorce is a personal decision between two people. Let them exercise their mental faculties and slog it out.
    Why look for societal intervention in everything ?
    Cant people take responsibility for their own actions ?
    Let them execute their free will, and be responsible for the consequences. If their decision is 'stupid', this is not the last time or the first time they made a 'stupid decison'. Our intervening in one instance wont make their life "rosy". Enough of self righteous parochial behaviour;leave them be folks.

Mad Indian, plugwater and The Messiah like this.