Taliban leader Mullah Omar vowed to take Kabul 'within a week' of U.S.

boris

Country flag
Re: Taliban leader Mullah Omar vowed to take Kabul 'within a week' of

Taliban/Al Qaeda may now be willing to take revenge for the way US/NATO fought war there, with more strength this time............
The only people they'll end up fighting in the same vicious style like the Soviets,NA are the ANA and other CIA friendly warlords. They know it very well they aren't no match for the US hence you don't see them fighting with the same ferocity as was with the Soviets, who though were a superpower too but that fight was for all different reasons leading to a USSR vs Muslims world fight in that region.

I do agree that the one-eyed emir will come back to fight and with ISI support nonetheless but the ANA is lets say a better equipped,better trained and yes experienced force too for all the raids they have conducted along with ISAF forces so the fighting will be bad a**, Pakistan's support might not match the ones like the mid 90's because Pakistan wasn't in the horrid state it is in today, yes you can support but with more support you need to spend more, I don't see the ISI doing that and yes let me add here Pakistan will have to fight the TTP and the anti Pakistan Army elements that are in Swat, these people didn't even exist during the Soviet pullout.

The last war was a war in which Pakistan supported these very people, this time they have had to fight them and its been said that a lot of these elements have been royally pissed off because of this hence you see people like the TTP.

All this taken into consideration will still not stop the vicious fighting to be seen in both Afghanistan and Pakistan. It's time we seal 'em borders pretty tight, let these clowns fight it out among themselves.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

We have 300000+ personnel in uniform, at least 10k of which are elite special forces and I would put them against any number of Taliban the ISI may wish to push into AFG. Most people forget that in its heyday, the vast fighting force of Taliban were actually plain-clothes PA soldiers, so that could be a bit of a problem. HOWEVER, the the main issue that will impede any significant Taliban military operations is the size of an attacking force in a particular battlefield. Put too few men and they will be quickly taken out, commit too many men and air power will wipe them out.

The biggest problem Afghanistan faces is not the will of its military, but a weak-ass political government headed by Karzai. It needs a strong leader.
Any possibility of Amanullah Saleh becoming president ?

p2prada

The Taliban has little capability against ANA.

Also, I think the US plans on stationing drones and F-16s for a longer duration along with special forces while major ground operations will be taken over by ANA.

Afghan air force is pushing for second hand F-16s.

EDIT: What is interesting is that the Afghan military budget (aid of course) is twice that of the Pakistan Army.

Last edited:

datguy79

None, at least right now. He doesn't have the political sway or financial capital for an effective campaign, so he will in all likelihood put his support behind Governer Atta Nur, who has made Balkh province a model of prosperity (think of him as an Afghan Narendra Modi.) He is also a former commander under Massoud, so that gives him lots of political points. The deadline for registration is in September, so there will be lots of backstage dealing in order to put forward a "consensus" candidate by then.

However, Saleh has started a mass grassroots movement (The Green Trend) which regularly holds huge rallies in support of ANSF, so he is probably starting from the bottom and aiming for future elections down the road.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag

We have 300000+ personnel in uniform, at least 10k of which are elite special forces and I would put them against any number of Taliban the ISI may wish to push into AFG. Most people forget that in its heyday, the vast fighting force of Taliban were actually plain-clothes PA soldiers, so that could be a bit of a problem. HOWEVER, the the main issue that will impede any significant Taliban military operations is the size of an attacking force in a particular battlefield. Put too few men and they will be quickly taken out, commit too many men and air power will wipe them out.

The biggest problem Afghanistan faces is not the will of its military, but a weak-ass political government headed by Karzai. It needs a strong leader.
When NATO forces pulls out what help can India provide to Afghanistan in case ISI backed terrorist groups become bold enough to launch attacks in future?

TrueSpirit

The Taliban has little capability against ANA.

Also, I think the US plans on stationing drones and F-16s for a longer duration along with special forces while major ground operations will be taken over by ANA.

Afghan air force is pushing for second hand F-16s.

EDIT: What is interesting is that the Afghan military budget (aid of course) is twice that of the Pakistan Army.
Taliban does not need that. There mere presence of blondes (read, Western Special forces) on Af-stan soil usually prompts the bystanders to come out with their Ak's & small arms in support of their coreligionist Pakhtoon brethren against infidel heathens. That is, when these accidental guerrilla do not have any personal grudges with Western forces or any bonhomie with Taliban. They do it because of their deep ethnic-religious ties. These accidental guerrilla constitute 90% of Taliban ground forces.

Right, @Kunal Biswas ?

As long as ANA does not become completely self-reliant (at least, overtly) in mounting sustained campaigns against the Taliban (i.e. as long as they need backing of Western special forces on ground), they do not stand a chance against the rag-tag Taliban, who have the Pakhtoon populace on their side. And these Afghan Pakhtoon have deep ethnic, economic, cultural & familial-blood ties with their increasingly dominant, all-pervasive & vocal Pakhtoon brethren on the other side of border. ISI doesn't have much trouble in manipulating majority of Pakhtoon community at their will.

I have said it earlier & would reiterate the same: As long as there's oil in Arab wells, demand for Hashish in West & Western ground forces in Af-stan, there is no stopping the Taliban-ISI-Saudi from running the show. Right @datguy79 ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

I am sure, you mean the other way around, 95% people are non Taliban just regular afghan joe don't wanna miss his life time opportunity in a fire fight..

These accidental guerrilla constitute 90% of Taliban ground forces.

hello_10

Tihar Jail
Banned

The only people they'll end up fighting in the same vicious style like the Soviets,NA are the ANA and other CIA friendly warlords. They know it very well they aren't no match for the US hence you don't see them fighting with the same ferocity as was with the Soviets, who though were a superpower too but that fight was for all different reasons leading to a USSR vs Muslims world fight in that region.

I do agree that the one-eyed emir will come back to fight and with ISI support nonetheless but the ANA is lets say a better equipped,better trained and yes experienced force too for all the raids they have conducted along with ISAF forces so the fighting will be bad a**, Pakistan's support might not match the ones like the mid 90's because Pakistan wasn't in the horrid state it is in today, yes you can support but with more support you need to spend more, I don't see the ISI doing that and yes let me add here Pakistan will have to fight the TTP and the anti Pakistan Army elements that are in Swat, these people didn't even exist during the Soviet pullout.

The last war was a war in which Pakistan supported these very people, this time they have had to fight them and its been said that a lot of these elements have been royally pissed off because of this hence you see people like the TTP.

All this taken into consideration will still not stop the vicious fighting to be seen in both Afghanistan and Pakistan. It's time we seal 'em borders pretty tight, let these clowns fight it out among themselves.

look, USSR didn't do continuous years long bombing on the Afghan civilians like US, including their continuous efforts to convert the Afghans into Christianity..... USSR never did mass bombing on the Afghan civilians, like how US/West have been bombing on the different marriage ceremonies/ residential areas through drones in search of Taliban fighters. USSR never fought for culture/ religion/race etc in Afghan :nono:

USSR's Afghan government was even recognized by UN, had recognition from many countries also. while US's made Taliban were the only militia group :usa:

9/11 2001, the cause of Afghan intervention, resulted in death of around 5000 US's civilians, while US has scored over 50,000+ civilians only in Afghan since 2002....... there might be many generation of those Afghan's, who might be willing to take revenge for the way their family members were killed by US's forces, mainly in drone attacks on the common public in hunt of Taliban Fighters. in case of any new 9/11 type attack on US/NATO members, not only Afghan but even Pakistan's government may hardly say that neither US/NATO were punished for the way they did in that region nor they could find out those Pushtuns who conducted the recent attacks on the US/NATO countries. as it was always clear that US/West won't bomb on the western civilians in the same way as they did in that region in hunt of few militants.....:ranger:

i don't mean that any type of terror attack on US/EU is justified as they also did the same in Afghan/ Pak's tribal areas :nono:. but I'm just trying to confirm the usual talks on the Pakistan's Afghan's forums, as i have read during last 6-7 years, mainly since 2007. :thumb:

hello_10

Tihar Jail
Banned

I am sure, you mean the other way around, 95% people are non Taliban just regular afghan joe don't wanna miss his life time opportunity in a fire fight..

look, Afghans are mainly Muslims, and they have full experience of religious attitude of West....... they will finally join Arab for their long wars with Western Christianity.... i have enough experience of Australia and have a look on this vedio as below and see what the 'Lawyer' of the Afghan refugees is saying in between 0.5min to 1.5 min as below...... have you lived in West? do you know, how exactly Muslims are considered as a threat for the western society???????

hello_10

Tihar Jail
Banned

When NATO forces pulls out what help can India provide to Afghanistan in case ISI backed terrorist groups become bold enough to launch attacks in future?

Forget logic. It is Afghans themselves who choose Mullah over America (=progress and civilization)

Partition may be the way to contain mullahs.
look, USSR didn't do continuous years long bombing on the Afghan civilians like US, including their continuous efforts to convert the Afghans into Christianity..... USSR never did mass bombing on the Afghan civilians, like how US/West have been bombing on the different marriage ceremonies/ residential areas through drones in search of Taliban fighters. USSR never fought for culture/ religion/race etc in Afghan :nono:

USSR's Afghan government was even recognized by UN, had recognition from many countries also. while US's made Taliban were the only militia group :usa:

9/11 2001, the cause of Afghan intervention, resulted in death of around 5000 US's civilians, while US has scored over 50,000+ civilians only in Afghan since 2002....... there might be many generation of those Afghan's, who might be willing to take revenge for the way their family members were killed by US's forces, mainly in drone attacks on the common public in hunt of Taliban Fighters. in case of any new 9/11 type attack on US/NATO members, not only Afghan but even Pakistan's government may hardly say that neither US/NATO were punished for the way they did in that region nor they could find out those Pushtuns who conducted the recent attacks on the US/NATO countries. as it was always clear that US/West won't bomb on the western civilians in the same way as they did in that region in hunt of few militants.....:ranger:

i don't mean that any type of terror attack on US/EU is justified as they also did the same in Afghan/ Pak's tribal areas :nono:. but I'm just trying to confirm the usual talks on the Pakistan's Afghan's forums, as i have read during last 6-7 years, mainly since 2007. :thumb:

SU and US were just opposite. and one 'basic' difference was the 'democracy' itself. and you dont 'believe' in 'democracy', you are less likely to be considered even as 'human' :wave:..... :usa:

(the last post was about the main Sydney Detention Centre)

=> The Crusade for a Christian Military, the US/NATO forces
=> DEMOCRACY NOW! -

The military is denying it allows its soldiers to proselytize to Afghans, following the release of footage showing US soldiers in Afghanistan discussing how to distribute Bibles translated into Pashto and Dari. We speak to Air Force veteran and former Reagan administration counsel Mikey Weinstein, founder of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, and journalist Jeff Sharlet, author of a Harper's Magazine article on "The Crusade for a Christian Military."

The former prime minister of Afghanistan Ahmed Shah Ahmedzai has called for an investigation into allegations that US soldiers are trying to convert Afghans to Christianity, saying: "This is a complete deviation from what they are supposed to be doing."

His comments come after a report on Al Jazeera showed footage of soldiers at Bagram air base discussing how to distribute Bibles translated into Pashto and Dari. The US military is denying it allows its soldiers to proselytize to Afghans. The military claims the Bibles shown in the video had been confiscated and destroyed and were "never distributed." Admiral Mike Mullen told a Pentagon briefing Monday: "It certainly is, from the United States military's perspective, not our position to ever push any specific kind of religion, period."

The Pentagon has also sharply criticized Al Jazeera for releasing the year-old footage which was shot by filmmaker and former soldier Brian Hughes. Military spokesperson Colonel Greg Julian said: "Most of this is taken out of context. This is irresponsible and inappropriate journalism. There is no effort to go out and proselytize to Afghans."

On Tuesday, Al Jazeera released unedited footage of the US soldiers' bible study in Bagram to counter the Pentagon"s allegations. These excerpts from the unedited video show military chaplain Captain Emmit Furner leading the discussion on the definition of the US Central Command's General Order Number One that explicitly forbids active duty troops from trying to convert people to any religion.

Excerpts of Al Jazeera footage.

I'm joined now by two guests who have closely followed this story. Jeff Sharlet is a contributing editor for Harper's Magazine and joins me from Rochester, New York. He is author of "The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power" which is coming out in paperback next month. His latest article is the cover story of the May issue of Harper's magazine. Its called "Jesus Killed Mohammed: The Crusade for a Christian Military."

We're also joined from Albuquerque, New Mexico by Mikey Weinstein, an Air Force veteran and founder of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation. A registered Republican, he served as legal counsel to the Reagan administration for three years and is the author of "With God On Our Side: One Man's War Against an Evangelical Coup in America's Military."

We spoke with Colonel Greg Julian in Afghanistan and invited him on the program but he declined to join us.

Jeff Sharlet, contributing editor for Harper's Magazine. He is author of The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power, which is coming out in paperback next month.

Mikey Weinstein, Air Force veteran and founder of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation. A registered Republican, he served as legal counsel to the Reagan administration for three years. He is the author of With God on Our Side: One Man's War Against an Evangelical Coup in America's Military.

=> DEMOCRACY NOW! -

=> DEMOCRACY NOW! -

here, from 2.50min onward, if we try to make sense of the soldier's instructor then he clearly means to say to the US's soldiers that they are fighting for Christianity in Afghan and its their duty to serve Jesus. a clear sense, as explained in the same video after that also

in fact, US is habituated of organising wars for Christianity on time to time, see during Iraq War also as below:

TrueSpirit

Yes, that's right. 95% are not regular Taliban but regular afghan joe fighting alongside Taliban & this is Taliban's main strength.

Well, as I said & you must have realized, I have seen the hour long video you shared. Would share my takeaways & my take on that.

Last edited:

amoy

Where will such equipment flow >>

U.S. Army To Scrap $7 Billion In Equipment In Afghanistan | UPR Utah Public Radio

Military planners for the U.S. Army have decided not to ship back more than $7 billion of equipment — about 20 percent of what the Army brought into Afghanistan — because the shipping costs are too high and the need for the used equipment too low. Instead, the Army is destroying the equipment in-country: shredding it, crushing it and selling it on the Afghan scrap market.

The equipment destruction is likely to raise questions in both the U.S. and Afghanistan about military planning and whether the U.S. Army should be finding ways for its vehicles and machinery to get reused. Shipping the equipment back to the U.S. or to other allied nations seems too costly, and donating it to the Afghans is complicated owing to thorny rules surrounding giving equipment to other countries, the Post reported. As such, Army officials have opted to destroy it.

Much of the equipment being destroyed comes in the form of mine-resistant, ambush-protected vehicles, or MRAPs, hulking vehicles built to counter the threat of roadside bombs. MRAPs cost approximately $1 million each, and the Army has labeled about 2,000 of the 11,000 MRAPs in Afghanistan "excess." The remaining 9,000 will be shipped out of the country for use elsewhere.

datguy79

Taliban does not need that. There mere presence of blondes (read, Western Special forces) on Af-stan soil usually prompts the bystanders to come out with their Ak's & small arms in support of their coreligionist Pakhtoon brethren against infidel heathens. That is, when these accidental guerrilla do not have any personal grudges with Western forces or any bonhomie with Taliban. They do it because of their deep ethnic-religious ties. These accidental guerrilla constitute 90% of Taliban ground forces.

Right, @Kunal Biswas ?

As long as ANA does not become completely self-reliant (at least, overtly) in mounting sustained campaigns against the Taliban (i.e. as long as they need backing of Western special forces on ground), they do not stand a chance against the rag-tag Taliban, who have the Pakhtoon populace on their side. And these Afghan Pakhtoon have deep ethnic, economic, cultural & familial-blood ties with their increasingly dominant, all-pervasive & vocal Pakhtoon brethren on the other side of border. ISI doesn't have much trouble in manipulating majority of Pakhtoon community at their will.

I have said it earlier & would reiterate the same: As long as there's oil in Arab wells, demand for Hashish in West & Western ground forces in Af-stan, there is no stopping the Taliban-ISI-Saudi from running the show. Right @datguy79 ?
About 150 Taliban were taken off the battlefield just today, with 99 killed.

As long as there is an open border, there will be Taliban coming through, however they are not some super warrior race but in fact poorly trained foot soldiers who incur heavy casualties daily. If the new government can spray the poppy fields and put more soldiers on the border, then that will go a long way to lessening any impact the Taliban might have. The ISI factor will always be there, however it is time for Afghans to get proactive.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

Please check this interview @datguy79

http://mobile.tolonews.com/purso-pal/10957

Its a half an hour interview of Amrullah Saleh. Please translate and post a brief of what he has said on the talks between US and Taliban

TrueSpirit

As long as there is an open border, there will be Taliban coming through, however they are not some super warrior race but in fact poorly trained foot soldiers who incur heavy casualties daily. If the new government can spray the poppy fields and put more soldiers on the border, then that will go a long way to lessening any impact the Taliban might have. The ISI factor will always be there, however it is time for Afghans to get proactive.
But haven't the above measures already been tried before (the Bold part) ? Only to be realized soon that the ongoing trade was far too profitable to liquidate altogether & the powers that-be prefer to get a pie of the cake.

Country flag

What a waste of time,money and effort by USA it must be true democrats cannot win wars.

datguy79

But haven't the above measures already been tried before (the Bold part) ? Only to be realized soon that the ongoing trade was far too profitable to liquidate altogether & the powers that-be prefer to get a pie of the cake.
Regarding the poppy fields, yes there have been efforts; but nothing as drastic as spraying all the fields in the country, but it is about time they do it. Afghanistan already has more than 1 million addicts itself, time to nip the problem in the bud. (And yes there is corruption and inaction at the local levels, which is why action must come directly from the top.)

As for soldiers, not really. There are about 12000 border police forces (for all the borders) but Karzai refuses to put soldiers or infrastructure on the border because it will damage the government's official stance of non-recognition of the Durand line.
@Yusuf heading to a birthday party now, will translate it by the end of tonight.

datguy79

@Yusuf

Here are the interesting parts of the interview:

- Taliban office may lead to a parallel government like Hezbollah in Lebanon, which is unacceptable in any form.
- The talks in Qatar should be discredited since they are essentially between the ISI (represented by the Taliban) and the US, without any Afghan government involvement, which is the voice of the Afghan people since it came to power in a democratic election.
- The US was dishonest in providing a platform for the Taliban to propagate their propaganda without sincere commitments to peace from them.
- "I am not worried about Pakistani efforts to cause enmity between Afghans. Afghanistan has been a nation-state for a few centuries now and it will remain that way."
- End goal of the Taliban and Pakistan is the creation of a "state within a state"
- "Our fight has always been for Afghanistan to have a sovereign voice, not that a Taliban spy can speak on its behalf in Qatar and we remain silent."
- A policy of adhering to Taliban demands was first conceived within the inner circle of Karzai (many of whom are pro-Pakistani) in late 2008.
- Karzai has launched a witch-hunt on the political opposition, the same people who brought him to power and who adhere to law, while praising the Taliban as his "brothers".
- Finally coming back to the "state within a state" remark, the Taliban and by extension ISI want to create more Waziristans out of eastern Afghanistan, and any government in Kabul which allows such a thing will be faced with tremendous pressure and even more (though he didn't mention military action).

There were more topics, but they were more or less versions of what I had posted above. The interviewer was a huge douchebag and kept interrupting him, otherwise he might have mentioned a few more interesting tidbits.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag

A lot of Pashtuns are joining Taliban because they resent other ethnic groups being given preference. Next challenge would be to bring more Pashtun moderations into the fold of the state apparatus and fight this negative perception.

pankajprandhe

None, at least right now. He doesn't have the political sway or financial capital for an effective campaign, so he will in all likelihood put his support behind Governer Atta Nur, who has made Balkh province a model of prosperity (think of him as an Afghan Narendra Modi.) He is also a former commander under Massoud, so that gives him lots of political points. The deadline for registration is in September, so there will be lots of backstage dealing in order to put forward a "consensus" candidate by then.

However, Saleh has started a mass grassroots movement (The Green Trend) which regularly holds huge rallies in support of ANSF, so he is probably starting from the bottom and aiming for future elections down the road.
Narendra Modi of Afganistan !!! It seems that Narendra Modi has become Global/Regional Popular Leader these Days.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles